LD9 Problems........again(HUGE sob story inside) - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
LD9 Problems........again(HUGE sob story inside)
Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:16 PM
Ok so im driving to work this morning at 3am, going to airport to catch a flight. So i get 30 minutes from home and all of a sudden my car starts missing(HEAVILY) and then suddenly comes out of it and runs fine for another couple of miles. Well after those couple of miles this thing starts missing again,much worse than before. Missing so bad that it wont pull itself in 3rd gear WOT. The CEL comes on(Great huh?) and starts blinking like storbe light at me(This cant be good). So i coast in to the nearest gas station and pop the hood. Thinking to myself,Damn, Something smells hot.

I look under the car and low and behold is a glowing exhaust(SWEET! or not ). Only the rear half section of the cat and about 12 inches of pipe there after where glowing. So Start trying to see if i can find anything wrong with this hunk of junk. I had a spare ICM so i changed that out real quick (Neon coil swap). ICM changed nothing. I checked the the coil for fire on both sides and found that they both hurt really bad so i know it has good blue fire first hand. I tapped on the fpr,nothing,I unhooked it,nothing. So basically im standing by my car going WTF!!???. Long story short it started up again and it would idle (Somewhat). It would rev up some but the intake tract sound different than normal when i burp the throttle. Sounded more hollow for some reason.

The cat material was coming out in flakes out my exhaust. So cat is shot and most likely the muffler.
Now on another note i had no problems with the car in the past 2 months after coil swap.

I did not have my code scanner on me to check to see what the codes where being thrown because im out for 2 weeks at a time and didnt see a use in having it with me. My brother hauled the car home for me so its not get towed to the scrap yard (Unfortunately).

If anyone has had similar issues or might know what would be wrong or have more questions(besides having codes to go off of,forget that for a few days till my bro can stop by and read em for me) just ask, I might have forgot something.

Im just wanting to get some ideas as to what might be wrong so i can be buying stuff while im out on the road and have it fixed ASAP when i get back.

Thanks in advance for your time

Re: LD9 Problems........again(HUGE sob story inside)
Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:21 PM
Your cat is clogged. probbaly dumping to much fuel into it.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:31 PM
My cat clogged and I could barely get to 25 MPH. Cut it off and put a pipe in its place.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:37 PM
But would it go from running fine to instantly running like butt? My buddy thought it might be a stuck injector spraying extra fuel or stuck FPR.....
Gonna be 2 weeks before i can get back to my car...though...prolly just gonna order a 2.5 in cat and a new muffler

Anyone got anymore ideas on what it could be?

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:44 AM
Sounds like it's clogged. The exhaust is probably backing up and causing the excessive heat & irratic behavior.

Before you get too worried, replace the cat & go from there.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:04 AM
Miss Jazer wrote:Sounds like it's clogged. The exhaust is probably backing up and causing the excessive heat & irratic behavior.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:21 PM
Yes the cat is NOW bad, but that is not what caused the problem. Throwing another cat in it will NOT fix the problem.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:30 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:Yes the cat is NOW bad, but that is not what caused the problem. Throwing another cat in it will NOT fix the problem.

This. Cats dont clog on there own. Something make the car dump fuel into it. I vote for crank position sensor. Itll throw your spark timing way off since the computers doesnt know where the crank is in relation to the cams. Sometimes youll get a random catch and fire but it wont last long. It keeps spraying fuel that isnt being combusted, thatll go out the exhaust and clog up the cat, and sometimes itll fire back through the intake.

Ive been there before with a Grand Prix. Belt chewed the sensor wire in half. The car ran fine and then started hesitating and chugging. If you goosed the throttle itd catch a little then fall on its face. Sounds like the same thing to me atleast.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:01 AM
Thought I would not that the problem is fixed now, turned out to be a bad ICM connector, replaced that and its fine(after having a high flow cat and new muffler installed)

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:28 PM
Yellow Cav Guy wrote:
Miss Jazer wrote:Sounds like it's clogged. The exhaust is probably backing up and causing the excessive heat & irratic behavior.

you bumped this 2 month old thread, just to quote someone else with no new information???

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search