rpm's at highway speeds - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rpm's at highway speeds
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:49 PM
I just purchased a '97 sunfire gt with 5speed. When driving 70mph the rpm's are about 2800-3000 in fifth. Just woundering if that seems right, our if its just me. I appreciate any feedback.

Re: rpm's at highway speeds
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:56 PM
With my 4t40e (4spd auto) I am do about the same.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:57 PM
yep.

english are good.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:37 PM
bradsk88 wrote:yep.

english are good.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:00 PM
cruise control to upstate NY on rte 88 yesterday had me at 1400 @ 75mph.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 6:39 PM
jamie fix wrote:cruise control to upstate NY on rte 88 yesterday had me at 1400 @ 75mph.

I call shenanigans

Monday, May 30, 2011 10:55 AM
With my 99 5speed I usually drive about 65 around 2500rpm +/- depending on wind and everything
Monday, May 30, 2011 2:59 PM
Kardain wrote:
jamie fix wrote:cruise control to upstate NY on rte 88 yesterday had me at 1400 @ 75mph.

I call shenanigans

Good call.
2400. my bad. Getting used to a new laptop with an actual keypad SUCKS.

Monday, June 06, 2011 9:28 AM
2700 at 70mph....3000 at 80mph

Monday, June 06, 2011 10:19 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:2700 at 70mph....3000 at 80mph

You of all people shouldn't be doing 80mph.

Anyways, I have a 97 Sunfire GT with a 5speed, just like yours. 2500-3000rpm sounds right

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:51 AM
80 is not that fast at all?

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:45 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:80 is not that fast at all?

this is why you shouldnt have a drivers license. your going to kill someone, let alone yourself, one day. you just dont get it

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:19 PM
Actually to be fair to him 80mph is a speed limit in some places. Few and far between but i have seen signs that say 80.. I'll do 80 if it says 75 even but 80 is where i draw the line not only because of speed but because it starts to really hurt MPG. Sorry a little off topic but yes your RPM's are fine I'm right around there with an ECO and a 5spd.
Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:49 AM
RED wrote:Actually to be fair to him 80mph is a speed limit in some places. Few and far between but i have seen signs that say 80.. I'll do 80 if it says 75 even but 80 is where i draw the line not only because of speed but because it starts to really hurt MPG. Sorry a little off topic but yes your RPM's are fine I'm right around there with an ECO and a 5spd.

Thank you.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:54 AM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

this is why you shouldnt have a drivers license. your going to kill someone, let alone yourself, one day. you just dont get it

I couldn't agree more. I'm guessing nobody emailed the NY police about his 'intelligent' thread otherwise he'd probably have his license revoked for a while.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:13 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

Depends on the conditions though really. If the rest of the traffic is going that speed I see no reason to cause unnecessary danger on the highway by doing the posted speed limit and making myself be the object that's causing a traffic tie-up.

Also, I know that 5900rpm in 4th gear on mine is roughly 112mph. (Note: I never said this was on a public highway)

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:59 PM
That seems about right for your car.

SHOoff: I have no problem being that asshole that goes the speed limit when everyone else is going 10-20 over. On long trips I have no problem being the even bigger ass by going 60 in the right lane. Sometimes I rather enjoy how much it pisses other people off. Its actually quite amazing how long some people will tail gate and try to intimidate me into going faster when there are three open lanes to their left that have had no other vehicles in them for miles. i think my record so far is 15 miles.

My 98 begins to suck gas fast above about 65. 80 would be completely out of the question for anything more than a very short highway stint. The difference between 60 and 75 is about 10 MPG.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:31 PM
Must be rough, you're from MI. Nobody up there goes the speed limit on the highway.

Here in Ohio up til a couple years ago the law said 65 on the interstate, and 55 for trucks. This made a bad situation because the trucks were constantly 10mph or more slower than everyone else. If there's 3 or 4 lanes to pick, it's probably not a problem. But when it's only a 2 lane, then it becomes more of an issue. An the words you said "right lane". Much of this country doesn't feel it's necessary to drive slow and be over in that lane, so it makes you a minority in that aspect.

Weird about your 98. When I had the 2.2 in it seemed like it got best MPG at 83mph. I dunno why.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, June 13, 2011 10:07 AM
I also have a 1995 Sunfire GT with 5 speed also, about 3,000 RPM @70 MPH seems right.

George (geozinger)
'95 Sunfire GT-my second Pontiac from Hell!
'97 Cavy Beater-still running like a champ!
'04 Sunfire - my kid's car, but I get the bills...
'09 Pontiac G6 - Sport Package 1

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:56 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
RED wrote:Actually to be fair to him 80mph is a speed limit in some places. Few and far between but i have seen signs that say 80.. I'll do 80 if it says 75 even but 80 is where i draw the line not only because of speed but because it starts to really hurt MPG. Sorry a little off topic but yes your RPM's are fine I'm right around there with an ECO and a 5spd.

Thank you.

Go on, keep on speeding around town. Im pretty sure you still street race. I hope you get pulled over again. And I hope the State of New York throws the book at you and you never get your license back. You obviously havent learned your lesson from your previous mistakes.

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:24 AM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:

Thank you.

Go on, keep on speeding around town. Im pretty sure you still street race. I hope you get pulled over again. And I hope the State of New York throws the book at you and you never get your license back. You obviously havent learned your lesson from your previous mistakes.

This thread isn't about Chris being dumb.
That's been established elsewhere.

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:55 PM
bradsk88 wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:

Thank you.

This thread isn't about Chris being dumb.
That's been established elsewhere.

Agreed. But it has been established that at 70mph, 3000rpm is fine

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:31 AM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:

Thank you.

No where did i say i was doing 80 "around town", when im keeping up with traffic and everyone else is doing 70-80, that does not make me the dickhead breaking the law putting everyone else in danger, actually me doing 55(speed limit) would be causing more of a mess then doign 70-80 with everyone else, holding up traffic with everyone riding my ass to get around. Btw i was refferring to the Northern State Parkway which if anyone has been on, it's 2 lane parkway and everyone does over 75 on it...i was cruising at 75 WITH other cars, and a state trooper comes cruising along at around 90ish, pushing people out of the way. Im not saying 90 is ok, im saying he dis regarded everyone doing 75 and did not care...if i was doing 75 on a side street where little kids can run out, that would be different....it all depends on the conditions...if everyone was doing 60 and im doing 80, then yeah ok something is wrong
Spike J wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I'm guessing nobody emailed the NY police about his 'intelligent' thread otherwise he'd probably have his license revoked for a while.

I got out of that, i played the my front plate was stolen card, he said did you report it the next day? i showed the paper and he said ok ill dismiss it...he didnt even care that i got new plates, which i got for free because "victoms to crime can have the charge for new can be waived"
mitdr774 wrote:That seems about right for your car.

SHOoff: I have no problem being that asshole that goes the speed limit when everyone else is going 10-20 over. On long trips I have no problem being the even bigger ass by going 60 in the right lane. Sometimes I rather enjoy how much it pisses other people off. Its actually quite amazing how long some people will tail gate and try to intimidate me into going faster when there are three open lanes to their left that have had no other vehicles in them for miles. i think my record so far is 15 miles.

My 98 begins to suck gas fast above about 65. 80 would be completely out of the question for anything more than a very short highway stint. The difference between 60 and 75 is about 10 MPG.

Around here the Right lane is the Slow lane, and doing 60 in it is still over the speed limit so you wouldnt exactly be the bigger ass doing 60 in the right lane, people might actually get in your way lol but 60 in the left lane, you're gonna have people flashing brights, riding your ass and then you'd be an ass lol but for me, if someone is doing that, ill just signal and go around them...if you're in my way, ill go around you. No reason to rub it in their face that they are going too slow

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:52 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
Spike J wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

I got out of that, i played the my front plate was stolen card, he said did you report it the next day? i showed the paper and he said ok ill dismiss it...he didnt even care that i got new plates, which i got for free because "victoms to crime can have the charge for new can be waived"

Are you really that stupid to keep gloating about how you broke the law not once but twice which now includes Perjury.
95LsCoupe wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:That seems about right for your car.

Around here the Right lane is the Slow lane, and doing 60 in it is still over the speed limit so you wouldnt exactly be the bigger ass doing 60 in the right lane, people might actually get in your way lol but 60 in the left lane, you're gonna have people flashing brights, riding your ass and then you'd be an ass lol but for me, if someone is doing that, ill just signal and go around them...if you're in my way, ill go around you. No reason to rub it in their face that they are going too slow

In MI where mitdr774's profile states he lives the speed limit on interstates is 70 except for semis which I think is 55 so he'd be going a bit slower than the speed limit. Oh and in all states the Right lane is the slow lane however there are exits in the left lane so sometimes the left lane could be the slow lane.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:44 PM
Most Mi highways are 70, 60, 55. I cruise at the truck speed of 60 on a lot of long distance trips. Amazingly enough I actually pass other cars at that speed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search