not sure where to put this but, thought you guys would get a laugh... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
not sure where to put this but, thought you guys would get a laugh...
Monday, June 21, 2010 1:51 PM
im driving home today when i catch out of the corner of my eye, a nice black z24 for sale at a local buy here pay here, i figure what the heck its worth a look, cars in pretty good shape, not much rust at all(seeing as im in nc) 1998 2.4L 5 SPEED :-), sunroof new tires. decent paint...180k miles...front bumper and fascia are alittle scuffed up and its missing the foglights (lights gone, harnesses hanging) but what the hell ...ive been looking for something like this for a while so i walk inside to see how much there wanting...get this....$4,995. i asked the guy...is that american dollars?...seriously?! 4995? are you nuts?
Is it me or is that WAYYYYYY too much for a 98' with 180k??
shouldnt it be worth around 2500 in PERFECT shape from a dealer???

Re: not sure where to put this but, thought you guys would get a laugh...
Monday, June 21, 2010 2:08 PM
Kelley Blue Book price is $3,995 in excellent condition.

KBB.com

Print that out, and lowball him. You could get lucky.
Monday, June 21, 2010 2:35 PM
yea, EXCELLENT condition...to meet kbb's level of excellent it almost has to be off the showroom floor, which it isnt...it still seems WAY too high doesnt it??
Monday, June 21, 2010 2:50 PM
I paid 2k for my '96 with about 90k in '08. Everything works.

Paid close to 5k for the '00 Z24 with 145k in '05ish. Gave the car away it was so @!#$ty.

Paid 300 for my '95 sedan in '09 with 189k. Ran fine.

Depends on where you go, Blue book doesn't matter to alot of these people. You can spout off blue book this/blue book that, They don't care. Someone WILL pay that price sooner or later if they don't budge.

Monday, June 21, 2010 2:55 PM
Thats about what dealers are asking for them, but yeah, they shouldn't be getting that much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 21, 2010 2:55 PM

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, June 21, 2010 11:52 PM
Pfft.. I paid $1000 for an 03 last year.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:59 PM
there worth 'a lot' to a dealer, til you drive off the lot.

used cars are ridiculously priced, especially cavaliers. they just dont care that the rest of the world values them as @!#$.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:50 PM
It gives the dealer more room to make profit even if someone beats them down a thousand dollars they still make a decent profit and the new owner feels like he accomplished something

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:50 AM
way too much money for that car. For a grand more you can pick up a nice 05-06 cobalt. I bought a 2003 cavalier sedan last fall and got it for $2,700 with tax and all that It was around 3G. at the time it had 107,000 miles. Im sure they bought that Cavalier for around 2 grand or maybe even less than that. when I was looking I seen one exactly like the one I bought but it was at a Toyota dealership and they wanted about 5 grand for it. that was October and it was STILL there until April.
Friday, June 25, 2010 5:17 AM
If it's a buy here pay here dealer, they tend to gouge the sh!t out of people because most of their customers can not get credit anywhere else. There are a lot of those dealers in my area, and $5-8K is where they price 90% of their stock, and it's always over priced. When you tell them you'll pay cash or get your own financing, they usually knock a grand off without any negotiating yet.

As for the KBB price, look at the notes on their page:
Quote:

Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history, but has not been certified in accordance with any Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program the automaker may offer (for which it may or may not qualify, according to factors such as vehicle age and mileage). This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.
Quote:

Excellent:
Looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning.
Never had any paint or body work and is free of rust.
Clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection.
Engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects.
Complete and verifiable service records.
With missing parts of any kind, it's already out of excellent condition. I'd highly doubt that a 180K mile 12 year old Cavalier is free of rust, looks like new, and has never had paint or body work. I also highly doubt it has complete and verifiable service records. Any owner that diligent wouldn't have missing parts with dangling wires where the parts were.

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:54 AM
Tooooo much. Last year I sold my 04 base coupe, that was in reasonable aesthetic condition, great mechanical condition, 70k miles, rust free (florida car - big plus around here in new england)... for 4k.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:51 PM
Sadly, all used cars are going up....it's getting interesting up here:

Around the corner from me is a 1990 Grand prix 2dr w/189k for 3 grand.

I just saw a 05 coupe w/ 133k in decent shape selling for 7995...private party!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:35 PM
i blame it on the cash for clunkers program...... supply and demand!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:45 AM
The true reason for this is because there are enough dumb people in this word that don't know that EVERYTHING is negotiable. They see a sticker price and think that it was set there by the government. That's only the negotiations starting point. If someone like me walked in there I'd walk out with a 98 cavalier for $100 more than they bought it for. You on the other hand, might pay $5000 +tax. Knowing now what the car is worth now, you know their price is pretty foolish. Go in there and throw them a low number JUST as foolish. If you go in there and offer what the car is worth, you'll end up paying to much. The lower you start in a negotiation, the lower you end. GL!

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:58 PM
Ive seen 03-05 cars going for around $3995 w around 100K miles. 5 large for a 12 year old Cav with nearly 200K on the clock is outrageous.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:16 AM
thats the economy, gas prices are driving the cost on all smal cars up

age is one thing....experience is another, i'm not the greatest in the world, but I can do it, and I can do it right
Thursday, July 01, 2010 7:05 AM
i'm going to have to go with that is WAY to much. i bought my third cavalier less then a year ago. a 2004 LS Sport Coupe with sunroof and 40,000 miles for 5 grand (and that was in California the overpriced state. i would skip out on that deal man.

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
1964 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

*Gone But Not Forgotten*
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe
1972 Chevrolet Camaro
Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:42 PM
Yeah that is pretty crazy. Here in Illinois, when i bought my vert abt a month ago, i paid 4500 for it, they had it marked up to 4995. Still not a ton of money off, but it was 4500 out the door, with new plates and taxes included. So i pretty much paid around 4200-4300 for the car. Also remember mine is a 00 Z24 Convertible, and it had 118,000 on the dash. Now paying the same price for a car 12 years old, and more then 70,000 more on the dash, is redicolous. If you want the car, i would say, go and haggle the hell out of them. When i walked out the dealership, they said no to 4500 OTD, and I didnt even make it home before they were calling me and telling me they accepted my offer. Just gotta be firm and ready to walk away. If they wanna sell, they will.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:50 PM
just looked on craigslist and found down the road a z24 with 150000 miles looks to be in pretty good condtion for 1800.00

http://members.cardomain.com/freakycavy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search