rebuilding my 2.4 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rebuilding my 2.4
Monday, June 08, 2009 1:12 PM
ok guys im new here but my 98 2.4 started to have a slite tick and i thought it was the timming chain so i drove it a little more and it got worse so i finnally put a new timming chain kit in and its still making sounds so im thinking it has a rod knock. so instead of paying $1600 for a used motor im going to tear mine down and see whats wrong with it. and rebuild the short block.my ? is where do you guys buy ur parts for the motor? and is there a classifed section on here? thanks,

Re: rebuilding my 2.4
Monday, June 08, 2009 1:19 PM
i moved this to the performance section if this is the wrong place
Monday, June 08, 2009 2:31 PM
Ahhh another 2.4 knock mystery.

It's either the timing area or wrist pin in most cases.

I'd personally just buy a GM crate motor with a warranty and do that or while your tearing it down throw some wiseco/eagle parts in it with clevite bearings. The wiseco/eagle setup will run about $750 in those parts alone though.

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:24 AM
i dont have the cash to throw in a gm crate.. but i like the car and just want to do a stock rebuild for my daily transportation. should i just go to o'rileys and order the crank and rod kit they can order or should i go with the after market rods from eagle.. i seen a kit like you talked about for around a $1,000, just beacuse i heard that the aftermarkets are better and mabey they would last longer. i just would like to get another 150,000 miles out of this car so i want to do it rite. thanks for any advice
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search