A J body bash concept, near Lordstown.. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A J body bash concept, near Lordstown..
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:14 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Mark and I'm new to this site.

I dont own a J body now, but I did have a 97 at one time.

I'm here to see/ask if there would be any interest in a J body bash with an unusual twist...

2010 / 2011 marks the 30 year anniversary of the end of the H body cars, and the beginning of the J body cars at the Lordstown Ohio plant. (Fall of 1980- Summer of 1981)

For those not in the know, the H body was a 1970's compact car, similar in size to the J body, but was rear wheel drive, and utilized 4, 6 and even 8cyl engines. The hatchbacks had the Teardrop side window similar to the 95+ J body.
There H body car's were the Chevy Monza, Pontiac Sunbird, Buick Skyhawk, and Oldsmobile Starfire. 1975 to 1980.

Would there be any interest in a J-body / H body show at Lordstown this summer? I'm not sure how to get it all set up but there IS an H body meet happening nearby at Quaker City Raceway Park. I'm thinking there could be a show at the plant, then a friendly J-body vs. H-body meet at the racetrack. A 1/4 mile strip. Sometime in June or July.

Would anybody be interested? would anybody think thats cool?

Re: A J body bash concept, near Lordstown..
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:55 AM
The bash is in ohio an in august

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:17 PM
z28guy wrote:The bash is in ohio an in august
that is the GM Small car Bash... which im pretty certain includes only FWD cars.... the Monza was rear wheel drive... however its predecessor was the Vega and that was front wheel drive

However with the GM small car bash being in august, you probably won't find too much support for anything in june or july

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:48 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:
z28guy wrote:The bash is in ohio an in august
that is the GM Small car Bash... which im pretty certain includes only FWD cars.... the Monza was rear wheel drive... however its predecessor was the Vega and that was front wheel drive

However with the GM small car bash being in august, you probably won't find too much support for anything in june or july

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.... I'm not sure if the H body meet date is set in stone, It may be able to be scheduled to correspond with the show... The track is about a 40 min ride from the plant. You guys can come crash
A little more H body info: On the Vega being Fwd...nope...that technology wasnt going to hit mass production for another 8 or 9 years. Back in 1971 when the Vega came out it was a Rwd 4cyl car with a 4 link axle set-up like a chevelle.
It replaced the Corvair as GM's answer to the ever popular Volkswagen Beetle, and other emerging imports. It was styled to look like the sporty Fiat's of the day.
The Vega could have had a bigger engine, any old chevy small block V8 fits in the engine compartment, but the rear axle would hop under serious horsepower.
That was solved with the introduction of the 2nd generation H body utilizing an early "tourqe arm" rear suspension later used for years on the F body thru the 90's as an easy solution to keeping an axle from twisting out of a light weight unibody car with alot of torque.

Would the Show in Ohio, really exclude anything Rwd? It's a subcompact, and was built at the Lordstown Plant (If the show is at the plant, I still have to check the details, which I'm going to do right now) ..

Thanks again for the info..
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:57 PM
Ok...I see now, the GM bash isn't at Lordstown. I was hoping the plant would be hosting some kind of bash like they've done in years past.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:06 PM
Ooops, I meant 'Torque' arm..
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:30 PM
Id be up for having something, I used to live in that area and I actually worked at the Lordstown plant in 02 and 03 as a contract employee. But now I live in Florida and Id like to take my cavalier "back to its birthplace" . But its an 03 model with 111,000 miles. I usually only drive it around town.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:48 AM
not likely to get many to attend since most people that have been here for a while will attend the small car bash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search