HOTROD mag has LSJ build article - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HOTROD mag has LSJ build article
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:15 PM
I just got my new issue of hotrod magazine and they had an article on the lsj using cams, and tried out 2 bigger blowers so your looking for some possible info check it out.

Re: HOTROD mag has LSJ build article
Friday, May 22, 2009 1:26 PM
the TVS1900 is awesome. I wonder what would happen if you strapped a TVS2300 onto an LSJ?

I saw bits and pieces of the article. I can't believe they stopped testing at 7000 rpm. I woulda wrapped that thing out. and it was non intercooled too. they definitely could have gotten more power out of the motor.

I believe the other blower was the M90. I'd still go with the TVS regardless.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:48 PM
yup those were the blowers they used....they were using the stock valve springs and didn't want to run into float if i remember correctly

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:36 PM
dunno if its related, but some hotrod mag put a turbo'ed Ecotec into a 1930-something Chevy coupe... thought it was tits

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, May 25, 2009 9:05 PM
Was a pretty good article. I stood in the magazine isle at Target and read the whole thing lol.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:54 PM
Its been pretty well rejected at cobaltss.net and with good reason. I'll explain why. They stopped testing at 7000 because thats all the higher you should be revving on stock valve springs. The TVS 1900 might be awesome but its not a good practice to use a 1.9 L blower on a 2.0 motor. The test car had 100 octane race gas, cams, motec stand alone ecu and no accessories as the tests were done on an engine dyno, not a chassis dyno. The best numbers 372/291 Crank hp and tq. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss (not to mention spinning the ac and alternator) thats 316hp and 247tq to the wheels, probably less.

To put things in perspective my TVS 1.32 Harrop LSJ on stock cams, stock pcm, and 93 octane non race gas makes 298whp and 261tq with a misfire on a tune that's not completely perfected yet. Theres other people with the same TVS supercharger that far exceed my modest numbers. The Harrop 1320LSJ is the proper upgrade for the car not a 1.9L blower. I'm glad to see the engine getting some press coverage but they should do a little more research on whats available for the car because theres far better combinations than what they went with just with supercharging. Not to mention the Hahn Stage 5 turbo kit which delivers well into the 400whp range on a completely stock engine.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, May 29, 2009 9:26 PM
I can see where your point Rodimus, but when hot rod does engine builds normally they dyno just the engine and document what they did, and what they used. They didn't do it with cobalts in mind, they just wanted to see what they could get out of the motor. chances are if i had money to spend on a cool supercharged eco I'd go wtih the biggest blower I could and run the least amount of accesories and drop it in a t bucket or an s10....or what ever else i could bastardize to make a cool toy.

It would have been cool though if they did have a dyno with everything in a car though. Who knows maybe they have some project they wont mention.....hotrod tends to use past motor builds and other tech stuff later on down the road only time will tell.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search