gauge cluster not working - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gauge cluster not working
Monday, April 20, 2009 9:46 PM
Hello im new to the forum i have a question about the gauge cluster not working. Nothing turns on except the check engine light and anti theft light. I did a head gasket on the car and had the battery disconnected. The cluster worked fine before this. I have searched the net haven't found anything. It is a 2000 cavalier with a 2.2 OHV engine with a automatic tranny. I have check all fuses and they are fine. So what is next? Does anyone have any idea what to do any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: gauge cluster not working
Monday, April 20, 2009 9:54 PM
double check the fuses... sometimes you can have a blown fuse and it wont even look blown.. happened to me, a fuse can also have a hair line break

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:16 PM
Is it plugged In?

Actually I'm suriouse....check your wiring harness also and make sure everything is plugged in / together.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:58 AM
i didt unplug the cluster to do a head gasket i will recheck fuses
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:52 AM
How long has the battery been unused? Make sure the battery has a charge. My old car set at the bodyshop for almost 2 weeks waiting for an estimate, then another week before I started stripping it. When I swapped the optima redtop battery from my old cavalier into my current cavalier, all needles pegged in reverse with the anti-theft and battery lights blinking when I tried to turn it over. I was a little miffed.

On a side note, I found out the spiral core batteries like the optima redtops corrode if they set too long, making the battery unusable. If the spiral core has corroded, attempting to charge the battery can result in the battery catching fire. Advanced auto was nice enough to validate the free replacement warranty (battery was only 2 years old, warranty goes 3).

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search