I really want another Cavalier, but.... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I really want another Cavalier, but....
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:14 PM
Like the title says, I want another Cavalier. I miss my old one, and am looking into getting another. The trouble is, Chevy wasn't nice enough to make the one I want. I want an Ecotec, but I want an 00-02 front end.

SO... My question for you guys is:

Would it be cheaper/easier to find a 5-speed 03-05 and convert the front end/trunk to the older style OR to buy a 00-02 Z and swap the engine/transmission (and do a few mods while the engine is out)?

Thoughts/comments/concerns/ideas/input/compliments would all be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Re: I really want another Cavalier, but....
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:15 PM
02 lssport...done
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:17 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:02 lssport...done

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:18 PM
Yes, but they are a bit hard to find in rural MN haha. plus, i want the satisfaction of having done something to the car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:33 PM
Doing the front swap will probably be easy. The truck swap is easy too, but you need paint for the front and rear.

Not sure which would be cheaper though.

I'd bet you could find a nice low miles 03-05, and swap the front and rear. Would probably be a bette bet anyway.

Or, you could learn to love the 03-05 front, and just swap the rear.

Or be like me, love the hole thing.

Yeah, my opinion is get a nice low miles 03-05 and swap the front, rear, or whatever.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:49 PM
Ecotecs are an easy swap into the 00-02 cars... it's the older ones that are a bit trickier. Then you don't need to worry about painting the body parts you swapped...

If you can find a nice condition 00 Cav 'vert... swap an eco in it... you'd have a real winner. And the convertible top is just plain awesome in the summer... and dry winter days, with the heat cranked

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:56 PM
OHV cavs will prolly be cheaper.

swapping the drivetrain IMO is quicker and easier than doing body work and paint.

cheaper? depends on if you can paint your car..

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:24 PM
John Lenko wrote:Ecotecs are an easy swap into the 00-02 cars... it's the older ones that are a bit trickier. Then you don't need to worry about painting the body parts you swapped...

If you can find a nice condition 00 Cav 'vert... swap an eco in it... you'd have a real winner. And the convertible top is just plain awesome in the summer... and dry winter days, with the heat cranked

Funny you say that i happen to drive one of those rare sights everyday.Yes a eco swapped vert. anyone who was at the bash saw her there.

Diff note the parts at the yard would be easyier and cheaper even after paint. unless you can find a decent eco donor that parts if missing any will add up quick and can get even more costly. I lucked out i found a fresh yard baby was just missing the rad. Id say the panel swap since any 95-02 lid and hood will fit. taillamp outters all the same just the inner backups changed a bit in style. fenders stay and that just leaves you the headlamps/corners and bumper. all pretty decent to find u may just need to go toward civilization hahaha.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:12 AM
I guess it varies where people are... I can pick up a complete drivetrain for $300... but body parts are waaaaaaay more expensive...

Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:07 AM
John Lenko wrote:I guess it varies where people are... I can pick up a complete drivetrain for $300... but body parts are waaaaaaay more expensive...

If I were able to find that, my vert would already have the Eco and a 5speed swapped in

Thursday, December 09, 2010 2:30 AM
Anything is hard to find in rural MN, so that's not gonna make the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:48 AM
Viper98912 wrote:Anything is hard to find in rural MN, so that's not gonna make the difference.

QFT

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:31 PM
Thats why you have to travel to get what you want... i live in tn, but flew to arizona to get my 96 supra...
Friday, December 17, 2010 8:55 PM
hyperblu wrote:Thats why you have to travel to get what you want... i live in tn, but flew to arizona to get my 96 supra...

But thats a Supra not a J Body, or parts Lol

Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:24 AM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:
hyperblu wrote:Thats why you have to travel to get what you want... i live in tn, but flew to arizona to get my 96 supra...

But thats a Supra not a J Body, or parts Lol

But he has a point. I drove 4 hours to get my cavi. Granted I didn't go across the country, but still. There were just none around fully loaded LS Sports with a manual. Sometimes if you are looking for something "rarer" (I say rarer because cavaliers aren't rare, but certain options and combos are rarer), then you're going to have to search hard and wide.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:02 PM
John Lenko wrote:Ecotecs are an easy swap into the 00-02 cars... it's the older ones that are a bit trickier. Then you don't need to worry about painting the body parts you swapped...

This.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search