Junk Yards going away - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Junk Yards going away
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:21 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:this makes me want to drop kick baby Jesus.

Page 127 from.............
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Parts 512 and 599
[ Docket No. NHTSA-2009-0120 ]
RIN 2127-AK53
Requirements and Procedures for Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Program
Quote:

Appendix B to Part 599 - Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.
1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate
(SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)

2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.

3. Install the oil drain plug.

4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the
vehicle to the desired area for disablement.

5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate
the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which
should be sufficient in most cases.

CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be
worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.

6. Replace the oil fill cap.

7. Start the engine.

8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high
rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As
the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more
throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)

9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.

10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully
charged battery, attempt to start the engine.

11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.

12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no
longer idle.

13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:
This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System
(CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the
engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.

14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.

Just looking at this makes me want to puke and crap at the same time! What this means is they are FORCING the car to brake so that the junkyards have nothing at all to salvage! Damn that government! (feels like going to the junkyard while he still can)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:46 PM
wtf?

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:22 AM
What ~MD~ Enforcer says is true. I found an article in this morning's news regarding this: (coutesy of BayNews9.com)

POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- On one hand, the "Cash for Clunkers" program unveiled recently has a good shot at accomplishing its big goals.

On the other, some local car sellers are not so sure.

The program, officially called CARS or Car Allowance Rebate System, will help the environment by getting up to 250,000 older passenger cars, sport utility vehicles and trucks off American roads.

They will be replaced with far more fuel-efficient models, which will reduce harmful emissions belched into the air for many years.

And consumers benefit because they are getting up to $4,500 from the federal government to trade in older model, low-mileage vehicles. It's an attractive way to slice the purchase price of a new vehicle.

But not all auto recyclers are relishing the program, which requires car dealers to destroy the gas-guzzlers they get as trade-ins from new car buyers.

Used engines and drivetrains are a big part of recyclers' income from each scrapped car, and under the federal program those engines must be destroyed. The idea is to promote fuel efficiency and help automakers, but it comes at a time when more than a dozen U.S. auto parts suppliers have filed for bankruptcy this year.

Mike Mahalak of Dodge Chrysler Jeep in Winter Haven said it is only a matter of time before the program's cash runs out.

"I'll be surprised if we get into the end of the first week of August,' Mahalak said.

Congress could decide to add more money to the program if necessary.

The bold part refers to junkyards and auto part makers.
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:17 PM
firegrillincavy wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:this makes me want to drop kick baby Jesus.

Page 127 from.............
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Parts 512 and 599
[ Docket No. NHTSA-2009-0120 ]
RIN 2127-AK53
Requirements and Procedures for Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Program
Quote:

Appendix B to Part 599 - Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.
1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate
(SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)

2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.

3. Install the oil drain plug.

4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the
vehicle to the desired area for disablement.

5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate
the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which
should be sufficient in most cases.

CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be
worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.

6. Replace the oil fill cap.

7. Start the engine.

8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high
rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As
the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more
throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)

9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.

10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully
charged battery, attempt to start the engine.

11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.

12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no
longer idle.

13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:
This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System
(CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the
engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.

14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.

Just looking at this makes me want to puke and crap at the same time! What this means is they are FORCING the car to brake so that the junkyards have nothing at all to salvage! Damn that government! (feels like going to the junkyard while he still can)

OMG i died a little inside when i read this article...junkyards are recycling...its sad to hear that they are forcing people to buy new cars...new cars suck! lol well not really but you know what i mean...why do i wanna have a financed car when my cars already paid off and it runs fine 4500 is a good deal for an old car but they just jack up the price of the new car to compensate for the price they just took off...
phoning monte at the junkyard now gonna grab some more parts...just to make me feel better lol (i live in canada so nothing to crazy like that here in my city but it will only be a matter of time...)

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:13 PM
"OMG i died a little inside when i read this article...junkyards are recycling...its sad to hear that they are forcing people to buy new cars...new cars suck! lol well not really but you know what i mean...why do i wanna have a financed car when my cars already paid off and it runs fine 4500 is a good deal for an old car but they just jack up the price of the new car to compensate for the price they just took off...
phoning monte at the junkyard now gonna grab some more parts...just to make me feel better lol (i live in canada so nothing to crazy like that here in my city but it will only be a matter of time...)"

Oh please!

No one is FORCING anyone to purchase anything. The US Gov''t is holding out a carrot of $4500 to the motoring public and "we" are snatching it up like flies to sugar! There isn't any price jacking going on and people are really getting really good deals on a new car.
They are not taking priceless collectible cars off the highways but the old giant SUV's that run poorly and suck gas and spew emissions.

Our beloved J Bodies don't even qualify for the incentive program so they will be all intact rusting away in the junk yards of America.

The process is ripe for corruption and profit taking and I'm sure it will happen. That is a fact of life and we must live with it.

You are obviously not a candidate for this program even if you lived in the USA. Only those who desire to pay with cash or on time can participate and even then only if you have the credit to score a loan. It is the US Govt once again helping out the better off people with billions of dollars that will have to be repaid by someone in the future.

Oh, by the way, new cars don't suck. History has shown that the cars targeted by this incentive DO indeed suck.

Dave
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:41 AM
The CARS program was environmentally harmful, but libtards will claim the opposite. Money is at the root of the program, just as it's the root of the global warming movement. It was basically a debt trap for consumers and free money for dealerships.

I'm not sure what mechanism the feds will use to crowd out junkyards, but if I had to guess, I'd say they'd do it using the same bullsh!t argument as the CARS program: the environment. An old POS that drips half a quart of oil into the dirt is not a big deal if it helps 3 or 4 other cars stay on the road for another few years.

We have a BS economy based purely on consumption and this won't be the first time the government tries to destroy value in order to raise prices. They can do any number of things to make buying a new car more attractive than say, replacing a blown transmission in an otherwise good vehicle.

Personally, I'll likely never buy a new car and will maintain my 30 year old Porsche and 11 year old Saab as long as it's even remotely feasible. If I do buy a new car, it won't be from any .gov owned company. I'll happily drive my 15 mpg, 30 year old "clunker" as giant F U to Obama. If my Porsche ever becomes inoperable, I'd at least want it parts of it to live on in other Porsches. To crush a car like that is nothing short of a crime.

They can outlaw junkyards if they want, but there's always eBay. What's to stop people from keeping a few parted out cars on their properties and selling the parts online?

Sometimes I think auto enthusiasts need a powerful lobby similar to the NRA, something that domestics, ricers, and eurocar owners can unite under to make sure that .gov stays out of our garages and our pockets.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:34 PM
Solid Snake wrote:They can outlaw junkyards if they want, but there's always eBay. What's to stop people from keeping a few parted out cars on their properties and selling the parts online?

Your local government, of course! Many have enacted statutes preventing this very practice.
Solid Snake wrote:Sometimes I think auto enthusiasts need a powerful lobby similar to the NRA, something that domestics, ricers, and eurocar owners can unite under to make sure that .gov stays out of our garages and our pockets.

You have one. It's called SEMA. They work feverishly to protect enthusiasts' rights in all 50 states, and have been very successful.

A couple of random thoughts:

Modern salvage yards are paragons of efficiency and environmental propriety. They also make copious amounts of cash. They aren't going anywhere soon, as they are an important link in the 100% recyclable supply chain ideal.

Today's vehicles will last longer than ever...as they are better than ever, by a long shot. The national fleet is beginning to grow older again for the first time in years, and it's not just the economy causing it.

Japan has a fascinating way to prevent vehicle salvage yards...they take used cars, part them out while still running, and sell the steel to the Chinese, and the running gear to the world market. Only problem is...American Domestic cars don't have much of a world market! Take solace, however...the Japs do it this way only because real estate is so precious and expensive there. It's more profitable to disassemble working cars than to operate a salvage yard, for the real estate values are stratospheric. They just don't have much room on that island...with only 1/26th the land area of the USA, but almost 1/2 the population, it's tight!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:31 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:They can outlaw junkyards if they want, but there's always eBay. What's to stop people from keeping a few parted out cars on their properties and selling the parts online?

Your local government, of course! Many have enacted statutes preventing this very practice.
Solid Snake wrote:Sometimes I think auto enthusiasts need a powerful lobby similar to the NRA, something that domestics, ricers, and eurocar owners can unite under to make sure that .gov stays out of our garages and our pockets.

You have one. It's called SEMA. They work feverishly to protect enthusiasts' rights in all 50 states, and have been very successful.

This I agree with. If SEMA wasn't here, where would all the tuner enthusiests be? Where would all the classic and modern car shows be without them? Thankfully, I'm glad they are around.

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:Japan has a fascinating way to prevent vehicle salvage yards...they take used cars, part them out while still running, and sell the steel to the Chinese, and the running gear to the world market. Only problem is...American Domestic cars don't have much of a world market! Take solace, however...the Japs do it this way only because real estate is so precious and expensive there. It's more profitable to disassemble working cars than to operate a salvage yard, for the real estate values are stratospheric. They just don't have much room on that island...with only 1/26th the land area of the USA, but almost 1/2 the population, it's tight!

In a way, this is true. Before I had my Cavalier, I used to have a 89 Camry. The neat thing about that car is that Celica parts could work on them and even newer Camry parts up to 97 (i think) could work on them too. I've even seen people go as far as using Lexus parts on a Toyota since it is Toyota's luxury brand. In a way, I see it as similar to the J-body due to the similarities just like the Cavalier is to the Sunfire.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search