Hopefully get an answer quick - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hopefully get an answer quick
Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:54 AM
I was wondering im looking at getting a mint condition auto 98 Z24 with a 95K Swap, on shell 195K all it needs is a new Thermostat, will the car overheat on me driving it right now in these - temps, i'm getting one with the car just not installed, should i put it in right away?? and how much to put in hours labour 70$ ?

Re: Hopefully get an answer quick
Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:03 PM
who diagnosed the thermostat? they are more likely to be stuck open rather than closed, thus making them run too cool rather than too hot.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:13 PM
2.4L with 95k miles and a cooling problem almost certainly is in need of a new water pump, not a thermostat. Lord help you if you aren't a mechanic. I believe last time I checked a water pump replace was a 10 hour job by the book.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:13 AM
water pumps on those are no fun.....

Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:31 AM
if its the 2.4L its a HUGE job been here done it and i dont recommend attempting unless youre well experienced and have tons of patience and good memory and tons of tools and a place to keep the car for a few days.

i have mechanic friends who will not touch the 2.4L engines at all. even my neighbor mechanic across the street who is a mechanic for caterpillar in peoria told me he wont touch them..

i just did a water pump on a 04 new beetle 1.8 turbo the other day and book time on those is also 10 to 13 hours..

runs off the timing belt and bolts into the face of the block behind the tming set

the plastic impeller blades break off,, this one only 38k miles..

yeah... its awesome....

but i did it...

in that much time or less

engines these days are insanely designed..

good luck..

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:57 AM
mr wabbit wrote: i just did a water pump on a 04 new beetle 1.8 turbo the other day and book time on those is also 10 to 13 hours..

did you just make that up to make yourself feel better about it taking so long? Warranty time is 2.x hours, customer pay about 3. Trust me I wish you weren't full of @!#$, I'd be a rich man, but unfortunetly you are.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:59 AM
Darkstars wrote:
mr wabbit wrote: i just did a water pump on a 04 new beetle 1.8 turbo the other day and book time on those is also 10 to 13 hours..

did you just make that up to make yourself feel better about it taking so long? Warranty time is 2.x hours, customer pay about 3. Trust me I wish you weren't full of @!#$, I'd be a rich man, but unfortunately you are.

I laughed so hard I peed a little.

Water pump isn't so bad as long as you are a patient person who enjoys living in/under a car for long periods of time. I never timed my experience, but a weekend was about the amount of time it took with two of us working at a cautious pace.

It was about the same time as pulling the old and installing the new motor when the balance shaft sprocket met it's maker at the hands of the chain. Thank GOD that inbred bastard didn't survive, I might still be stock and not building my new motor.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:30 PM
lol at the vw comment... but yes the water pumps on the 2.4s are no fun

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search