timing chain water pump how to? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain water pump how to?
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:13 AM
I just finished this biblical pain in the ass job on my ld9... Just wondering if anyone would like a how to... and where should I post it... Im usually over at clubcav, but i know alot of jbody owners have migrated here... I know alot of tips and tricks to make this job easier, so just offering my help. Thanks

Re: timing chain water pump how to?
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:53 PM
Its not that hard.... So did you take a coolant bath?!?!?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:02 PM
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:Its not that hard.... So did you take a coolant bath?!?!?

lol, I agree. Its not hard. The first time was a bit of a PITA but iv got it down to a couple hours now. Haynes manual helped me out a lot. I know not everyone has one but for the 20$ if your gonna be working on your car its pretty much a no brainer to have one. I never got the full coolant bath but iv got it down the arm into my clothes a couple times. Stupid metal pipe at the thermostat and its need to hold back some coolant

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:09 PM
Look in the Library, its in there, a whole write up on how to do it.

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:16 PM
I agree it's not difficult. But the Chilton's i used was EXREMELY vague. And there are a few tricks to get off the exhaust flange from underneath the car.. I rounded the bolts to the exhaust flange because of the angle of the flex coupling. And I took the chain off too soon because I based the timing position off the camshaft keyways instead of the holes, again, because the chiltons was so vague. And I drained the coolant before taking off the pump, so only about a cup of coolant came out, but i disconnected the metal pipe from the top. I just find it retarted that you have to remove the exhaust manifold to change the water pump... This engine design is horrible.. the dis ignition system is horrible. These cars are just built like a sack of laundry... My mkiv supra has 170k miles and doesnt rattle,pop, or vibrate like these cars... and it's a 96. 2 yrs older than my cav...
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:28 PM
I also hate how the chiltons is accurate about the 2.2, but with the 2.3's and 2.4's all you get is text and some crappy inaccurate hand drawn pictures and text...
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:20 PM
I say go for it man, who cares how easy it is because I still see threads to this day of people asking how to change the water pump on the LD9. Most likely it will not be a sticky, but put it in the maintence forum if you decide to do it. Somone will always be searching for it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:37 AM
hyperblu wrote:I also hate how the chiltons is accurate about the 2.2, but with the 2.3's and 2.4's all you get is text and some crappy inaccurate hand drawn pictures and text...

I love Chiltons manuals. Um where is my knock sensor? Next to the coolant temp sensor. Ok so wheres the coolant temp sensor? Next to the knock sensor. Excellent.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:43 AM
David Ortlieb wrote:Look in the Library, its in there, a whole write up on how to do it.

Correct. Would probably have saved you some grief had you looked first if there already was a writeup.
http://www.j-body.org/faq//141/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:28 PM
How to: 2000+ 2.4 water pump replacement

1: pull 2.4
2: send to the junkyard
3: replace with Eco
4: enjoy

See done

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:53 PM
hyperblu wrote:Im usually over at clubcav, but i know alot of jbody owners have migrated here...

haha, other way around...

Monday, December 20, 2010 5:56 PM
Hyperblu, put this on the GMSCF if you want.
I'll stickie it there for others to have.
I had to use both the Chiltons and the Haynes manual to do my water pump way back in 2001. Between the two manuals, I got it done with no issues except that the exhaust cam was one tooth off on the timing chain. lol I had to tear it all down again, re-time it, and got it working perfectly.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:03 PM
I guess I am an exception of sorts. I have never had a problem working on a 2.4. I find them incredibly easy to work on.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:47 AM
mitdr774 wrote:I guess I am an exception of sorts. I have never had a problem working on a 2.4. I find them incredibly easy to work on.
Same here.... Other techs used to feed them to me because they hated them so much.... Whatever, made me good money over the years...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search