Forum Changes, Bugs, etc. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Forum Changes, Bugs, etc.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:20 PM
The forums are currently undergoing some major changes. These changes are all 'under the hood', however, and other then the occasional 'down for maintenance' messages, you should see nothing new. Unfortunately that isn't always the case, and I know there will be bugs. I need everyone's help in identifying those bugs. If in your day-to-day browsing of the forums you encounter something not working as it should, please post it in this thread.

This thread is not for feature requests. If you have an idea either email me or post it elsewhere. Premium members have a site suggestion thread in AG. If you are premium, feel free to post your ideas there.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Forum Changes, Bugs, etc.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:24 PM
One small note; in OT, AG, AAG and Politics/War, your read threads have been reset. This is not a bug but a consequence of the recent changes. I apologize if there is any confusion. I have heard some reports that this has happened in other forums, and it should not have. If you notice it in any forums other then those I just listed, let me know.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:18 PM
We have a signature bug.... i'm emailing you the details

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:02 AM
I've had a problem with Google Ads constantly reloading or something, and it locks up my browser. It doesn't happen every time, and I haven't been able to find a pattern yet.
I basically have to run the JBO in a seperate window so that I don't lose my other tabs when I have to ctrl+alt+del out. Started maybe a week ago?

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:09 AM
OHV notec wrote:I've had a problem with Google Ads constantly reloading or something, and it locks up my browser. It doesn't happen every time, and I haven't been able to find a pattern yet.
I basically have to run the JBO in a seperate window so that I don't lose my other tabs when I have to ctrl+alt+del out. Started maybe a week ago?

I just run an ad blocker or a Javascript blocker. Ya I know Im premium but I dont always log in when Im on.

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:30 AM
interesting bug... i doubt its related to the changes, but the stickies in general are acting up...

the buying selling car sticky was last posted in by Adam L in April 2009, but now says on the forum page (last post today at 2:07 AM)

and my GME Chat sticky from months ago shows today at 2:06 AM

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:12 AM
This is not really a bug. There was a spammer that posted crap in those threads, and his posts were deleted. The date does not revert to the previous when you delete a reply.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:28 PM
There's a thread with -1 posts in the interior section... idk what's up with that.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:15 PM
why is the type so small? can't hardly read the threads

Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:08 AM
Hold down the Ctrl key and hit the plus or minus key.......

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:27 PM
I notice that I can browse, cruise topics, etc with no problems. If I post to a thread, JBO on my computer "loads" for about 2/3 minutes. During that "load", I can't browse anything on JBO at all. Can't load new topics, different sections, etc. Until the page I was on "posts", JBO locks up. Doesn't do that with any other website either.

I'm on FireFox, BTW

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:03 AM
Exodus 259 wrote:If I post to a thread, JBO on my computer "loads" for about 2/3 minutes.

When you post a message, part of the process that goes on in the background is the forum software attempts to determine your hostname based on your IP address. For 90% of people, this is very quick. For most of the rest, there is no hostname associated with their IP. Of the people in that group, usually the system determines that fact rather quickly. But for some, and this applies to you, there is some sort of misconfiguration that causes the request to hang. This is most likely the fault of your ISP, or some upstream provider that has allocated those IP addresses. The only thing I can do is remove the code that determines hostnames. But that is annoying for the moderators. It is usually far easier for them if they can see a user's hostname when there are questions about duplicate accounts or other such shenanigans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:58 PM
-In the war section I wanted to update my sig under the "change setting" and notice that what is saved there is not what is publically displayed in the section. (?)
-Also the "War" section does not exist if I go: Change setting>Forum-Specific Options>Forumscroll).
-Lastly to change a sig in a specific section, do we still follow the same instruction as before?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, September 13, 2010 1:50 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:-In the war section I wanted to update my sig under the "change setting" and notice that what is saved there is not what is publically displayed in the section. (?)

Not sure about that, there have been some sig issues, I'll look into it.

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:-Also the "War" section does not exist if I go: Change setting>Forum-Specific Options>Forumscroll)

This is a known, and quite significant problem. I am working on it but it'll be some time before its fixed. It has already been brought up in AG a while back. Here's what I wrote about it there...

Dave wrote:There is still one "issue" regarding forum-specific settings, and it probably won't be fixed for a little while. You can look at it this way - there are now basically 2 forums in one. One is the j-body specific forums, and the other is the global forums. When you are in the global forums you can't edit any options for the j-body specific ones, and vice-versa. So just make sure you go to the forum first that you want to change the settings for. It will be fixed eventually, but it will be a while because its not an easy fix."

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:-Lastly to change a sig in a specific section, do we still follow the same instruction as before?

As I said in the above quote, make sure you are in the forum that you want to change the settings for.

Monday, September 13, 2010 5:17 PM
Dave wrote:
Exodus 259 wrote:If I post to a thread, JBO on my computer "loads" for about 2/3 minutes.

When you post a message, part of the process that goes on in the background is the forum software attempts to determine your hostname based on your IP address. For 90% of people, this is very quick. For most of the rest, there is no hostname associated with their IP. Of the people in that group, usually the system determines that fact rather quickly. But for some, and this applies to you, there is some sort of misconfiguration that causes the request to hang. This is most likely the fault of your ISP, or some upstream provider that has allocated those IP addresses. The only thing I can do is remove the code that determines hostnames. But that is annoying for the moderators. It is usually far easier for them if they can see a user's hostname when there are questions about duplicate accounts or other such shenanigans.

That does make sense. I didn't have the problem while I was on Hughesnet, and was going through a wireless router. Since I upgraded to Clear, with the same configuration still, I've noticed it. That's weird that a wireless signal like Clear would have a hostname issue, but a satellite signal wouldn't? *shrug*
Monday, September 13, 2010 5:27 PM
Dave wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:-In the war section I wanted to update my sig under the "change setting" and notice that what is saved there is not what is publically displayed in the section. (?)

Not sure about that, there have been some sig issues, I'll look into it.

When I go to War Forum Options, the links for my sig are same for the other forums, but I have different sig for the War section and it shows publicly what it should be, even though the link are completely off. I tried changing the links to the appropriate picture and saved it, the links goes back to where it shows for the rest of the forum, very odd. Either way it shows the right sig in War section and the other forums, just the links in the War Forum Options do not coincide with the public pictures. Hope that made sense.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:26 AM
Exodus 259 wrote:
Dave wrote:

That does make sense. I didn't have the problem while I was on Hughesnet, and was going through a wireless router. Since I upgraded to Clear, with the same configuration still, I've noticed it. That's weird that a wireless signal like Clear would have a hostname issue, but a satellite signal wouldn't? *shrug*

Hughes is sateliite and Clear is?? Cable? DSL?

going through the wireless router has no bearing on your issue... look at it this way...
ISP = Internet Service Provider

Charter = ISP
Cox = ISP
Verizon = ISP
Clear = ISP
Hughes = ISP
AOL/Timewarner = ISP
Road Runner = ISP
Suddenlink = ISP

(there are more.. just making examples)
Each one has their own policies for how they do things. Everyone has an IP address... Most ISPs will associate a host name with an IP Address.. for example Dave = ip*.ph.ph.cox.net (with the * = a unique number that identifies him uniquely, that i obviously removed) ... and obviously Dave uses Cox. Clear on the other hand does not associate their IP addresses with Hostnames. So the system checks your IP, looks for a host name, and fails, and something internal to Clear does not immediately tell the system that there is none, so it keeps searching and searching and searching, hence the *Hang* since the system does not allow you to do really anything else while its posting (to prevent double posts and such)

Cliffs notes: Its not your setup at home, its internal to your Internet Service Provider. You have two options... both may work, one may work, or neither may work...

Option 1) If your IP Is static (meaning it does not change frequently) from your ISP, Call them and ask them to associate it with a host name... They may do it... or they may politely tell you to F off...

Option 2) Associate your IP with a hostname yourself using a Free RDNS service (you'll have to set the PTR record)... this one is a bit confusing and doesn't always work (and will never work for the rest of us with a host name associated)

Option 3) this really isn't an option but if its that serious of an issue, switch ISPs.

Hope this helps clarify things for ya

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:29 AM

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:59 AM
Oh I get IP's and what not. That's not the problem :-). Clear is wireless internet provider. They aren't mainstream yet everywhere. Their modem works similar to a cell phone signal. It just reads a signal from antenna towers that are around the area. Since I can see the tower basically in backyard, I have amazing signal, lol. As far as I've seen, I believe my IP is static. I would imagine the problem is them, like you said. Specially since they are still developing and what not. I'll just deal with the hang, lol
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:01 AM
couldn't hurt to call them... some ISPs don't take that extra step and assign a host name to their IPs

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search