whats up with this - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
whats up with this
Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:25 AM
I own a 1998 sunfire, before I bought it, it had a new engine installed, from a 2000, my first question it how is this possible, aren't the 2.2 engines, 2000+ different then the pre 2000, would the previous owners have to have changed the wiring, and would it have mount up to the 98 tranny . I also own a 2004 sunfire with an eco in it and I am looking for a body to drop that drive train in because the car is wrote off and my understanding is, that if I was to drop everything in the 04 into a pre 2000 that I would need to weld in another tranny mount, and by the looks of it my 98 and my 04 both have the same amount of engine an tranny mounts which is three unless that there is one hidden that I cannot seem, and they are all in the same place, Both Cars are Canadian models so is there a difference between American made ones and Canadian,

Re: whats up with this
Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:04 AM
i want to say the trans mounts will have different chassis locations between the getrag in the eco and the isuzu? in the2200... there are no major differences in the 98 - 02 2200 motors. The upper motor mount is different between the two motors but attach to the same place on the body.

there are differences between Canadian Js and united states Js, but i think its mainly badging (03 - 05 Z24 only exists in canada)

Monday, February 01, 2010 2:39 PM
GME Chat User: Speedline02 wrote:i want to say the trans mounts will have different chassis locations between the getrag in the eco and the isuzu? in the2200... there are no major differences in the 98 - 02 2200 motors. The upper motor mount is different between the two motors but attach to the same place on the body.

there are differences between Canadian Js and united states Js, but i think its mainly badging (03 - 05 Z24 only exists in canada)

pretty much correct. also with the 03-05 we got the Sunfire Sedan. US did not.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Monday, February 01, 2010 8:21 PM
^^^^^ go canada!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:18 PM
Im pretty sure that all autos have the same mounting points.

Yes, to put that eco into the pre2000 you need to rewire the whole car(and keep the 04 cluster too). In 2000 GM put BCMs(ECUs for the body of the car) in every J and the eco will not run without it.

219whp - I <3 whine

Friday, February 05, 2010 3:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I am looking for a 2000+ sunfire or cavy but all I can find is automatics, and mine is a 5speed, How different is the wiring harness and the mounts between the two.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search