what fuel mileage do you get with ac on - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what fuel mileage do you get with ac on
Friday, July 29, 2011 2:42 PM
I seem to get 24mpg. im not real happy with that since its a small car 5sp and its not fast. my buddies corolla gets 35 around town and my riends neon get 30 on average. my car is tuned up and runs good so what gives? what do you guys get with ac on? im barely getting 350 miles out of a tank of gas. let me know what you guys get thanks

Re: what fuel mileage do you get with ac on
Friday, July 29, 2011 5:23 PM
You a 2.2(Non-Eco/2200), 2.4, or 2.2 Ecotec? That might help diagnose the problem a bit better.
Friday, July 29, 2011 5:25 PM
Just re-read your profile. I have the 2200, and get similar results. What kind of Highway vs City driving are you doing? IE: I get 375 per tank, with 60%hwy driving)
Friday, July 29, 2011 5:29 PM
Oh, and my windows are down because my AC went to crap before I purchased the car(it was my dad's before I bought it from him)
Friday, July 29, 2011 5:35 PM
Corollas are magic when it comes to MPGs. I averaged 36 mostly city driving and kicking the snot out of ours. The Fit is rated for better but actually does much worse. As for cavs, I have no idea. The only one that had working AC that I've owned got wrote off by my wife almost 6 years ago now.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, July 29, 2011 6:06 PM
I do alot of city I barely get on an actual highway or interstate. I have windowsup ac on and this tank I got 297 mile on 13.4 gallons so avg like 21 mpg I dont drive it hard anymore. I drive prety easy I will say the last tank probably included 2hrs idling.
Friday, July 29, 2011 6:28 PM
I get around 23-25 MPG in my 2.4, all city, not putting around either and most of that is in rush hour so lots of stop and go, try not to use A/C so windows are down. The Wifes Mazda 3 2.0 gets 33-35 city and on the highway 35-37 with cruise set at 130 km/h (probably 80MPH?) If we slowed down, we should probably get over 40. Its pretty consistant though, whether we are in the mountains or in the city, stays close to the same. On one part of our vaction driving through the mountains, where 50% of the time I had to slow down to 40-60km/h and then on striaght streches back up to 130-140, more than 50% of the time in 2nd or 3rd and over 4000RPM, we still maintained +35MPG. Doesn't have the same power as the 2.4 but it still did good, it had to work but had no problems climbing big mountains.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:35 PM
well ive had ac on because its 105 degrees where I am. I just hate the mileage you would think it would do.better I used to average 27 so not sure if the ac killed ot that much
Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:44 PM
Does the A/C blow really cold? maybe it needs recharging? not sure how low pressure would effect MPG.... but I would think it would have to work harder if it was not fully charged? Something to look into if your concerned about your MPG....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:15 PM
o yea itll freeze you out. one thing ive noticed was car at idle kinda hiccups once in awhile does have a glass pack so.maybe thats why? car runs good and has always done this since I got it. plugs are new to
Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:58 PM
Mine did have ac til the ac clutch started screwing itself up. With it one, I got on average about 24 mpg city. On the highway, I got about 29mpg. Best I've been able to get was 31mpg, but that was drag racing, with plenty of octane booster.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:29 AM
Your gas mileage has a lot to do with the weight you have in the car, I the trunk of mine packed with tools and only got 24 avg.. emptied it out and i'm back up around 28-29 average. Also check your air filter and make sure its not too plugged up, I got an extra 1-2 after I cleaned and recharged mine. And A/C shouldn't hurt mileage on the highway much.. you should have enough power to run it on the highway. But in town it is always better to shut it off and roll down the windows because your always driving much slower in town with less rpms.. so more fuel to burn. Read the gas saving thread and see if theres anything else you can do.
Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:21 PM
I have a carpenter belt strapped up where the grocery net used to be and it full of tools . probably an extra 50-60 lbs ill tell my gf she cant ride because I gotta save fuel and my tools aint leaving lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search