should I get it? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
should I get it?
Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:22 PM
so its the time to look into my first car this summer [or at least save up for it], I'll be getting my class 7-2 license in august which where i live lets you drive alone without an adult in the drivers seat.. anyways i got a perfect opportunity to buy a 2001 sunfire GTX sedan which comes with the 2.4L Twin Cam engine and other nice things like traction control, etc. Thing is the guy who has it bought it from a car auction in august '08 and since then he barely did 65kilometers (not 65000) on it!! the car now has 230xxx km and Ive started it and the engine sounded tough like it should.. the registration runs out in June but i might be able to get it in august so we would have to pay for the registration before selling it to me... ive been taking into considerations all the recalls and the common problems these little cars will give but im expecting it to be strong and reliable enough to run for a few good years (hopefully 250-260k)... anyways $1500 (Canadian dollars) is what he asked for, and i know him from family so he might negotiate it down to 1000-1200 for all that I know...

Re: should I get it?
Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:31 PM
if its a solid car and you know the guy, I'd say go for it ::thumbs up::

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, May 25, 2009 3:38 AM
What the hell is a Sunfire GTX?

But....

I agree with the guy above me..... If the car is in good shape.... and you trust the seller why not....

Monday, May 25, 2009 4:12 AM
well it really seems like it could handle some more daily driving from me... and I'm not planning to put on a Boeing 747 wing with 19 inch rollies on it all I want is to drive it and of course the car has a few dents but it looks in overall good shape... to answer your question it might be just a GT sedan, iv just seen people calling them GTX's, I don't know.... next time I see it hopefully in the next month I'll be able to test drive it, and of course I'm expecting the car to be strong after being bought from an auction (the original owners were from Ontario)... I could always take it to a mechanic or someone who knows these cars well considering they're head gasket can trick you and cost you a lot of money
Monday, May 25, 2009 4:35 AM
with the engine that late in life, expect to do the water pump, head gasket, and timing set very soon.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, May 25, 2009 8:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. I will try my best to find out if any of those has been worked on since the car was built in 2001. If it happens that I have to unfortunately pay for those 3 things how much do you think I will get charged for the parts?... And do you think a mechanic or anybody who is familiar with these car can manually find out if the head gasket/water pump are newer than what the engine is
Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:45 PM
Weebel wrote:What the hell is a Sunfire GTX?

Dealer rice :p

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:54 PM
^^^^^ I know..... I was just being a smart ass

Friday, May 29, 2009 8:17 PM
Weebel wrote:What the hell is a Sunfire GTX?
Dominic Roussel wrote:to answer your question it might be just a GT sedan

Yep, it's basically a Sunfire GT in Sedan form. Since it has the 2.4L Twin Cam engine, it should also have a leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle and it should also have Patina/Redondo cloth interior with a lumbar adjuster on the driver's seat and a storage pocket on the backside of the passenger seat. It does not have the exterior styling of the GT, but it is definitely not dealer rice.

Personally, I would love to have one.

If it's in good condition, definitely get it. That's a great price and while I've never personally owned a J with the 2.4L, Js in general, if well maintained, will last a hell of a long time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search