How much would you pay for this Sunfire? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much would you pay for this Sunfire?
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:20 PM
We are going to be selling Susan's (Stargrrrl) 99 Sunfire GT. We are trying to figure out how much to ask for it. KBB lists it as $2,285 for fair condition, $2,810 for good condition. Would you guys paint it and fix all the stuff listed below before selling it?

Here's the specs

1999 Sunfire GT

Mechanical:
4-Spd Auto
2.4L
~100,000 K
New Alternator
New Battery (both within last 1000 miles)
A/C blows cold
Needs new struts and mounts on all 4 corners

Options:
Power Windows
Power Locks w/keyless entry
Power Mirrors
Stock CD player

Interior:
Graphite
Excellent Condition
No rips, stains or other scuffs
Passenger window motor needs replaced. Works, just very slow and stalls near the top.

Exterior (gulp)
Black
Typical GM clear coat peel. All panels except trunk lid and bumpers
Good wheels and tires with good tread left
Typical Daily Driver door dings, nothing major
Aftermarket Tiburon molded wing. Tasteful.

Re: How much would you pay for this Sunfire?
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:26 PM

As is, I'd probably pay at the most $1500 for it.

If you want to get $2000 or maybe over that... id fix the window motor at the very least, and go to a junkyard and pull a descent set of shocks and struts out to replace what you have. At what the KBB value is, I definitely wouldn't bother with any bodywork or paint. You will pay to much to have it done and the profit on the car would be slim. You would actually make more on the car by not painting it. Unless you have a buddy that will do it for a case of beer and cost of materials.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:31 PM
meckster wrote:As is, I'd probably pay at the most $1500 for it.

If you want to get $2000 or maybe over that... id fix the window motor at the very least, and go to a junkyard and pull a descent set of shocks and struts out to replace what you have. At what the KBB value is, I definitely wouldn't bother with any bodywork or paint. You will pay to much to have it done and the profit on the car would be slim. You would actually make more on the car by not painting it. Unless you have a buddy that will do it for a case of beer and cost of materials.

my thoughts, verbatum

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:50 AM
Take care of the mechanical, nix the paint, win.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:00 AM
If mechanical was fixed.... $2000 at best. You'll probably get $1750. Window motor is a big deal to most people.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:42 AM
Just curious if you guys are stating your prices based on knowing Jbodies, or if it's what they're going for in your area. They seem close to what I thought I could get before I did some research into what they go for in my area. I'm finding 2.2, older, WAY more miles for more than you guys have mentioned. The paint would be a Maaco cheapie if it did happen. I can't help but think if the older, slower, more high mileage cars are going for more, the paint would hold me back. Newer ones with WAY more miles are going for $5k+ in my area, the dang paint is the worst thing this car has going on. I'm not even going to list it for sale on JBO, so this is what the general Joe Schoe public would pay.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:14 PM
All things considered? I say $1500. With the motor for the window fixed, I would possibly go up to $1800, but you'd be pushing your luck if I were buying it.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:07 PM
I've seen 03+ j-bodies with the same mileage going for the $3k range.. some even less. but then I see pre-2000 base models going for $2k.. it's kinda give or take. if it were me and I wanted it gone, I'd fix the window motor, post it for $2300 and let ppl negotiate. you might find someone willing to throw down $2k cash.. it's a matter of patience

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:11 PM
It would go for 3k or a bit more here...

Plus, gas prices are going to jump huge. Fix a few things...wait it out a bit-offer it for 4k, and let them bring it down a bit.

If you can wait until late spring, you'll make some money off that, because someone bought a truck that no needs a car.....

Friday, April 01, 2011 2:57 PM
Id only give you guys a ham sammich and glass of water.

But really $1500 at best, these things aren't worth the metal they are made of when selling them.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, April 01, 2011 3:30 PM
Here in SW PA, I've seen 2000 base models with paint issues and 100K+ go around $4K. One 2000 SE that I looked at had 120K and clear peel sold for just under $4000. When I got my 2000 SE with 63K on it from a dealer in Greensburg, it was $6K before financing.

Jim

Saturday, April 02, 2011 9:14 AM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:I've seen 03+ j-bodies with the same mileage going for the $3k range.. some even less. but then I see pre-2000 base models going for $2k.. it's kinda give or take. if it were me and I wanted it gone, I'd fix the window motor, post it for $2300 and let ppl negotiate. you might find someone willing to throw down $2k cash.. it's a matter of patience

x2. I'd try to clean it up best I could, and start with a price that's a bit higher than what you expect to get. The kind of people that worship KBB may laugh at your price, but a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the right person comes along you'll get your original asking price. If not you have room for negotiation since you set the price higher. When a person feels that they have "talked you down" on the price it makes them feel they are getting a better deal, and they are more comfortable with the price you expect to get. Right now is a good time to sell since a lot of people have tax returns burning a hole in their pockets. Good luck with the sell!

Saturday, April 02, 2011 4:06 PM
Yeah, I'm going by the other cars listed for sale in my area. I was amazed how high they were priced. I know kbb says it is worth next to nothing.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 6:17 PM
that's not a bad idea, but there are ppl that are just delusional and ask astronomical amounts for their j-body. earlier tonight, I was helping a friend find himself his first car, and since he really likes my black coupe Z, we were looking for Cavaliers in his area (Philly). my gf chimed in with a '97 base vert in Baltimore.. I open the link, and its exactly that: a '97 base model Manta green vert with dealer graphics. the woman wants $4k for it and says, and I quote, "car has high mileage, but they're highway miles to Florida".. LOL.... I dunno, maybe you do stand a chance to make some good money from your car

Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:44 AM
i just got $1500 for my pos that was closing in on 200k miles...

I'd fix the window motor and put it out for $2500 OBO. Just because people here won't pay doesn't mean the average run of the mill non-car person won't.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, April 04, 2011 8:50 AM
I just bought a 99 Z24 with 127,000 on it for $400. The only problems are a bad engine cradle, and out of adjustment rear drums.

It passed "echeck" or emissions test here, and is plated. I have driven it to and from work a few times now without a problem.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 04, 2011 1:08 PM
Thanks for the input everybody. window motor will definetly get replaced and I'm thinking I may do the suspension as well. I priced everything out on rock auto and it will be around $400 to fix it all. including the alignment. paint most likely will not be fixed. I think we will list it for $2500 and see what happens. after fixing all that stuff it will be a solid car with just cosmetic problems.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search