04 cavi with a hole in the block... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cavi with a hole in the block...
Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:32 PM
ok i got to work this am an went to start my cav an heard a funny noise well then it wouldn't start or even turn over.
look under an sum how there is a hole in my block just behind the starter...great.so my question is will an s-10 2.2 fit in my car or what all will fit? i'm not looking to race or anything like that just maybe go a bit faster lol. but stock is fine too i just need my car back on the road.
it's a 2004 2dr 2.2 ecotec cavi automatic. any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
mike&crystal

Re: 04 cavi with a hole in the block...
Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:40 PM
it will fit but the 2.2 in the s-10 is a different engine than your 2.2 ecotec.
you have to swap over the wiring harness, computer, etc.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:03 PM
Your motor was an L61 Look HERE under L61 for what had your motor. If you do get one from something other than a 2003-2005 sunfire or cavalier... I would recommend swapping the intake, throttle body, exhaust manifold, and fuel rail, and injectors to the "new" motor. I think everything else is pretty much the same... or close enough.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:57 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:Your motor was an L61 Look HERE under L61 for what had your motor. If you do get one from something other than a 2003-2005 sunfire or cavalier... I would recommend swapping the intake, throttle body, exhaust manifold, and fuel rail, and injectors to the "new" motor. I think everything else is pretty much the same... or close enough.
What?

you cannot swap the intake, tb, exhaust mani, and fuel rail, + injectors to an S10 2.2

the s10 2.2 is an LN2 OHV push rod motor.

you can swap it, this is what you will need

- Transmission, as our cars are not rearwheel drive as what is attached to the s10 2.2, and eco bellhousing is different from the LN2
- 2000 + computer ( since your car has a BCM, and components that run off the BCM. running an older ECM will require at least the gauge cluster to be swapped out)
- Complete Engine Wiring harness
- you may have to get and weld in aftermarket trans mounting brackets depending on how the automatic bolts up. i know the pre 99 isuzu 5 speeds had a different mounting points than the post 99 getrag 5 speeds. i do not know how the automatic bolts up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:01 PM

Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:01 PM
The oil pan is cavy/sunflower specific as well.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:29 PM
Same with the OHV intake manifolds. Can't use an S-10 one on a J.

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:36 PM
Pics or it didn't happen

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:57 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:
freelancer1988 wrote:Your motor was an L61 Look HERE under L61 for what had your motor. If you do get one from something other than a 2003-2005 sunfire or cavalier... I would recommend swapping the intake, throttle body, exhaust manifold, and fuel rail, and injectors to the "new" motor. I think everything else is pretty much the same... or close enough.
What?

you cannot swap the intake, tb, exhaust mani, and fuel rail, + injectors to an S10 2.2

- Transmission, as our cars are not rearwheel drive as what is attached to the s10 2.2, and eco bellhousing is different from the LN2
- 2000 + computer ( since your car has a BCM, and components that run off the BCM. running an older ECM will require at least the gauge cluster to be swapped out)
- you may have to get and weld in aftermarket trans mounting brackets depending on how the automatic bolts up. i know the pre 99 isuzu 5 speeds had a different mounting points than the post 99 getrag 5 speeds. i do not know how the automatic bolts up

why don't you L2 read! He has an 04. Freelance is telling him to switch over the stuff to the new motor so it run the same. Very smart.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:24 PM
lol ok so the s-10 engine is a no go, thanks for that bit of info we are looking for a wrecked cavi or sunfire we can rob for the parts.
thanks again for the input feel free to add. an mr.lenko we will post sum pics but i hafta find sum time off to get started but it did happen. thanks again guys
Monday, February 28, 2011 9:04 PM
Also, how the hell did a hole just appear in your block?!?!?! That just doesn't happen. Hahaha. Also, if you find a 5-speed Cavy or flower, send me the shifter boot and console. Ill pay u.

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:05 PM
Also, how the hell did a hole just appear in your block?!?!?! That just doesn't happen. Hahaha. Also, if you find a 5-speed Cavy or flower, send me the shifter boot and console. Ill pay u.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 5:39 AM
seen a eco one on cl in seagrove n.c. For 250 bucks with 174,000miles.
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:39 AM
Phil G wrote:
What?

why don't you L2 read! He has an 04. Freelance is telling him to switch over the stuff to the new motor so it run the same. Very smart.

I need to learn to read??? you need to learn to read... So lets put up the OP's original post

mike brandly wrote:great.so my question is will an s-10 2.2 fit in my car

it's a 2004 2dr 2.2 ecotec cavi automatic. any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

So now the OP wants to drop a pushrod LN2 out of an S10 in to an 2004 cavalier...

how the hell do you expect the OP's intake mani and stuff will bolt up to the LN2... does 04 eco parts magically bolt up to the LN2... do i need to remind you what an LN2 looks like

This is the motor out of an S10.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:45 AM

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:52 AM
The way I read it he's telling the OP to use an L61 Eco, and it that L61 is NOT out of an 03-05 Sunfire (if it came out of a Vue, or an Ion, maybe a Cobalt) that he should swap the intake, throttle body, exhaust manifold, and fuel rail, oil pan and injectors to the "new" L61 he's putting in.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:01 AM
yeah, i can read it that way too... but since the original poster directly asked if the s10 motor will drop it, i took it in context that he was answering the question of the OP.

but i digress
mike brandly wrote:lol ok so the s-10 engine is a no go, thanks for that bit of info we are looking for a wrecked cavi or sunfire we can rob for the parts.
thanks again for the input feel free to add. an mr.lenko we will post sum pics but i hafta find sum time off to get started but it did happen. thanks again guys

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:33 PM

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:23 AM
Dont you have to be careful of some of the 2.2 ecos. I thought the g5 and cobalts had a different timing gear on the crank.

Monday, March 07, 2011 9:28 AM
What?

I was talking about the l61 from cars other than the j-body, but personally I would stick with the j-body ecotec motor. Sorry to confuse it with the OHV 2.2 LN2. My bad, lol. I know you can't swap parts from an LN2 to a L61.

Monday, March 07, 2011 10:15 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:I need to learn to read??? you need to learn to read... So lets put up the OP's original post

freelancer1988 wrote:Your motor was an L61 Look HERE under L61 for what had your motor. If you do get one from something other than a 2003-2005 sunfire or cavalier...

Sorry man, this time reading > you.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:07 PM
Vin F! 8th digit. That is the Eco you seek.

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:09 PM
I still want pics of the hole in the block

I like carnage pics!

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:43 PM
Lenko here's carnage...side of the block

look carefully at these 2 and you can see the rod hanging out the block

& last but not least...
the whole thru the oil pan

As long as i've been around this is my 1st time posting pics so i hope i did it right.

It beats a Honda!

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:49 PM
ok so i guess i didnt do it right can somebody inbox me instructions on how to post pics...lol

It beats a Honda!
Monday, March 07, 2011 4:50 PM
Theres no pictures bromane.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:38 PM
Dave wrote:
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:I need to learn to read??? you need to learn to read... So lets put up the OP's original post

freelancer1988 wrote:Your motor was an L61 Look HERE under L61 for what had your motor. If you do get one from something other than a 2003-2005 sunfire or cavalier...

Sorry man, this time reading > you.

lol, my bad...

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:43 AM
freelancer1988 wrote:lol, my bad...

I meant that for Kyle, not you.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search