Talk to me about the lag please - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Talk to me about the lag please
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:25 PM
So I've noticed that there's considerably more lag with the forum within the past month or two, any word on it? I've noticed it especially with AG, but even just the regular forums, it takes time. I've tried a few locations, with a few different computers so it's not on my end.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.

Re: Talk to me about the lag please
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:14 PM
Maybe Dave is working on a Christmas present for the org....

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:22 PM
Hi Jeffrey. HI Kyle. I too have noticed a slight lag, it seems to be more prevalent in OT/AG/AAG. It has happened in performance, maintenance, and audio/electronics, but not nearly as often.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:36 PM

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:24 PM
I have it too. I think its something to do with the servers. I remember Dave talking about the .org needing more power sometime soon.

But it probably has to do with the shear amount of @!#$ in OT/AG/AAG.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:42 AM
yeah, Dave has mention...new servers are needed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:13 AM
My bad, I missed that post. I like pie, but I don't like lag.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:16 AM
I've noticed it as well.... and I also like pie.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:20 AM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:I have it too. I think its something to do with the servers. I remember Dave talking about the .org needing more power sometime soon.

Yes, we need more power. And its not just the @!#$ in OT/AG, its the @!#$ across the entire site. Traffic is still high, and the amount of content is still growing. I'm working on a few things that should hopefully speed it up in the short term. But I am hoping to be able to upgrade to a new server sometime in 2010. We need it. Badly. We are maxed out on our current server (we had 2, but some time ago 1 died, and at that time I maxed out the remaining one). But that's not saying much... dual P3 1.4GHz, 4 gigs ram, U160 SCSI hard drives.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:22 PM
Are you hosting these local Dave? We could run another donation campaign, I bet that would go over real well if you toss us some premium in return for some extra donation action.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:26 PM
^^^That

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:03 PM
or just sell some JBO stickers for money.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:15 PM
Or JBO pies. !topic Pie!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:33 PM
hell I'd just give Dave $50 to help for it.. the knowledge, friendshipish, and entertainment here is worth that at least to me... If you could get 10-20 people that feel that same way your at 500-1000.. should be a good chunk to help out. I know times are tough for a lot of people here and like many here I'm living check to check right now, but i feel it would be worth it. Esp considering I would hate to see a lot of past info disappear..

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:23 PM
Id shoot some money your way Dave. I spend a lot of time here and have learned a lot here.

Plus i think 50 bucks is worth the houirs ill save in lag free time over the year

Monday, December 14, 2009 3:28 PM
Dave wrote:
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:I have it too. I think its something to do with the servers. I remember Dave talking about the .org needing more power sometime soon.
Yes, we need more power. And its not just the @!#$ in OT/AG, its the @!#$ across the entire site. Traffic is still high, and the amount of content is still growing. I'm working on a few things that should hopefully speed it up in the short term. But I am hoping to be able to upgrade to a new server sometime in 2010. We need it. Badly. We are maxed out on our current server (we had 2, but some time ago 1 died, and at that time I maxed out the remaining one). But that's not saying much... dual P3 1.4GHz, 4 gigs ram, U160 SCSI hard drives.
Wow, we have better than that coming through our surplus equipment sales every once in a while. It's in Tempe https://webapp3.asu.edu/spms/public.aspx

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:24 AM
I have another server here, which is considerably better (its only 4 year old technology, instead of 8 year old ). Unfortunately it may have a fried motherboard. I just ordered a processor for it, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it works, then it'll tide us over for a while.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:36 PM
Haha sweet tits. Keep up the good work.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:50 PM
i love sweet tits

Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:33 PM
Say the word Dave, I know there's a bunch of us regulars who would pitch in for a brand spanking new box for the JBO. We could easily raise a few hundred for a brand new quad core, 8 gigs ram, 2 terabyte monster machine.

Friday, December 18, 2009 7:26 PM
Hells ya we could. Im all for overkill.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:34 PM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:...for a brand new quad core, 8 gigs ram, 2 terabyte monster machine.

That's not much of a monster machine... I have the specs here for a monster machine... four AMD 6-core processors (for a total of 24 cores), 256 gigs ram, 6TB of storage. Now that's extreme. Of course its also probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000. I'm looking to keep it around $1000, which is about right for a decent 1U single processor 4 core machine with 4+ gigs and 1+TB storage. Any cheaper then that and I'm looking through the used pile, unfortunately. Still, if this machine I'm working on here pans out, then we can hopefully get by for a year before we have to worry. I've got the processor, now just need to pick up a couple minor parts and I'll see if it works. I should have an update in the next few days.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:01 PM

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:14 PM
Dave i sent you an email but any interest in 2 Xserve G4s?

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:33 AM
Dave, I've been here from the start, and helped in the last donation. I'll be more than glad to give for the next one.
Heck, when you switched over to the new servers that weekend we actually went outside and that's when a bunch of us from the JBO all met for the first time in real life on Gratiot. And that night Brett Cohagen Ian Lacey, Jeff Bruce and myself formed JBOM (J-bodies of Michigan) And that was a LONG time ago so i can see how it's time for something new.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search