anti theft question - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
anti theft question
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:45 AM
Hi guys,

Ok, I go to look at this this 97 sunfire gt 2.4 to purchase for my son.
Dead battery, guy says there is a problem with charging system, but that it will start with a jump.
Tried jumping car, will not start. Pulled battery out of his car put it in sunfire and the car started.
I drove it around the parking lot. Not blowing oil, brakes are shot.
I am an industrial mechanic, I can handle repairing the brakes and charging system, I agree to purchase.

I came end of week, put in a new battery, car started drove it up on the dolly, paid the guy, towed the car home.

Went to pull it off the dolly, car will not start.
Turn the key, no solenoid click, no nothing.
Solid anti theft light on dash when ever I put the car in ignition position. I dont know if this comes up every time the key is in that position or not.
Tried a lot of things, still would not start.
I finally applied the emergency brake, put the car in neutral and pulled the dolly out from under the car to get it off the dolly.

Researched the non starting thing on the internet, found the crazy crap about gms anti theft.
The forums I found before this one said the light would have to be flashing for the anti theft to be active and gave the following solution.

" Turn the key to ignition let it sit that way for ten minutes, turn off for ten minutes, start car. "

Even though the anti theft light on my car is not flashing, I did the 10 minutes on with light showing, turned car off for ten minutes,
Starter will not turn over, no solenoid click.

Some forums say the anti theft disables the starter and the engine just spins. Some say the anti theft kills all ignition functions.
Maybe that it does both according to year of manufacture.
Anyone know which statement above is correct for a 97?

Here is the question. I turn the ignition on and have a solid anti theft reading in upper left of dash, not a flashing anti theft.
Does that mean the anti theft has been activated or do I have a starter / connection issue?
If ithis is a anti theft issue, was this caused by the angle of the dolly or what?
We had a battery in and out three or four times (which the other forums say will activate the anti theft) and it started fine, I put it on the dolly and no startee.

I have a new battery installed so I know that is not it.

I am going to do some troubleshooting today to check to see if solenoid on starter is getting juice.

I found a funky ground wire from the battery to the block and will be replacing that and cleaning any ground
wire / mounting surface that I can find.

I will also look in the library to see if I can find anything on the anti theft.

Thanks to all in advance......gary

Re: anti theft question
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:18 AM
Ok, found stuff on the anti theft system.

It says flashing anti theft means it is active.

So, a coincidence that the starter died after putting it on the dolly?
the fact that it started repeatedly up to that point seemed suspicious to me
but that doesn't mean i'm right.

As soon as I get someone to key the ignition for me, I will check with an ammeter to see what I am getting at the battery post of the starter.

thanks...gary
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:13 PM
Give the starter a few love taps, check to see if you do have voltage going to the starter.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:16 PM
I whacked the solenoid, the starter itself got nothing. Jumped the switch terminal directly to the pos side of the battery as told to do in my Haynes manual and got nothing.
Looks like I am pulling the starter. I have started a thread in maintenance forum about this. Thanks for the reply...gary

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search