OBDII question - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBDII question
Friday, December 11, 2009 10:32 AM
Im just looking top find a simple answer on this..

When i borrowed a OBD2 scanner from a buddy, he told me not to start the engine with it plugged in... or else... lol..

The manual also stated (in bold as well) not to start the engine while connected...

however it seems they make many programs that access the OBD port and provide real-time data and virtual gauges etc...

So now im just wondering what the official answer is... seems $60 for a obd usb connector and my laptop would be money well spent rather then $100+ for a dedicated code reader...

Re: OBDII question
Friday, December 11, 2009 11:00 AM
The official answer is... if you want to buy your buddy a new scanner, go ahead and start the car. All the scanner does is read CEL codes while the ignition is on. If you want the fancier stuff, get the one that has the usb end to go into your laptop.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Friday, December 11, 2009 11:16 AM
so its scanner dependent and not an obd2 restriction?

thats kinda what im getting at.. i've already given it back to him anyways (no codes) but i would like to get my own... the usb interface is like 60 while the stand-alone scanner is 100+
Friday, December 11, 2009 11:58 AM
Check into scan gaugell

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=scan+gauge&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I run it on my car,and it reads/clears codes etc,has all kind of gauges,heck it even calculates horsepower,gas mileage etc.

Friday, December 11, 2009 2:17 PM
thats cool... but i dont really need something constantly running... more for just a diagnostic when i need to...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CAN-BUS-EOBD-OBD-2-OBD2-USB-Diagnostic-Interface-V1-3_W0QQitemZ370305050430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item5637e6a73e#ht_3643wt_1165

im looking at something like that (tho it was just an example.. i avoid items from hong kong and for a penny.. lol) and my old thinkpad...

seems like a cheaper alternative (provided you own a laptop) to buying a obd scanner for $100+

anyone have any experience with a similar setup?
Friday, December 11, 2009 7:15 PM
in my shop at school we use OBDII scanners and all of them you can use while the car is running. ive never heard of one where you cant start the vehicle while its plugged in
Friday, December 11, 2009 7:25 PM
innova 3100... dunno what happens if you do start the car with it, it probably just lacks real-time functionality... i dont think its very expensive... but it did the trick i suppose..
Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:18 AM
Two things. On a CAN Type Networks, High Speed lines only have 3.5v and low has 1.5v so its not likely that the scanner will get fried. Most scan tools will cut off when the car is cranking anyways doe to the voltage dropping. The idea is don't start the car while reading/writing to a PCM because you could damage to PCM.

ASE Certified Technician (A1,A4,A5,A6,A7)
DiamlerChrysler Certified Technician
Volvo/Ford Entry Level Certified Technician
Hyundai Motors Bronze,Silver and Gold Certified Technician
Option D Racing Member
Monday, January 04, 2010 10:11 PM
Well I have a actron cp9110 large unit with key pad and screen and does run with the old cav key on or running (1985 obd 1) for diagnostics and real time info.Granted its dated now,but it shows all the specs and codes and etc.I do have the cartridge that plugs into it and covers tons of gm stuff not just my ride.Kinda related but,I am prolly gonna spend the money to buy a obd2 cord to run it on my wifes car for future stuff.I paid like 300 for the unit and plug in card (this covers tons of gm cars84-95) so at least I got my moneys worth.Just sharing my two cents.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search