should/can i sell my car?! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
should/can i sell my car?!
Monday, August 10, 2009 4:37 PM
Hey guys/gals... i come to you seeking your infinite wisdoms.

The wife and I are thinking about getting a newer car and were not sure if it would be worth it to sell my car or just drive it into the ground. IF I sell it, what should i ask for it? Heres where the car sits now.
- 1999 Pont. Sunfire SE Coupe
- 3 spd Auto
- Sun and Sound pkge (so it has the moonroof)
- 136,000 some miles
- manual locks, windows, seats
- gas gauge does not work properly (i just drive 200 or so miles and fill up)
- small visible rust in the rear qtr panel (right infront of the rear wheel wells) and on the underside of the hood (by the latch) doesnt affect the funcion of the latch whatsoever
- paints not in amazing shape obviously, but not THAT horrible (some spots where the clear was pretty much rubbed/sanded off unknowingly)
- could use shocks
- engine "acts strangely" when the rpms get to 3200 (see third gen forum) for unknown reasons
- and just recently i noticed that it makes some sort of "bumping" noise when i make a turn thats sharp/or fast enough. so at some point of amount of force is applied, the "bumping" accurs; i hear it, dont really feel it....??

anywho, what would you guys do if it were your car? i dont expect to get much more than 1500 for it if i sell it but is that worth it? the other option is to just keep driving it. then when something fails, possibly replace it depending on how much it'd cost but we def dont want to keep repairing stuff cuz it wont take long for repair costs to exceed the actual cost of the vehicle.

if it were a 2000+ cav sedan, i'd be more tempted to keep it and swap an eco or 3400 and keep on truckin. but i am kind of excited to drive something else... (although i already know i'll get the POSsat.... its boosted? and perhaps i can sneak a few subtle mods in on it..?)

anywho.. .what does everyone think? sell? if so, how much? possible solutions for any of my issues?? lol
thanks in advance!

Re: should/can i sell my car?!
Monday, August 10, 2009 6:12 PM
Personally I would just keep it and drive it until either something major (expensive) goes wrong or it dies.

This is what we are doing with our '94 Sunbird LE Sedan. The rocker panels are pretty much non-existent on it, but it still runs strong with 246,000+ miles on it. We just spent $200.00 on new tires and $530.00 on all new brakes front and rear so we hope to continue driving it for quite a while needless to say .

Just my $.02 though.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:19 AM
Run it into the ground.... you won't get anything for it.

or when going down the road pull in front of someone and slam on the breaks and make them hit you....

Then say a cat ran out in front of you...

my .02 cents. lol
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:00 PM
^ Definitely NOT a good idea. That's how people get hurt, but yeah, I would just keep it because you're not going to get anything for it.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:10 PM
Yeah, that's what i said.

haha yeah... but seriously.. Just run it till it dies.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:39 PM
cash ofr cluckers guys!

get 4,000 for it, and apply it to yur new car....

and help the economy....NOT!!!

helps in one way, destroys it in another!

lol

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:48 PM
^only way you'll get something out of it! do that!

WiGM-Tuners member.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:55 PM
J bodys get better than 18mpg so it wont qualify for cash for clunkers
Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:58 AM
yeah... doesnt qualify.

i did find the "bumping/knocking" noise; it was my muffler...which is the other issue that i didnt think about during my first post; i need a new exhaust as well (catback).

what do you think would be a good price to ask for if i do try selling a time or two?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search