aibags deploy at highway speed - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
aibags deploy at highway speed
Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:57 AM
just came across this, i think i remember a post about this awhile back.

http://www.wisn.com/news/19475022/detail.html

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.

Re: aibags deploy at highway speed
Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:04 AM

Wow,thats dangerous! Now I am even more glad I removed the ds airbag. I just can't believe the gaul and arrogance of a company that believes that just sending out a letter absolves them of all blame and responsibility!!! Another shiny nail for the Generals coffin!!!
Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:52 PM
WOW.. And I have a 97, but no water inside. But now I'm concerned

1997 Cavalier Z24 4Spd Auto. Magnaflow dual exhaust.
Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:45 PM
Great..... my car is a 97 also....

I've never gotton a letter....... if mine ever goes off Im sewing the company far any repairs or damage.... F-ing bastards.... there liable for crap like that.

Maybee an aftermarket steering wheel isnt that bad of an ideal after all.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:53 PM
I got a letter for my old 96 sunfire last year after all the midwest flooding. car wasn't in a flood, so i tossed the letter.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, May 18, 2009 3:30 PM
I got a letter for my '96, too. My air bags have been removed for years, but I'm glad that I now have an excuse if a cop/inspector gives me crap about it.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, May 22, 2009 8:47 PM
OHV notec wrote: I'm glad that I now have an excuse if a cop/inspector gives me crap about it.

just what I was thinking, LOL!!!

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:45 AM
Weebel wrote:Great..... my car is a 97 also....

So is mine. But there's these 2 yellow plugs that I've got unhooked. Somehow I doubt the bags are going to detonate. Unless they determine the problem to not be from an electrical charge hitting the primer in the airbags.

At the same time though, I'd like to see the condition of some of these vehicles that's had this problem. If I had to bet, I'd almost guess that a lot of these cars that are doing this are pretty neglected in general.

www.gmscf.com
Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:23 AM
I don't blame GM for not really doing anything about it.... its not their fault if your car is in a flood or there is a major water leak on a 13 year old model that the owner ignores. It's not shocking news to anyone that water and electronics don't mix, that fact is ever more relevant to older technology (that is less safe in general).

Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:23 AM
Darkstars wrote:I don't blame GM for not really doing anything about it.... its not their fault if your car is in a flood or there is a major water leak on a 13 year old model that the owner ignores. It's not shocking news to anyone that water and electronics don't mix, that fact is ever more relevant to older technology (that is less safe in general).

gotta agree with dark on this one, your not supposed to have your interior full of water. would be kinda like gm needing to pay for new engines if people put water in the gas tank and the motor seized. the interior wasn't made to get wet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:17 PM
sndsgood wrote:
Darkstars wrote:I don't blame GM for not really doing anything about it.... its not their fault if your car is in a flood or there is a major water leak on a 13 year old model that the owner ignores. It's not shocking news to anyone that water and electronics don't mix, that fact is ever more relevant to older technology (that is less safe in general).

gotta agree with dark on this one, your not supposed to have your interior full of water. would be kinda like gm needing to pay for new engines if people put water in the gas tank and the motor seized. the interior wasn't made to get wet.

So I should not pressure wash the inside of the car ????

oh ? ok

Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:47 PM
^^ wow nice profile

Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:58 PM
^^^^Thanks^^^^

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:42 PM
. wrote:^^^^Thanks^^^^

if they only knew, Robert... ::looks at Best of Show trophy::

I gotta agree with sndsgood and Darkstars.. its kinda your own damn fault if your interior is waterlogged and it sets something off. nothing that pulling the fuse wont fix..

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, May 25, 2009 3:36 AM
Ya I guess.... I was taking that this could happen to a well taken care of car in just heavy rain if your just really unlucky.

Now if it happened because you parked your rusty POS in a lake.... well than ya.... it's not GM's fault.

Monday, May 25, 2009 6:05 AM
I'd probably be worried, except for having recently installed sound deadener in my '97. It gave me a chance to see that there was no sign of interior leaks. It was the first time I'd encountered the floor-mounted airbag module, and I did wonder about the wisdom of its placement at the time.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Monday, May 25, 2009 5:16 PM
^^^^^ Wisdom of it's placement LOL

GM doesn't use wisdom.... they use a "F- it..... it fits there" philosophy...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:48 AM
Weebel wrote:^^^^^ Wisdom of it's placement LOL

GM doesn't use wisdom.... they use a "F- it..... it fits there" philosophy...

No theres some wisdom, the driver side on my grand am's floor is wet, but the passengers is dry so they must have put the weak points on the driver side to protect the air bag module lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, May 29, 2009 11:33 AM
Does anyone know exactly when this defect was indeed "removed" from the post 1997 vehicles? I have a '98 Sunfire convertible which was manufactured in November of 1997. I am putting in a new carpet and did notice that the floor under the old carpet was damp in a few areas (due to a issue with the passenger side window which I have fixed.).
Friday, May 29, 2009 6:39 PM
mikeythemars wrote:Does anyone know exactly when this defect was indeed "removed" from the post 1997 vehicles? I have a '98 Sunfire convertible which was manufactured in November of 1997. I am putting in a new carpet and did notice that the floor under the old carpet was damp in a few areas (due to a issue with the passenger side window which I have fixed.).

When you replace the carpet if the airbag mod is under the passenger seat then I would just move it ..If it is not there then all should be ok

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:02 PM
I've thought about unplugging it.... but Im afraid to mess with it...

I def will if I ever put an aftermarket steering wheel in there though..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search