Good Deal? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good Deal?
Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:20 PM
I bought my first J Body, it a 1998 sunfire 2.2L here it the web site. And i only paid $550 for but it needs a head gasket but that is like $100.

What do you think?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Pontiac-1998-Pontiac-Sunfire-LOTS-OF-UPGRADES-W0QQAdIdZ121024557

Re: Good Deal?
Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:09 PM
Providing the car body is relatively rust free and the interior is good.

FYI, Take a real good look at that head while you have it off. They tend to crack around the exhaust valve and I've seen one cracked from the intake all the way through the spark plug hole and twice on the exhaust side!
When this happens, you go buy a head.
I'd suggest getting it planed or at least checked for flatness by a machine shop. You really can't check for flat yourself without a high quality straightedge.

Dave
Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:21 PM
My dad has been a machanic for over 35years so he will know what to do i will do most of the work tho. But do you think it is a deal?
Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:06 PM
Maybee.... although if it was me.... I would have made them fix the car themselves before I bought it.

Although... for $550 if it's got a blown head gasket.... that would be a good car to just drop an Ecotec in (and get some rims) and you'd be good to go for reletivley little cash.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:49 PM
Did you read the add? Her father died and she cant fix it so she is selling it. I havent seen it in person because i had to work but its got bucket seats and some cool @!#$ on it. I have been looking for some used rims but havnt found any yet.
Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:24 PM
it doesnt seem like its too bad of a deal for $500. I honesltly would be very suprised if there were no rust though seeing as it is in canada with the snow/ salt on the roads its prob a safe bet that there is some (prob underneath the doors) good luck with it and like weebel said swap an Eco

Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:08 PM
i think she must have oil sprayed it each year.
Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:15 PM
if its not a rust bucket and its got a good interior, I'd say its a good deal.. a strait body is hard to come by. but the Eco-swap sounds like a bad idea unless you can buy an entire donor car.. pre-'00 swaps require a complete strip-down and rewire, as well as rewelding the rear tranny mount.. not to mention all the other bullsh*t you gotta change out

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:42 PM
yeah im not looking to own it for to long, gonna drive it for a while because i sold my 00' ram and a i am stuck driving my dads sierra and moms aztek () and then sell it am hopefully make $1000 + or part it out?
Monday, April 20, 2009 11:44 PM
Ehhh... you wouldnt need a donor car..... just a salvage yard... a pickup truck full of tools, and a few friends... (although donor would be preferable)

ya it's a lot of work..... but its cost efficient..

If its a temp car.... and all it needs is the gasket and you can do it easy.... doesnt sound like to bad a deal.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search