2200 Mile Roadtrip? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 Mile Roadtrip?
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:48 PM
Hey I'm planning on driving my 2003 5 speed Cavalier from Seattle Washington to Dallas Texas. My dad is concerned my car wont make it. It's got 72000 miles, and runs great. Only thing I'm concerned about is the rare chance that the engine might start spraying oil after a long drive. I can't remember where i read this, but someone had an ecotec sunfire and after a long drive they had oil everywhere in their engine compartment. The reason I'm concerned for this is because if you pop the hood on my car, you can see that the bottom of the hood (where the black sound deadening material is) is soaked in what seems like oil. This must've been from the previous owner, because since I've had the car (1 year) theres been no oil leaks or anything. Just wanted some advice if you guys think my car will be fine on such a long demanding drive. Btw car is completely stock besides the stereo.

Re: 2200 Mile Roadtrip?
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:01 PM
You should be fine if you let the car take breaks, I had to on trips like that, but I had 115k on my engine with pretty bad blow-by.

Honestly, I think you'd be fine. Every four hours or so I think YOU should take a break, driving long distances like that will mess you up. Even if you think you're fine, take a five minute break any way.

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 6:11 PM
Why wouldnt your car make it?

I really dont understand why people say "I dont think my car can make it" Has it made it for the last 2200 miles around town?

I have driven my Cavalier to so many states, and it has been on tons of long distance road trips, including several from NC to MI, up and down the mountains, thing has never missed a beat, has never left me stranded or anything.

I take very good care of my vehicle though.

Some food for though, g/f has a 1998 Sentra with 175000, we have driven that from NC to MI and back, it uses like 1/2 quart of oil per gas tank, but makes it just fine

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:18 PM
If you're car is going to break then it's going to break. Highway driving would be less stressful on the car than city driving anyway.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:50 PM
Pfft.. I drove from Vancouver, BC down to Seattle... then east all the way to Ohio. In fact, a few times... 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005.... car never let me down.

As long as your car is working fine... you should have nothing to worry about. And if it does break... at least the J-body cars are easy and cheap to fix.

I think highway driving is better for the car than city driving anyway. At least it gets air through the rads to cool off.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:12 AM
WOW! Thanks for the input guys, you have put my anxieties at ease haha
Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:37 AM
We drove our now wrecked '04 sunfire from Alberta to Ontario and back, driving 16 hours a day with rare stops. People always underestimate how tough cars are. Even the most problematic cars will run for a long time and take abuse far worse than a piddly road trip can throw at it.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:48 PM
Hell we took my dads truck from PA to Idaho..then took it up the mountain to go huntin...and it was an hour in the woods at least till we got to camp...then 3 weeks later back down and home here in PA....we only stopped for gas and at a few places.

As long as your car is in good working order you should be fine.
Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:35 PM
see the car in my sig? ya, piece of @!#$. but it made it from Ontario to Alberta with out a problem.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Friday, April 09, 2010 10:29 PM
It'll never make it. In fact, it will probably blow up and kill everyone in the vehicle. Sorry to break it to you but its true. Happened to a few friends of mine... It was terrible.
Monday, April 19, 2010 4:04 PM
just do some things to prepare for the trip - oil+filter, air filter, tire check, brake line check, fluid topups just the regular maintenance to ensure your car can handle it. 72000 miles is low if the car has been cared for, and like everyone else is saying, if your car is going to break - its going to break, what can ya do. I wouldn't even be asking if my car can make it with reference to the mileage

'99 Sunfire - Bought April 07/Sold April 2010
'05 Sunfire - Bought May 2010/Wrecked Feb 2011
'05 lssport - soon???

Monday, April 19, 2010 5:44 PM
Sean Clair wrote:It'll never make it. In fact, it will probably blow up and kill everyone in the vehicle. Sorry to break it to you but its true. Happened to a few friends of mine... It was terrible.

you are a idiot

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:35 PM
I would just change the oil if it will exceed the oil change time before hand.Other than the normal stuff like tire pressure,checking fluids and tune up stuff if it is time for it do so before.And another item most people never check is the tire pressure in your spare tire! I would bet it is low.It is typically the basic stuff at least to me that cause issues on highway drives like the one your taking.I think you should carry a crate with a gallon of antifreeze or water,a quart or two of oil,jumper cables,some rags,glass cleaner and paper towel it won't hurt I carry this in my rides all the time for the just in case,and even have a fire extinguisher.My four cents

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:33 PM
islandEcotec wrote:
Sean Clair wrote:It'll never make it. In fact, it will probably blow up and kill everyone in the vehicle. Sorry to break it to you but its true. Happened to a few friends of mine... It was terrible.

you are a idiot

You know, at least if your going to call someone an idiot, use propper grammer. It's much more effective.
Bsides...I was obviously kiding about the car. You should be fine. Like everyone else is saying, just get your car checked up and do some basic maintenance on it before hand and you are good to go.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search