2.2 cavi issues need help!!!!!! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 cavi issues need help!!!!!!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:32 PM
hey guys my wifes 2001 2.2 cavalier seems to have an issue i cant figure out, she says that when car is running it just shuts down on here and has to pull over turn it completly off and it will start right away,she says it also does it to her in stop lights, did a whole tune up on it but still has that problem. Any ideas anyone with this happening to before????

Re: 2.2 cavi issues need help!!!!!!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:13 PM
anyone
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:54 PM
check engine light? fuel pressure? fuel filter? my dad had a similar issue with his saturn, turned out the ICM (ignition control module) was going bad, and as it heated up, it would die, shut the car off, and it would come back and work fine.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:59 PM
were is this one in this cars
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:10 PM
under the coil packs.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:11 PM
alright ill try this tommorrow my wife is killing me with this
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:34 PM
"trying" with the ignition module is something i wouldn't recommend. it's a $150 part that CANNOT be returned to any auto parts store. you really want to be sure that's your issue.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:00 PM
yeah probably run to the yard or something, its a 250 dollar part
Monday, April 27, 2009 1:10 PM
i had the same problem. what fixed mine was one of the wires on the upstream oxygen sensor came out of the pigtail.
Monday, April 27, 2009 8:04 PM
Had almost the exact same problem with the girlfriend's 2000 grand prix. Engine dies randomly but always restarted after turning key off, started to stall at stop lights and signs. I replaced the fuel filter, did tune up, the shop replaced tps sensor, IAC valve, connector to the MAF. The shop couldn't ever get the car to replicate the problem and when they did the "fix" didn't actually do anything. Turned out to be a connection problem between the MAF and the connector. Engine vibration and road vibrations would wiggle the plug out just enough to loose electrical contact with the MAF. Visually there was no indication that's what the problem was but with the engine running I wiggled on that plug and what do you know that was it. Threw a bit of dielectric grease in there which helped a little but ultimately the MAF would have gotten replaced if we hadn't traded the car in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search