R12 how to dispose of it? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
R12 how to dispose of it?
Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:57 AM
I was cleaning out my dads shop and found several cans of R12 refrigerant on the shelf, they al all sealed and in good condition, just don't have the car they would have been used for anymore. I want to get rid of them, but i know i can't just chuck them in the trash. where do you take them, or who do i call to find out?

Re: R12 how to dispose of it?
Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:25 AM
if you lived closer to me, my neighbor would take them...

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:26 AM
Sell it.... You will make some good $$....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:12 AM
Legally he can't sell it without the EPA certification, but it's a never enfored law. I would sell it.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:12 AM
Send it over to me and ill sell it yay for state and federal certifications!!

Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:43 AM
yepp. i to have a federal certification. . i would sell it. its becoming harder for people to get and around here theyl do anything to get it. and i mean anything. that includes stealing it outa farmers tractors

Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:11 PM
^^^^

Why are people so hard up for it?..... why dont they just convert there car to R134A?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:22 AM
It isn't only used in cars.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:02 AM
There was a day back in the 70's when they first outlawed R12 that the price for a container was up in the hundreds of dollars and people in the auto industry were hoarding mass quantities of it! Imagine the shock of getting a bill for several hundred dollars for a freon recharge!! This was also back before they had the recovery systems mandated today and any repair made that involved opening the system required a complete evacuation and recharge. ALL of the "old" freon was released and allowed to float up to that giant hole in the Ozone!

It still commands a fairly high price and is harder to come by.
IF we had been more aware of the problems with just releasing gases into the air back then and had the recycling we have today, R12 would probably still be in use today, it was a better gas to do the job needed than today's gases are. Back then a proper functioning AC system was COLD and you knew it!

Dave
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:26 PM
blow it up

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:43 PM
I've known a decent sized canister (like -- smallish barbecue propane tank) to sell for between $300 and $500. I'd say it would be a shame to simply be rid of them.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:42 PM
I would ask around shops or friends with cars that still run the r12! My truck still runs it and its a 87 and while I can buy other products like freeze 12 that are compatible with the old r12 the real stuff still kicks.I would sell it to some one who can use versus disposing of it bc cars are still out there on the road or driven sometimes as garage sitters except wkends that can use it.Selling it u can make some money for sure,but the freeze 12 I bought was only under 10 bux and do not have to vacumm the system or change my old fittings.I did convert the cav tho several yrs back.

Friday, June 19, 2009 12:54 PM
Does a 95 Cavalier use R12 or R134A? I need to get a kit and would like to know which one I can use.

Vic
Friday, June 19, 2009 2:16 PM
134A for 95

R12 is a hot item right now how much do you have. take it to a harardous waste site or sell it. if you give it do someone who holds leicense for it COUGH COUGH they can sell it for you. soon you wont be able to get R22 (not used in cars but lots of house AC units do use it) when that day comes think 2011 or 2012 there will be a mad rush for the last supply of it oing to be a big seller in the underground refrigerant world

PS thanks bud for calling it REFRIGERANT NOT FREON. Freon is a name brand by DUPONT its like Prestone you wouldn't say had to top up my prestone. drives me nutts when people call it that my be, because i work in that industry

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, June 19, 2009 4:36 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:PS thanks bud for calling it REFRIGERANT NOT FREON. Freon is a name brand by DUPONT its like Prestone you wouldn't say had to top up my prestone. drives me nutts when people call it that maybe, because i work in that industry

me too, at one point people would come in looking for freon, I don't them we didn't have that brand. they would look at you like a deer in headlights. it was almost as much fun as when a guy came in looking for oil for his new DODGE CAMRY, "Sorry sir thats a dealer only item, but your in luck there's one right down the street"

I think 12 phased out in like 93-94, something like that.. I know my 91 RS had R12, probably one of the last year new cars to had it.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:57 AM
people are hard pressed for r-12 because the R134 conversion kits cost some money. and thats more intimidating to people then just tossing some refrigerant in. not to mention. converting an older tractor over would be quite a damn mess and cost more money than its worth. we had a guy that was @!#$ us over on it for a while. he asked us to fill his refrigerant. so we said ok. we tossed some r12 in it and a week later he was back saying it all leaked out. we were like WTF??? so we filled it again and checked for leaks. he did this 3 more times till we finally caught on that he had his own machine and was pulling it out at home and putting it in all his other tractors. when we found that out that guy was @!#$.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:23 PM
Weebel wrote:^^^^

Why are people so hard up for it?..... why dont they just convert there car to R134A?

Condensers on some cars originally set up for R12 are undersized for R134a, causing lackluster cooling when converted. If an older car had diminished cooling I'd either spend the $20 for EPA 609 certification and pick up a can off Ebay, or top off/convert to a hydrocarbon refrigerant.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:13 PM
well I have a bottle of r12 too..... its a 1 kilo can....... about 2 pounds... can you just put it on a R134 A/C system???? and how much does this r12 goes for........ you still can buy it in mexico.. lolz....
Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:04 PM
R12 and PAG oil don't get along too good to begin with, plus when you mix refrigerants no A/C shop is going to touch your car due to contamination. Thinking R12 is around $30-$40 a pound.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:03 AM
david keevil wrote:There was a day back in the 70's when they first outlawed R12 t...

Dave

I think it was in the mid-80's (like 1984) when they stopped selling R-12 on the shelf (for the avg. do-it-yourselfer). Odd because it wasn't until about 1995 or 1996 that car manufacturers (at least in the U.S.) were required to have R-134 in them. That must have been some glorious days for the stealerships and independent mechanics to start boosting the cost of getting R-12 put in.
Probably still is.

I think there are many people who won't switch over because,
A. They have old restored cars that they want to keep as original as possible for the shows
B. They think that R-12 is SOOO much better at keeping you cool versus R-134 (I say shenanigans on that idea).
C. They are really lazy and like to sweat buckets.

Ahem, as to your question: I agree with the others. Selll it for good bucks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search