Imported From.. Canada? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Imported From.. Canada?
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:28 PM
Ok, here's the deal (and yes, I did a search first): I want to buy a member's Sunfire, but he lives up in Ontario and I'm down here in Florida. I had my gf print out documentation about bringing cars over, but it reads more like shipping cars in from overseas, so it doesn't really help. Can anyone here, maybe someone with actual experience, break down what needs to be done so he can just drive the car down and we transfer paperwork? Or Hell, maybe even what would be needed for me to fly up and drive it back myself?

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Re: Imported From.. Canada?
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:53 PM
Found this with a quick google search

Talk with someone at the DMV... I'm sure they could answer a few questions for you.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:06 PM
The people at the DMV here are pretty useless, actually. But that link was pretty helpful. The thing I keep seeing is purchasing a car from a dealer, which I'm not doing. I'm guessing that the current owner would have to do the things like calling GM and getting a letter stating that the car meets US requirements, and so forth?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:11 AM
Depending on your states emissions laws I guess. I don't understand why someone from Canada couldn't just drive down somewhere in the states and sign the title over.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:38 AM
We dont have emissions testing here in Florida.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:42 AM
Ya, he should be able to drive the car across from Windsor and sell it to you.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:07 PM
What's Windsor? LOL..

I figured that customs would have to be involved in some way to make this happen, give some kind of clearance for the DMV to let me swap paperwork over. Retried the DMV again today and still can't get an answer. It's like these people are in full retard mode lately. I'd like to know what they'd do or how they'd react if I showed up with Canadian registration and titlework... would they still not know what to do? I guess I just need to call FDOT and see what they say...

No one has done this yet?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:20 PM
A friend of mine just brought a camaro over into Canada. Basically, you buy the car like you would any, but you have to give customs 72 hours notice if I remember correctly to get all of the paperwork done. Other than that, I do believe that is about it.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:26 PM
Any idea on what I can expect to pay the customs people?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:10 PM
When he got to the border he had to pay 5% GST, and $100 for A/C. I'm going to say as long as the papers for the car land at customs 72 hours prior to the car so they can do the required title searches, all you have to pay is an a/c tax and any applicable sales tax when you cross the border, the same as if you bought the car in the states.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:54 PM
So it's the same coming in as it is going out? Because the dude is also looking to bring a car back with him and he seems to be curious as to the process as well...

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:44 AM
It should be. I know that was going into Canada, but I can't see it being that much different the other way around.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:33 PM
Ok, so word from the FDHSMV... all he has to do is drive the car here, we take it to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, they run the VIN to make sure it's legit (no emissions testing), and that's it. They sign off on it, we take it across the street to the DMV, and do the paperwork. Seems a lil... too easy?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:21 PM
Almost scary easy. What are you getting for a sunfire?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:49 PM
It looks like it's up in the air, so I don't wanna drop names and cars yet in case things change. Though, he's more than welcome drop info himself.

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:41 AM
When we bring cars back to Canada, as said paper work 72 hours in advance. This allows them to check for theft, leins etc. pay our normal provincial taxes, in your case I'd think what ever Florida's tax is. I'm thinking it's the same way going back. We've driven cars down but usally scrap em when we get there lol
Now the thing with new cars is Canada won't let some in because of safety standards, yours being lower I don't see it being a problem.
He's a bitch, worried about getting back for no reason lol

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:52 AM
And if ya want a concert awnser right away call Canada/US custom at the boarder, they also have a web site, I'm on my phone and can't remeber off hand what the site is. It will tell you.
And Windsor Ontario would mostlikly be the boarder used to cross into Detroit

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:10 AM
Wait, he's worried about getting home? I thought he was buying a car while he was in the States?

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:12 AM
We both plan on buying cars in the Vegas area and drive home. He's got no experience in bringing stuff back, I've been doing it for years, usally not this new, but same game. I dunno if worried is the word, just lots of questions, I'm just getting in and driving lol

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:09 PM
Well help that man out lol. My gf called US/Canadian customs today, and according to the woman, he needs to fill out these two forms, then he takes the car to customs, they clean out the undercarriage, do an inspection, run the paperwork, then sign off on it, making it legal to register and title here. She didn't say anything about 72 hours in advance, though. She did say that once they do the inspection, the car has to leave then. If he goes back home, they have to redo it. It actually doesn't seem too terribly bad, I just need to relay the info to him and figure something out. I told him I have no issues making the drive if I have to. He's worried about bringing it here, and me not wanting it. I was like..

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:18 PM
so i have looked at doin this US to ontario

I must notify US customs 72 hours before MINIMUM to have a title search done

if this passes then the car has to be able to be allowed in the country
a sunfire YES
then a federal (canadian safety inspection must be done) for cars comin in to canada they need to have DRLs install as its a canadian law
then i have to get a provincial (state for US people) saftey and etest done
i will also have to pay the RIV (registar of Imported vehicals) 195 to have the car branded as a legal canadian vehical

plus any says tax thats applied at the boarders. not to knock on the sale but i must be a hell of a deal to go through that to get a sunfire since you can get one in florida that likely wasn't ever exposed to the snow.

WE BUY FROM THE US FOR THAT REASON.

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:19 PM
There's a couple cars I'd like to bring down to Texas from Canada. If the car is at least 25 years old there are NO customs or DOT or EPA hassles. So as of January anything 1988 or older is easy to import.

The Nissan Micra is one: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/Micra/VICTORIA/British%20Columbia/19_6201826_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

The other kind of car I'd like to import would be the Mercedes B Class, but they only sold those from 2006 on and they're supposed to be available here in the US starting in 2014.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search