Junk Yards going away - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Junk Yards going away
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:01 AM
Dave,

Do you think that after a vehicle passes a certain age they will remove it from the road, or would it also depend on condition? I can't see something like that flying with people who collect classic cars though.

Jim

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:57 PM
Dave....

Do you really think I dont have a choice?

Do you really think im going to let some @!#$ tell ME I cant drive MY car home?

I dont know weather to laugh at you or yell at you.

I had somebody at an towing company tell me that once and it ended up taking all of his guys to keep my tire iron from going through his temple.... and almost costed him a new gate..... quess what... we drove the car home that day and that guy will prob think twice before mouthing off to someone again....

If an emissions place tells you "sorry... you have to leave your car here" and you actually do it.... your an F-ing pussy and deserve to take a cab home.

Now assuming your not trying to be personal..... then fine I'm just making a point..... but if you think I "have" to do what people tell me like that your sadly wrong.

Having to have your car repaired before it can be licensed for road use is one thing..... but out right impounding the damn thing? I cannot see that flying.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 11:06 PM
sndsgood wrote:
Weebel wrote:I have a hard time believing the government would force (or try to) a legitimate business to shut down with out legal merit.....

But wait....... There doing that to dealerships.... so who F-ing knows anymore....

I still dont believe it though.

well if you can't get spare parts and you have to pay the dealership 100x what the junkyard is asking for a part, gm would be backing to making trillions of dollars in profit in no time lol.

^ bingo.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:34 AM
Weebel wrote:Dave....

Do you really think I dont have a choice?

Do you really think im going to let some @!#$ tell ME I cant drive MY car home?

I dont know weather to laugh at you or yell at you.

I had somebody at an towing company tell me that once and it ended up taking all of his guys to keep my tire iron from going through his temple.... and almost costed him a new gate..... quess what... we drove the car home that day and that guy will prob think twice before mouthing off to someone again....

If an emissions place tells you "sorry... you have to leave your car here" and you actually do it.... your an F-ing pussy and deserve to take a cab home.

Now assuming your not trying to be personal..... then fine I'm just making a point..... but if you think I "have" to do what people tell me like that your sadly wrong.

Having to have your car repaired before it can be licensed for road use is one thing..... but out right impounding the damn thing? I cannot see that flying.

First off, No, I'm not attacking you.

Secondly, I never said anyone was going to impound your car at anytime. I did say that with the system currently in place in many States you cannot drive a car if it failed the State "safety" inspection.
You, take it and park it and you cannot drive it again until the problem is fixed. Some States will pull your registration and plate, Some States require you to have it fixed by a professional and show paperwork, Some States will allow you to pay a "Sinner's" fine for a car that won't pass emission test, you've tried to fix it and spent X $$'s on it and can prove it. This isn't a lifetime waiver though.

No, Mr Obama will not pull up to your house with a tow truck and tack your car away.
He may "write" you a check for turning it over and crushing it AND PURCHASE A NEW CAR.
Your Local government (some have ordinances against this), once the unlicensed car sits in your yard and violates their local laws, WILL come and tow it away and "take care of it" for you.

How far will this mentality go? Look at California, they currently have a bill to ourlaw Black and dark colored cars! They have a very very strict emission standard that prevents the sale of a non conforming vehicle to a new owner, watch them, you may not like it but they do historically blaze the trail for automobile legislation.

This will all be done in the name of energy conservation and environmental salvation.
Look at how you are already told to do things..... and you do! Pay taxes, can't carry a concealed weapon without gov't approval, Can't hunt or fish whatever / whenever you darn well please to, have a drivers license, drive on the Right side of the road, stop for red lights and stop signs, punch in at work on time, Zoning laws you follow, Building Permits, wait your turn in line, pull off the road when emergency vehicles approach your part of the road, etc. Many of your "freedoms and Rights" have already been curtailed or taken away for the good of society as a whole and you comply with these today without complaint (maybe minor complaint).

Talk about things happening you never thought would happen!! ..... Pay for TV, US Gov't owned companies, a non white US president, Females can vote, Blacks can vote, GM Bankrupt, Wall Street collapse, China a world economic power, and the list goes on and on and on. All of these unforeseen changes are not bad by any means, it's just who would of thought?
Taking away an old car isn't out of the realm of your possibility as much as you might threaten people and stamp your feet. Most likely when and if that day comes, you will have no choice and if you behave like you mentioned you would / have done would land you in jail.

My brother works in his yard which is right on the road without curb or walk, and historically a school bus screams past his house (speeding with children) and a few times almost hit him. He sees the bus coming and holds up his garden implement waving it and shouting "slow the F#$% down!!), a few minutes later the cops show up and arrest him for making terrorist threats at a Government vehicle.
Can the gov't do and will they do whatever they wish?? Yep.

Dave
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:25 PM
Cal. has been tryin to get the BS "Clunker law" to pass , which may never happen . If you took away all of the junk yards /salvage yards, body shops would suffer cuz 90% of all body shops use yards for used parts cuz the Insurance Companys ok's the useage of salvage parts on certain cars. if the President wants to Screw the US over that badly then someone should just take him out now. even if somekinda bill was passed on car that are older then 10 years to be takin off the road car hobbiests would just ignore it cuz the car hobby is HUGE and itll never die

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:01 PM
OK Dave I understand now... maybee if you would have been specific like that before it wouldnt have irritated me LOL

Are you in canda? Because where I live you dont have to have government approval to carry a hand gun... Just the county... and as long as your not a felon and take a saftey course.... they have to give you the permit as the laws stand atm.

End even if you dont have one.... no one can actually stop you from carrying one anyway.... "especially" if its concealed..... but if you get cought... your in trouble.

And I used to go fishing wherever I wanted without a license all the time.....

As for the car stuff.... I've lived places like your talking about.... and if your car doesnt pass.... they give you a piece of paper saying it didint so you at least have something to show a cop if he pulls you over on the way home.... its one of those..... "well it didnt pass.... do some more and bring it back and we'll try again" type things... Its kinda like if you get pulled over for expired tabs while your on your way to the DMV.... they usually just let you go... and at very most just get a BS ticket if the cop wants to be an ass.

All im saying is what your talking about seems kind of extreme and not likely to catch on to me.... all I know is that if I took my car to an emissions place, and it failed, and I saw somebody trying to take the plates off my car.... I'de pound them into the dirt regardless of what laws there where..... Sure I might not make it home before Im in handcuffs (for beating the guy... not taking my car).... but once I got out.... if the car wasnt in police impound and in a regular one.... I'de just be a set of bolt cutters away from getting it back.... Sure I'de legally have to pay them for the tow..... but that doesnt meant they can keep my car from me... regardless what they think or say.

IF people wherent such pussies and stood up for them damn selves.... the world wouldn't suck as much as it does.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:20 AM
Weebel wrote: ..................IF people wherent such pussies and stood up for them damn selves.... the world wouldn't suck as much as it does.

The only way things will change is if "normal" people get into the political process and make common sense laws. We are over run with professional politicians who are in office to make fame for themselves and MONEY. They are often wealthy anyway and very out of touch with the needs or wants of "normal" people. These politicians would never consider driving a status-less vehicle or be caught driving a used car, let alone an older J car!!! They would prefer that all cars on the roads be newer and clean.
Run for the next local election and get in the process of Government BY the people as our forefathers intended. Work your way up the political ladder and make an impact upon this Nation.
The trick is to not get sucked into the perks and opportunities to cash in on the government gravy train and stay true to yourself. This is where most fail once they begin.

Only YOU can make the changes you want, you cannot do it from outside the system beating upon it but you must infiltrate it and rebuild it from the inside out.

Dave
Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:38 PM
The problem is that the vast majority of people in the world are just so unbelievably stupid.... no matter of logic can be beat into there tiny little minds.

I've though about what your talking about plenty of times... but theres 3 problems..... the first one is the sentence above.

The 2nd is that it takes a certain amount of money to begin with to get into politics..... wich I dont have.... the 3rd is the fact that I dont have the tolerance required... Im too straight to the point and am to quickly apt to call someone out on their BS.

Maybee if I was able to run for Mayor of a small town or something and campaign that I would change things so the community wouldnt be told what they can and cant do soo much.... like being able to park your cars in your yard or not having to have a permit to re shingle your house... and get on the side of enough people.... but I doubt I would even have enough money to do that.... sadly the only people that seem to get into office are those that know people.... and the people elected only run because they they arnt happy just controlling their own lives.

I would REALLY like to but a fork in the asses of these elitist bastards though... believe me on that.

Friday, June 05, 2009 3:49 AM
truth is until you run im a position like that you dont really know how hard it is to do things. its easy to just say those that are in office are idiots or evil. those in office that run up the ranks do usually know people because they generally start out by volunteering their time to help people get elected and work side by side volunteering their free time to make those connections, not something allot of people will do.

if you guys want to find anything to do with old cars being destroyed or anything of that nature, go to sema's website, they have an orginasation for the porpouse of keeping goverment off our cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:53 AM
Hi,

Not to beat an old horse here but, the "cash for Clunkers" law has passed it's first major hurdle. While this bill does NOT force any of the old cars off the road it is certainly encouraging them to be removed.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/090610--Cash-for-Clunkers-Bill-Passes-House/

Interesting to note this sentence of the proposed law....

""The engine, transmission and some other parts must be destroyed so they can't be reused. The idea is to cull fuel-thirsty, polluting drivetrains. Operators can resell other parts, however."

and for you antique buffs....

"Many car enthusiasts fearful someone will trade in a rare classic will applaud the section limiting the cars to those produced in model year 1985 or after. Of course, this wasn't done for the sake of car fans. They can't easily determine the combined fuel economy of vehicles before the date because the EPA didn't track this data."

What this bill will do is make the future collectible cars of 85 and newer that much more valuable in 20 - 30 years.

Dave
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:16 PM
SNDSGOOD... Im actually a SEMA member.... I have there logo on my car...

And as far as all this law crap.... im going to watch it and see where it goes.... but Im just going to continue driving my car where and when I want.... doing what I want for the most part..... screw em.... I dont care.... I pretty much choose to ignore this stupid crap thats never going to happen...... and if the day comes that someone stops by to steal my car out of my driveway..... I guess I'll just have to kill them..... but till then.... I'm just going to live life.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:02 AM
The government has lost there mind along with the rest of the world... theres @!#$ theyve been planning for years and sooner or later there gonna run @!#$ as if they owned everything and everyone... the only way to fight it is in numbers... the old fashioned way strike pick up ur sign and picket... and until people realize the only way to get what u or the majority wants is to vote then nothing will ever get accomplished... but theres not enough people who care about voting and then all they do is bitch and complain... and im sick of hearing about global warming its not because of the people and how we live its because of the earth and its orbit and how it spins on an axis...no one can or will ever change that all the government has done is brain wash the people in this country to believe and follow a bunch of bull@!#$ rules... just like religion u follow @!#$ u read and half the people couldnt even explain it... Religulous with Bill Maher... watch that and tell me what you think about religion and the people of the world... they just want to manipulate your minds and make you pay attention and believe things so they get there way and so they can take over... everythng in the past has always been about whose richer and whose more powerful itll never change... and religion is part of the reason half of the wars and other bull@!#$ happens on this planet.... this law will not be past to rid of cars on the road because people will work in numbers to keep their hobby... taxes... yea guess what read the constitution and it states that taxes are a donation to the government if u really didnt want to pay then u wouldnt half too if u found the right facts to proove urself theres loop holes for everything and people are much more educated now then they were before so theyll find a way around anything they can and cali... well they got a muscle head for a govenor and they wanna legalize pot and theyhave strict laws and yada yada yada who cares.... they think there special @!#$ em... and honestly if people were so worried about the environment no one would bitch about windmills because of the stupid birds and we definately wouldnt be driving gas powered vehicles since a man created a car that ran on water... everything is a bunch of stupid crap that takes ur eyes off wat the goverment is planning and hiding

were at war in a country trying to change there government when its none of our business. bin laden supposedly bombed us but were not even looking for him ne more it was planned by bush and his admin so they could go back and finish wat his father started... and also with religion all the stories are the same the one god worshippped was born on chirstmas and rose again and blah blah blah and if he was real and wanted go for the world then there would be no evil as of now and people wouldnt be fighting over the "holy land" its all ways to just keep people hating eachother and to keep people to try and be the most powerful one of the world. y cant ne one just take life one day at a time and get along with everyone u meet theres no need to hate everyone is supposedly equal but no one acts like it... @!#$ this im done with this post seeing @!#$ like this and realizing how we the people are basically property of the government and we cant do wat we want cuz law prevent us from doing so just agrevates me
Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:18 AM
they just made you sign up for their mailing list. way to go.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:34 AM
Are they forgetting the fact that this is quite easily one of the oldest forms of recycling in modern society? F*ck all the yuppies that don't like "ugly" (I was going to use the word "unsightly", but it has three syllables, and most people who don't want junk yards in their neighbourhood aren't quite that educated) and "noisy" junkyards in their back yard, if we need to manufacture new parts every time we need something for any car in existence, then what the hell are we going to make sh*t out of later? Just because their X5 is dealer serviced with new parts only doesn't mean that other people don't need the service. This is another classic case of what is inconvenient for the upper middle class must be inconvenient for everybody.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, July 10, 2009 11:57 PM
my dad owns a junkyard and i havent heard a word of us supposedly being shut down
Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:34 AM
1999 Cavalier Z24 wrote:they just made you sign up for their mailing list. way to go.

If you where refering to me about the Sema thing.....

I've actually notified them and used them for a reference when it came to local emission laws trying to be passed.

They are a handy group....

Guess what.... the bills in question didnt pass..

I dont just read the monthly news letter

Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:13 AM
I really don't believe it in the least bit.

Seriously people go out and try to make up trash about BO and this is one of those examples. And they do so by providing only portions of information that is available, because they know that people are too stupid to go out and find the information for themselves.

But seriously. BO's go this whole "green" thing that he want's to do and I, and most everyone else would find it a little bit contradictory to that little initiative if you were to try to go green and reduce recycling at the same time. Just don't make sense to me.

www.gmscf.com
Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:18 AM
Ok, heres the deal with the petition, as my LKQ had the same one a couple weeks ago which I signed. It has to do with the cash for clunkers program, in that when a car is traded in for the credit avalible from the government, the car has to be crushed and scrapped in total. It can't go to a junkyard and be used for parts AT ALL. Since the yards make a ton of money this way BEFORE they are crushed and sold for scrap, they wanted the wording changed in the bill to allow the cars traded in under cash for clunkers to be used for parts first then scrapped. Thats what your signature was supporting. Will the law end up shutting down junkyards? I don't think so. IIRC the program is for a limited time only, till a certain date or when the money set aside from the government runs out.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:38 AM
While there isn't a time limit on this "promotional gimmick" there is a dollar end to it. There is only 1 Billion (did I say ONLY???) dollar funding for the entire program. Figure web sites and administration will take a good chunk of that change away, I'd better that there will only be 600 million or so that actually makes it to the showroom.
So what if they sherd/crush them?? They are virtually all junk anyway and not wanted, nor will they most likely ever be collectibles as we know them today. People who drive these cars can't afford a new car anyway so there will still be a bunch of your beloved junk roaming the highways of America.

Dave
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:40 AM
david keevil wrote:Hi,

Not to beat an old horse here but, the "cash for Clunkers" law has passed it's first major hurdle. While this bill does NOT force any of the old cars off the road it is certainly encouraging them to be removed.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/090610--Cash-for-Clunkers-Bill-Passes-House/

Interesting to note this sentence of the proposed law....

""The engine, transmission and some other parts must be destroyed so they can't be reused. The idea is to cull fuel-thirsty, polluting drivetrains. Operators can resell other parts, however."

and for you antique buffs....

"Many car enthusiasts fearful someone will trade in a rare classic will applaud the section limiting the cars to those produced in model year 1985 or after. Of course, this wasn't done for the sake of car fans. They can't easily determine the combined fuel economy of vehicles before the date because the EPA didn't track this data."

What this bill will do is make the future collectible cars of 85 and newer that much more valuable in 20 - 30 years.

Dave

Yep, this IS the beginning of the idea in this thread. I have no doubts that President Obama and the current Democrat-controlled Congress would push for eliminating junk yards and old cars, they are controlled by environmental groups that financially helped them get elected.

If they do not get he desired results with this cash-for-clunkers experiment, you an bet they'll try to pass something forcing the surrender of old cars for reasons of "global warming", which is a huge hoax and a lucrative industry in itself for its promoters.

With all of the extreme Government takeovers of banks and industries (cars) already...you haven't noticed that this President's goal is for Government to control every aspect of our lives? Wake up.
Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:44 PM
after 8 yrs of Bush's bullish, I was happy to see another democrat get in the office and make a difference.. well damn, was that a slap in the face, and thats why I hate politics and gov'ment. the funny part tho is that Obama is f*cking with something that almost every guy in the country has considered a serious hobby, some who have dumped hundreds of thousands in their classic muscle and hot rods.. and he really thinks that these men are gonna just lay back and take it with no Vasoline? there are gonna be ALOT of "officials" getting hurt or even killed when the time comes to "confiscate" these old cars

and Weebel is right; that whole target demo of the clunker is a good 3/4 of the population, and there's no way that much of the country is gonna be left without a car. hell, I'm just about in that demo being that my car is a 2001, and you better believe that those repo men WILL BE HURT if they come onto my property to haul my Cavalier away. and I'm not trying to sound all Clint Eastwood or anything, and really, going to jail over a Cavalier sounds outrageous (to most ppl, anyway).. but its one of those things where Im getting tired of the gov'ment thinking they can walk over who they want 'cause they're in charge

Obama is gonna keep this sh*t up, and youre gonna see.. 1) him get assassinated, 2) the country uprise in chaos and riots, 3) a black man NEVER be elected again 'cause Obama is gonna f*ck it up for the rest of the black population. hell, they might MLK his ass themselves

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:45 PM
^^^^^ Ya but the last thing we need is another marter...

Im still standing by the reasoning that as long as they dont directly intervene with my life.... im gunna ignore the rumors... The trick is to find the truth from within the BS and be ready for it.

I highly doubt that they are going to try to take me car, bike, or guns away in my lifetime.... so Im not too worried about it.... but the possibility is there.... so Im at least paying attention to whats going on... and if congress does ever take the leap.... im gunna have a spike bottomed pit on the other side of the fence.

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:39 AM
Can the government do this? Yes. One of the things that people don't seem to realize is that you have no rights, just temporary privileges that the government can dole out or take away anytime it feels like it. So always be wary of your superiors.

Will they? Dunno, they might - it's a good way to restrict movement without being obviously dictatorial, but I doubt it. The entire North American (US and Canada) workforce is decentralized. Most of us work 20 to 30 minutes away, by car, from where we work. Already house prices are killing us and we have to move even further away, eliminate cheap transportation and you might as well call it "America's Great Leap Forward." with the result of millions of people losing their jobs and homes. Nobody wants that. America is the world's shopping center. Without shoppers it will lose all status on the world stage.

Also, as for Obama being the buttboy of enviromentalists. Y'all can relax. The modern environmental movement cares as much about the environment as Star Trek geeks care about science. It's all a sham and a show - smoke and mirrors. I have yet to see ONE environmental initiative that will make one bit of difference in world pollution. 15 of the world's largest cargo ships pollute more than all the cars IN THE WORLD, and there are thousands of ships like that. Toss in the fact that planes pollute as much in one round trip than the average car pollutes in 300 to 700 years, coupled with the fact that air travel is becoming more and more popular every year, and you think it makes one bit of difference if you buy a Prius or Volt over some Hummer? You also think the people who run the environmental movement don't know that?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:10 PM
Not to sound OT, but I too think this C4C stuff is just another attempt to let the "governatorment" (yes i do refer this C4C as something like California CARB) turn the hard working people upside down and shake whatever money they have left out of their pockets. Imagine if all the junkyards was gone and Autozone, Advance/Checker, and all those places were gone.. then what? As far as I see it, I see this as something that has no value to it. If one sees the fine print to this, then one has not to worry about the yards going away. I'd rather keep my Cavi and repair it when needed. After all, we all know it's the blind leading the blind anyway in the government. (this is just my opinion on the matter.)
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:04 PM
this makes me want to drop kick baby Jesus.

Page 127 from.............
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Parts 512 and 599
[ Docket No. NHTSA-2009-0120 ]
RIN 2127-AK53
Requirements and Procedures for Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Program
Quote:

Appendix B to Part 599 - Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.
1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate
(SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)

2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.

3. Install the oil drain plug.

4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the
vehicle to the desired area for disablement.

5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate
the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which
should be sufficient in most cases.

CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be
worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.

6. Replace the oil fill cap.

7. Start the engine.

8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high
rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As
the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more
throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)

9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.

10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully
charged battery, attempt to start the engine.

11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.

12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no
longer idle.

13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:
This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System
(CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the
engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.

14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search