The Best Insurance Discussion - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Best Insurance Discussion
Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:42 AM
Subject sais it all really.

What do you think is the best insurance? What is the cheapest? How messed up/high is your insurance?

This will also help me in choosing an insurance company.

Re: The Best Insurance Discussion
Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:08 AM
Why don't you contact the different insurance companies and ask them for quotes? Whats the cheapest for me may not be the cheapest for you. Level of coverage, deductible, driving record, multicar discounts, home owner discounts, any other discounts, rental car coverage etc.. all play into the cost.

Generally speaking the big name company's are better then the small fly by night brands.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:56 AM
Darkstars wrote:Why don't you contact the different insurance companies and ask them for quotes? Whats the cheapest for me may not be the cheapest for you. Level of coverage, deductible, driving record, multicar discounts, home owner discounts, any other discounts, rental car coverage etc.. all play into the cost.

Generally speaking the big name company's are better then the small fly by night brands.

this

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:41 PM
I have USAA and love it, you may not be able to get it though so good talk.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:50 PM
IMO, the smaller companies are good for state minimum req for the short term. If you want "good" insurance, you should choose one of the larger more established companies, but plan to be there many years. I've been with State Farm now for 8 years and they give me the best rate, by far, compared to other companies. The years of good driving add up to good discounts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:59 PM
imo it's better to have a great agent that will honestly work for you rather than the best rate. my family has used the same insurance agent (farmer's insurance is the company) for the past 20+ years. he will always pull strings for us to ensure we get exactly what we need for the best prices he can get them. we have price shopped and found most companies can't come near his prices for us.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:30 PM
Yes this is all very good advice.... i am hearing Esurance is pulling some good deals around this time.... I have already shopped once about a year ago when i thought i was goign to have to switch, but never changed.
Monday, July 20, 2009 10:22 AM
91.69 @ Progressive
141.75 @ Esurance

Time to shop some more! see if i can get better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 20, 2009 10:41 AM
Monday, July 20, 2009 11:33 AM
Well i was just about to get a qoute from State farm when the phone rings. It was some chick from Esurance calling to talk to me blah blah blah. She puts me on the phone with an insurance agent who then puts me on the line with one of their "sister" companies.... who then puts me on the line with one of THEIR insurance agents..

Sheesh... lol. Just to put it out there the Esurance guy was VERY nice... asked me how the weather was and so on. Of course they are trying to get money out of you.

Anyways... i more or less told the sister company agent what happened and that progressive was the cheapest and it was prbly going to be hard for anyone to beat the price. She said thats good and that they work with them closely and she could prbly get me better. WELL she did. I will be going through Progressive and she got it down to like 72 a month or something like that.

Im pumped lol. She sais since i havent had insurance in my name ever that in 6 months the price will go down if i am still going with Progressive.
Monday, July 20, 2009 1:00 PM
what are your deductibles? and full/limited/no tort?

make sure you get everything you want and they didn't up your deductibles or take you from full to limited tort without you knowing to get a cheaper price

Monday, July 20, 2009 1:06 PM
Nah, i got exactly what i wanted. My car is a 96 so i didnt get too many extras. Plus this sounds funny but i have a mild insurance through my phone kinda like AAA.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:22 AM
I am on my parents insurance policy, so with my mom's/my name on the title, I get a multi-line discount. For me, a 17 year old male, I believe with comp and collision, the base insurance rate on the 97 cavalier was $200/month. After all the discounts, its down to $110/mo. without comp and collision I think its $80/mo. Since the car is really only worth $600 or so we aren't planning on putting comp/collision on it.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:57 PM
Nick wrote:I am on my parents insurance policy, so with my mom's/my name on the title, I get a multi-line discount. For me, a 17 year old male, I believe with comp and collision, the base insurance rate on the 97 cavalier was $200/month. After all the discounts, its down to $110/mo. without comp and collision I think its $80/mo. Since the car is really only worth $600 or so we aren't planning on putting comp/collision on it.

Thats pretty sweet. My insurance agent today finalized everything. When she went to do so she ended up finding out that she put me down as a home owner, so i am now paying 89/ mo. Allwell not bad considering i am insuring myself, by myself, and it is my first insurance.

Got my plate and registration today too. 100% legal for like the first time. lawl
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:04 AM
being on your parents plan is not even close to having insurance on your own.

be careful with progressive, they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason. getting any money out of them is like getting blood from a turnip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:21 AM
Haha thanks for the heads up.... appreciated advice.

I just wanted to be legal if you know what i mean.... so i am happy. Maybe after 6 months when my insurance goes down my insurance agent can find another company for me that is cheaper.

I <33 your car btw... just throwing it out there. lawl
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:41 AM
i pay $89 a month for two cars in az with mine, my 98 cavalier sedan has basic and my 05 cavalier sedan has FULL coverage, both together adding up to a whopping $89 a month for me.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:52 PM
Dang... wish i could get that...
Friday, July 24, 2009 10:02 AM
gotta remember, you can't just go with a dollar amount and go "wow. i should get that one". things like how many people are on the account, what is the deductible. one guy could have a $@250 deductible while another guy may have a $1000 deductible. big diffrence there. one can cover up to $2grand in stereo equipment while another may only cover the stock system. one could have towing and rental car expense while another may not. which may not seem like a huge deal until your wife wrecks your hhr and you realise your on week 4 of having a rental. 4 weeks without a car can kill some people. hell 1 week wthout a car for some can be catostrophic. so far my rental cost is up around the $500 range and that is with the insurance company cost. if had to have foot that bill myself i would be out around $700 at this point. there are tons of variables to dertermine a price of a policy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, July 24, 2009 1:15 PM
Yeah i hear you. That AAA i have through my phone is only like 3 dollars a month extra on my bill and it covers all of that. I have already had to use it when i accidentally locked my keys inside of my car when i went into work. =P
Friday, July 24, 2009 7:41 PM
sndsgood wrote:being on your parents plan is not even close to having insurance on your own.

be careful with progressive, they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason. getting any money out of them is like getting blood from a turnip.

I have full coverage on my bravada with 100.00 deductable and 3500.00 in aftermarket insurance. Also have full coverage on the sunfire with a 500.00 deductable. I pay 200.00 a month. Thats 2400.00 a year for both cars and also have my girlfriend on my policy. Thats all thru progressive.

I cant complain . They have been the best insurance company I have had.Last november my blazer was totaled. I had only been with progressive for 1 month at that time. this happened at 6pm. At 12noon the next day I signed over the truck to progressive and had a check in my hand. So in less then 24hrs everything was takin care of and I was off to purchase a new car. and another thing too my insurance only went up 5 bucks a year.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:33 PM
I pay over 900 for 3 months

Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:22 PM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:I pay over 900 for 3 months

Ouch @ this....
Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:29 PM
having cheapest insurance isnt always the best thing. A lot of people pay more for a company they established a good relationship with. You know what your getting. You have an insurance company that will help you if you ever have any questions. A big company is always nice as they offer many more options, Home owners, renters, life insurance, and the best part someone that will be there tommorow. A lot of these small indepentant companies could go out of business tommorow and you wouldnt even know! I myself have state farm and have for the last 6 years. I wouldnt ever go anywhere else. One of the best things is I have an awesome agent who will bend over backwards for me.
Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:18 PM
heres my history with progressive, had been with them for 4-5 years, my yearly coverage was just about up. i sent in the payment a couple days before my insurance lapsed. they received the check and actually had the check in their hands. my car got broken into. they denied my claim because they said they hadn't cashed the check yet so i wasn't covered even when they had the check for about 4 days. when i fought it then they came back on me and said, well i had never signed a paper for my reneweal policy so i wasnt officially covered even though i hadn't had to do that ever before. so i was out about 2 grand worth of car damage and audio equipment stolen. i will never again give them a dime of my money.

Monday, July 27, 2009 8:47 AM
I could see why... that really sucks..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search