value of a modded car to stock. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
value of a modded car to stock.
Monday, April 12, 2010 5:30 AM
Its a well known fact that a modded car is never sold for what was put into it. My question is, is it worth it to keep my stock ls sport parts around? I've so far kept my stock replacements for my mods like my hood, shifter, etc. Should I just sell these as I go or would it be worth more when I sell to put it back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts? Just something I was thinking about.

Opinions?

Re: value of a modded car to stock.
Monday, April 12, 2010 6:00 AM
i keep all stock parts. you never know when something will break.

you can get more selling a stock car and a bunch of parts rather than selling a modded car

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:46 AM
Unless you don't plan on selling it, atleast for a long time, or don't mind fishing around for stock replacements & worrying about getting them painted, etc (if body related) I would keep them. If you are already planning on selling it, than you should deff hold on to everything.

Monday, April 12, 2010 9:27 AM
^^ I just bought the car and plan to keep it through college. I want to keep it running for quite a while.

I have no intention on selling it.

With that said.

What would a stock 03 LSS be worth in perfect stock condition at 150-175k miles? Keeping the parts around would just be to put it back to stock to sell when the im ready to get rid of it. I would then sell the aftermarket parts here. Im just trying to prioritize between keeping them for stock re-sale and selling them to go toward mods. I know an LSS kit is worth a couple bucks.

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:40 AM
Thanks lol.

Shoulve thought of KBB.

Monday, April 12, 2010 11:30 AM
A stock car will ALWAYS sell for more, and faster than, a modified car. Unless you have something special... like a real show car... but even then, a J-body doesn't demand any real money... so...

People shy away from modified cars... because they assume they're been rat-bagged. And usually they have.

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:02 PM
John Lenko wrote:A stock car will ALWAYS sell for more, and faster than, a modified car. Unless you have something special... like a real show car... but even then, a J-body doesn't demand any real money... so...

People shy away from modified cars... because they assume they're been rat-bagged. And usually they have.

this, unless you plan on dumping a ton of money into modding it, keep the stock parts around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 12, 2010 9:42 PM
with a 175k youll be lucky to see 1000$
you can get a 04 lss for 2500 with 90k on it right now, so with 100k more its down to half that

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:25 AM
in 2005 i spent $7500 on my 2000 Z24 for 48k on it

however looking up prices on it now, vs selling it in a few years isn't gonna help you, the blue book value can potentially drop over the years.. .

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:36 AM
Matt Gorman(ECOjunkkcurse) wrote:with a 175k youll be lucky to see 1000$
you can get a 04 lss for 2500 with 90k on it right now, so with 100k more its down to half that

That's inevitable. Cars are one of the worst investments a guy can make. I was just asking because the sales from my stock parts would help me pay for the modded ones, but i gotta think about the future too.

Anyway, thanks fellas!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:54 AM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:in 2005 i spent $7500 on my 2000 Z24 for 48k on it

however looking up prices on it now, vs selling it in a few years isn't gonna help you, the blue book value can potentially drop over the years.. .

Very true..

In 2004 I speant 9200 on my 2002 LS coupe with 14k on it. lol.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:01 PM
And on the other hand...I paid $1000 for an 03 about 5 months ago. High miles, electrical problems... and bone stock base model... but I can always fix that

Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:25 PM
wow you guys pay out the ass for cars, chrsit.
i got my 2004 lss with 30k for 4500

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Monday, May 03, 2010 8:28 AM
I suppose it all depends on if and when you sell the car. I assume that if your '03 LSS is already over 150k, you arent going to get a whole lot of money for it, take it from me. I recently sold my '01 cav base model with 170k for $1000, thats after i put the stock intake, wheels and radio back in it (those parts I later sold to help mod the eco in my '04).

I'd say keep it until its no longer worth it to fix, and sell your stock parts for some quick cash. Just dont expect top dollar for your car, because it is agreed that modded cars go for less.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Monday, May 03, 2010 9:30 AM
It has 85k miles =(

Monday, May 03, 2010 9:45 AM
If thats the case, then just keep the stock parts... 85k is a teenager for a cav. It all boils down to what the car is worth to you. If you are planning to get something else, I would sell your cav before she hits 100k. Personally, I have a '04 LS with 52k, though I plan on getting her to 200k before I consider selling it for what its worth at that time.

My honest opinion would be to keep that SOB until its worthless. By the looks and sound of it, you already put a lot of time and money into modding it, and by now you probably know every part, every sound and exactly what it can do. You've got a sweet ride, always up for debate, but If you get a new car, whether it be a J or something else, you are starting from scratch.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Lord knows I've been in this situation before...

Monday, May 03, 2010 10:05 AM
Well thank you. After you mentioned that i updated JayJay's profile lol.

We will see!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search