Fiberglass Resin Hardener - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiberglass Resin Hardener
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:07 PM
Where do you guys buy your hardener. Autozone has eye dropper sized things for 3 bucks. I've gone through 3 already without using too much resin. I know I'm not the only one that thinks its a scam, but I haven't found a larger size anywhere.

Re: Fiberglass Resin Hardener
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:01 PM
One of those eye dropper things is good enough for a half gallon of resin.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:40 PM
It says 50 drops for 8 oz. There's only about 100 drops in one if that.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:06 AM
you're doing it wrong.

The hardeners that come with the resin are plenty. If you're using more than that, you're not mixing correctly, and are probably making your resin brittle.

"You cannot make a poor man wealthy by making a wealthy man poor"
"The inmates are running the Asylum"
Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:05 PM
you can get larger hardener from most hardwares stores. but as said above each thing of resin you buy has enough hardener with it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:29 PM
I tried a little bit of resin with a few drops of hardener and it still set, just took longer. So I used only a few drops on each of the batches after that and it all works fine now. Their labels are wrong, you can't go by what they say, only by guestimate.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:52 PM
I get all of my paint and body work supply's I go to the local Automotive paint store called (Finish Masters) or a place called APC (automotive paint company)

Look in your local phone book. (yellow pages) let your fingers do the walking ..

good luck

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:39 AM
tyler wojo wrote:I tried a little bit of resin with a few drops of hardener and it still set, just took longer. So I used only a few drops on each of the batches after that and it all works fine now. Their labels are wrong, you can't go by what they say, only by guestimate.

labels aren't wrong. you're doing it wrong. remember that the cooler the temp, usually the more hardener you have to use. could be your issue.

"You cannot make a poor man wealthy by making a wealthy man poor"
"The inmates are running the Asylum"
Friday, March 27, 2009 11:19 PM
haha...the label is wrong

. Like said above...what temperature are you working with it in? When it's colder it will take a much longer time to cure...try using a heater/heat lamp near your work to help it cure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search