*Waits patiently* - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*Waits patiently*
Monday, December 14, 2009 8:48 AM
First off the reason for the title, and the posting of it here, is because last Saturday, 12/12, I got involved in an accident right nearby work as I'm on lunch. As I'm waiting at a stop sign, I look to the right to check for clearance from traffic, see an opportunity, but fail to look to my left and as I try to get going, I get hit in the left front, from the centerline of the wheel forward. Of the party that hit me, they were able to drive away after the report is made with the local PD, while for me, my '03 had to get towed. As far as from the damage that I see, I'll need both air bags(yes, somehow the were set off), front windshield, front left fender, front bumper, left front strut and maybe spring too, washer fluid bottle and lower intake resonator. The frame doesn't look tweaked, control arm doesn't look bent, neither does the wheel, headlight was fine, everything looking good under the hood.

I had called the insurance company only about 30 minutes ago and got the claim process going. All I can do for now is hope for the best. Does anyone possibly know why my air bags went off considering I was hit in the left front and that the air bags in the van that hit me didn't go off. I check the resources that I have, the front impact sensor is in the front center, but oh well.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Re: *Waits patiently*
Monday, December 14, 2009 9:51 AM
you got hit thats why the air bags went off it doesn't have to be just dead center. Your car is totaled too sorry.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:25 AM
I drive a silver car wrote:Your car is totaled too sorry.

not necessarily.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:32 AM
cannon fodder wrote:

not necessarily.

From what I have heard, you right in most respect. From what I recall from a series of TV episodes of Trucks! from Spike, most insurance companies will write a vehicle off as totaled if the total amount in repairs exceeds 75% of the value of the vehicle. But I don't know if it is true for all companies.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:04 AM
cannon fodder wrote:

not necessarily.

True but I would out a very hefty bet. Sounds identical damage that was done to my 02, that car was mint I think just about a year old and with only 30,000k or so. They practically totaled it over the phone before they even looked at it. If it needs suspension work it was enough of a hit to include that whole corner plus the airbags. IMO car is done.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:14 AM
they wont write it off just for what you mentioned... new body panels are cheap... same with washer fuild res... pull it off a junker etc...

tho i have no idea what they charge for the airbags... that might up the claim quite a bit..

My buddy just had his truck written off for the same kind of damage, only to the back end... but his was written off because the bed of the truck (explorer sporttrac) was all fiberglass and was like $2500 to replace...

just imo anyways... hope for the best, plan for the worst..
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:17 AM
paul bateman wrote:just imo anyways... hope for the best, plan for the worst..

Been doing that already. Been looking at Autotrader and Cars.com and had found a local dealer that had an '03 LSS manual.

http://www.crystallakechryslerjeep.net/used-inventory/2003-Chevrolet-Cavalier/c8ed3e4d4046381e00a97cec7ca66ea2.htm

And the funny thing is, the dealer is a block away from the dealer I got my current '03 from.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:24 AM
I forget how old the car has to be before you can buy it back I think maybe 7 years thats sounds right but I can't be sure. Paul if the car goes to a shop for repair they are not allowed to use used parts in a fix from an accident anymore. There was some law that passed that made companies have to purchase new parts (still can be aftermarket) because they had cars that were repaired in unsafe condition do to old faulty or failed parts. I don't know the details I just remember briefly talking about it when I had gotten my car fixed a year or two ago.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:39 PM
I drive a silver car wrote:...they are not allowed to use used parts in a fix from an accident anymore. There was some law that passed that made companies have to purchase new parts (still can be aftermarket) because they had cars that were repaired in unsafe condition do to old faulty or failed parts.

Are you completely sure about this? Maybe it is state to state because here in Wisconsin I know the body shops are purchasing salvage yard parts. Maybe they aren't supposed to be, but I am interested if you know if this is federal or state.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:49 PM
Chris wrote:
I drive a silver car wrote:...they are not allowed to use used parts in a fix from an accident anymore. There was some law that passed that made companies have to purchase new parts (still can be aftermarket) because they had cars that were repaired in unsafe condition do to old faulty or failed parts.

Are you completely sure about this? Maybe it is state to state because here in Wisconsin I know the body shops are purchasing salvage yard parts. Maybe they aren't supposed to be, but I am interested if you know if this is federal or state.

those are called @!#$ thats dont want to do it the right way and scam money off customers.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:59 PM
in Winnipeg canada some smaller shops get parts from wrecking yards, but in the end you end up saving a @!#$load of money because parts from a wrecker are cheap and as long as the shop warrenties the work i dont see a problem. hardly a scam.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:09 PM
MBR82 .. wrote:
Chris wrote:

those are called @!#$ thats dont want to do it the right way and scam money off customers.

Well, not necessarily. Personally, I would rather get a used hood or door knowing it was a factory part, than to get one of the imported body panels that I've never seen fit right. Also, I don't give a damn if I get an airbag from a salvage vehicle and save several hundred dollars. You are right if someone is getting charged for new parts and the shop uses salvage, but sometimes using salvage parts will allow the vehicle to be repaired instead of totaled.

The reason I asked the question is that I know that the body shops here in northern WI frequently use salvage parts, but they don't try to hide it.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:46 AM
I drive a silver car wrote:
cannon fodder wrote:

not necessarily.

True but I would out a very hefty bet. Sounds identical damage that was done to my 02, that car was mint I think just about a year old and with only 30,000k or so. They practically totaled it over the phone before they even looked at it. If it needs suspension work it was enough of a hit to include that whole corner plus the airbags. IMO car is done.

After talking with the claims department this morning to get to the next step in process, a number of years ago when air bags used to be expensive to replace, they would write off the vehicle as total. Nowadays since the price for the air bags has come down and is more considered as a replacement part, it doesn't guaranty the car being totaled.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:10 PM
They gave my dad the option of a used or remanned hood for his Accord when it got backed into.

They guy said they usually use new unless the customer specifies otherwise. This is in Ohio.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:16 AM
this is something i do know for once lol. we own 2 wrecker services where i am from and use to own a salvage pool. depending on the year of the vehicle and the cost of the airbag its self it can be totaled. ive seen a brand new truck with hardly any damage get totaled over airbags, but then ive seen the oppisite. i just wrecked my sunfire in october hit a pole there was just a little body damage on the side but i lost both wheels on the left side they were bent. well rthe point is they totaled the car even through the repairs only totaled like a grand(no my airbags didnt deploy) so i just paid out of pocket

Friday, December 18, 2009 4:42 PM
75% of the value on newer cars and about 50% of the value on older cars. Really all depends on the value of the car.
Used parts all depend on state to state, what the insurance company says and what part it is being used.
No air bags are to be bought used when repaired at a body shop in any state that I know of. Right there totalls your car. 2 airbags run well over a grand with the module, windshield and dash piece.
Suspension parts are really all preferance of the insurance company. Like here in Jersey, New Jersey Manufacturers won't allow for any aftermarket suspension part at all, not even a wheel, while Geico or Progressive will allow for anything in the suspension to be aftermarket.
Yes you can find parts cheap and put them on yourself but if you are to have a shop do it for you they are going to charge labor and do it right. Remember parts don't come perfect and the right color and ready to put on.
You may think that it is just swap parts but you could have a bent rail, a tweaked strut tower ect.. Things you can't see unless you measure the car.
You will not save any money in the long run if you hope to fix a totalled car on pennies. Things like a suspension that you can't get an alignment on wear a big hole in your pocket when you have to keep buying tires.

Friday, December 18, 2009 5:02 PM
i know what its time for!

my kyb agx/eibach pro-kit

and

my 2001 Z24 front end conversion!!!

you know you want to!

Friday, December 18, 2009 5:19 PM
Well, the verdict is in. The verdict is that the car is declared a total loss.

David Alameda (Zspeedcav) wrote:No air bags are to be bought used when repaired at a body shop in any state that I know of. Right there totalls your car. 2 airbags run well over a grand with the module, windshield and dash piece.

You are right on that. Based on the estimate I got; Driver side: $781.15, Passenger: $788.27, Front Impact Sensor: $144.39, Air Bag Control Module: $414.23, Dash Pad: $339.81. So, just for the air bags, $1,569.42. For the module and sensor, $558.62. So in total for all above, $2,467.85. That is basically 39.2% of the total cost of $6,290.09.

So, now I got to get around to getting another car. So, got to check my options, see what's available and see what I can get. Wish me luck.

Monday, December 21, 2009 6:44 AM
Good Luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search