Motor swap? Not to a J body? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor swap? Not to a J body?
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:27 PM
Kind of a random/out there question, Tried to search for it but not really sure how to word it and find in search.. but what would it take to put a motor from a Jbody into something else? Obvious custom mounts and such, wiring harness, sensors and computer.. Any year that would be best to swap? ( Thinking of a Quad or LD9 ) also how to bypass security systems or migrate to a new vehicle. also not a jbody trans.. custom/adapted clutch and flywheel would be used... Just thinking of a possible future project for when I have disposable income... Comments and criticism are welcome.

Re: Motor swap? Not to a J body?
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:27 PM
why would you want to use a j-body motor?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:37 AM
If I were to do that...I would personally use an ecotec
Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:44 AM
Why a J body motor? because I want a GM motor, I guess other platforms have the same engines, but since this is a J site, going with J.

I think a inline 4 would be better in this case considering a v6 wouldn't fit well in the space available to use.

I wouldn't mind an ecotec, but there is limited supply of them here, I have never seen an eco in any of the local yards and don't want to go very far to get one, It is easier in this case to use a LD9 or another older quad engine since they are very plentiful.. spare parts galore.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:53 AM
what would be a cool build would be a Eco swapped honda EG hatch ......but thats just me

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:25 PM
Jordan wrote:.

I wouldn't mind an ecotec, but there is limited supply of them here, I have never seen an eco in any of the local yards and don't want to go very far to get one, It is easier in this case to use a LD9 or another older quad engine since they are very plentiful.. spare parts galore.

if u lived near ga u could come to my local yard theres prolly 10 ecos sitting there,theres even a 5sp cavy ls
Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:25 PM

if u lived near ga u could come to my local yard theres prolly 10 ecos sitting there,theres even a 5sp cavy ls
Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:36 PM
The Jew wrote:what would be a cool build would be a Eco swapped honda EG hatch ......but thats just me

Its been done by a guy in Nova Scotia with a Hahn turbo on it.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:18 PM
The Jew wrote:what would be a cool build would be a Eco swapped honda EG hatch ......but thats just me

That's what I wanted to do for a looong time
Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:38 PM
Daniel Cooper wrote:

well the trouble is, here in northern iowa there aren't any eco's in the yards, none of the small time yards have any, or even the bigger pick n pull. the newest cars they have there are only in the early 2000's
Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:05 PM
jordan - have you tried grab n go up in spencer? ive seen a couple ecos in there from time to time.. they always have LD9s as well..

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:55 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:jordan - have you tried grab n go up in spencer? ive seen a couple ecos in there from time to time.. they always have LD9s as well..

Been there several times, thats where I got my saturn parts.. i'm only a half hour from there on 18 in emmetsburg... but most recently, no eco's.. there are a few newer things coming in but they have rotated alot of their stock now and still slim pickings. still pisses me off they crushed the red z vert before I could get the driver seat outta it... they haven't had any more z's in yet. They also crushed a purple beretta z26 with a complete perfect (for its age) body kit. i was thinking of getting it for my car but nope...
Friday, September 30, 2011 3:25 PM
LOL my buddy got the seats out of that z26 and i got the vert strut bar from that red one.. as well as the green one sitting next to it.

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:54 PM
that musta been a long time ago cause the red z was gone about the middle of summer, after my seat broke unfortunately. I think i saw the z26 when it was pretty fresh but didn't have money to get the kit and it was gone the next time I was there, and i never saw a green z when i was there. still need that driver z seat if you come across one
Saturday, October 01, 2011 11:17 AM
i have a mint rear z26 rear bumper (BRM), MRZ shock tower brace, FFP 60 degree V6 alum. UD pulley, and 4 GTZ wheels id like to sell if ur interested...

Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:43 PM
Nahh I'm good for now, I been wanting to get some crosslace wheels like kurt had on it before, I liked how they looked on there, grab n go is so high with their aluminum cores though it sucks. And the beretta is either gonna stay a beater car, currently sitting with a bad trans no reverse, or its gonna get dropped onto a Jeep Grand Wagonneer chassis... hard to justify trying to fix it up at this point, interiors shot, motor is weak and the trans issue..

Kinda got wayyyy off the motor swap subject lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search