sunfire problem+ vw owner = wtf!?need some help... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sunfire problem+ vw owner = wtf!?need some help...
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:02 AM
so i sold my old vr6 swaped mk2 gti

in favor of something to daily drive with a/c for my son to ride in...gti had no heat/air or back seat....so i got a 88 jetta GLI

to fix and it turned out to be more money then i wanted to spend so i cut my losses and the story begins........

anyway....i ended up getting the sunfire given to me, after i did a tune up on it about a week later it developed a weird bump in the idle then the check engine light came on....o2 was bad ...fixed that....then it came on again....said the sensor in the intake boot was bad fixed that and it still said it.....took ti to a shop then they said"needs a tune up" i told them i already did it and replaced everything but one coil pack.took it back after they said the fixed it and still had the same problem they said they fixed the wireing harness.....i looked and searched hi and low and don't see what they fixed....then the guy told me it was the wire for the sensor in the intake boot....all looks the same....so i'm stumped on that....

now the problem is if i stomp it to the floor to go the car will stall or sputter extremely bad if i take my time it will sputter a little then take off.once rolling say like 45 or 50 if i stomp it again it will hesitate some and then take off. i know Volkswagen like the back of my hand but i don't know jack crap about the this thing. i don't have a check engine light on either....just the stupid ass ets light that won't go out even after replacing the switch,the abs light and the airbag light... abs is another question or rather problem....if i push the pedal in normal driving conditions it works fine but if i hit it hard and hold it the car will not come to a complete stop and the pedal bottoms out

the car is a 98 sunfire drop top with the 2.4 engine and the auto tranny

i used Google and found a ton of problems with these cars and it has me wanting to sell it.......but i'd rather fix it because i'm not gonna find a car in this nice of shape anywhere else for two grand.....

any/all help would be awesome
direct email is deeznutsmaketea@aol.com

chris

Re: sunfire problem+ vw owner = wtf!?need some help...
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:52 AM
Not to be bellittling or any thing but have you replaced the fuel filter? also how does it run at idle? does it stumble unpon acceleration? if so you might waht to OHM out your coilpacks agian and check wire resistance too. Advance auto, auto zone ect. have been known for not up to par electronic parts.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:32 AM
The way you worded the problem makes it sound like it ran fine before the tune-up you did. Is this the case?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:04 AM
Agent Omega wrote:The way you worded the problem makes it sound like it ran fine before the tune-up you did. Is this the case?

+1

and lol @ deeznutsmaketea@aol.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:23 AM
a friend has that same car and swap with a kinetic turbo kit

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:42 PM
check the rubber hose going to the MAP sensor

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:51 PM
I was going to say check the map sensor also.... the map is supposed to be used for timing.... but if one starts going out it will make the car hesitate like a carburated car will when an accelerator pump is going out for some reason..

Also..... the coil back assemblies on 2.4's are known for going out and causing that problem (has happened to me 3 times)... you can usually pick up a complete one at a salvage yard for $40 and just swap it out.

Also.... is your cruise control working? A decent vacuum leak can cause this.... and if its bad enough to effect the way the car runs.... the cruise will usually start acting up also.

As for the VR6 swapped GTI... thats pretty sweet... what year was that... an 84?

Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:51 AM
You owned my dream car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search