98 pontiac sunfire 2.2L automatic, ERLS fuse, Help - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 pontiac sunfire 2.2L automatic, ERLS fuse, Help
Friday, March 29, 2013 8:38 PM
I have a 98 pontiac sunfire 2.2L automatic. The ERLS fuse keeps blowing. I have found a digram that lists: evap solenoid, evap purge valve, transaxle (TCC valve, 1-2 shift solenoid, 2-3 shift solenoid)

I have unhooked both the EVAP items, and the ERLS fuse still blows, so its must be one of the three transmission related items. The fuse blows the moment I turn the ignition on...

So my question is, does that narrow it down on which of the transmission items it is?

I would assume that would rule out the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift solenoids, because, the car is just sitting in park, not running, all I do is turn the key to the on position when it blows the fuse.

I am guessing it must be the TCC valve or a short? but I cant know for sure, because maybe the shift valves are supposed to reset or something when you first turn the car on. Any help is appreciated.

Update: I unhooked the big round plug from the front of the tranny, and unhooked 2 plugs toward the back of the tranny that plug into a black thingy hooked to a cable, Im assuming that is one or both shift solenodis.

The fuse is still blowing.... So I am guessing there is a short in a wire someplace, debating trying to find the short or just go to the wrecking yard and get another harness..

here is the digram I used:

Re: 98 pontiac sunfire 2.2L automatic, ERLS fuse, Help
Friday, March 29, 2013 10:25 PM
kinda figured it out.

The pink wire that runs to ERLS fuse, should be hot when the ignition is in run.

So I unhooked my battery, and tested for continuity between that pink wire and ground... and it has continuity.

So I am guessing that wire is shorting to ground someplace, which is why the fuse pops the moment I turn the key to 'on'.

now I just have to figure out how to find the short....I could just run a new wire, snip the old one and run new wiring from erls, to the tranny plug pin E and to t he evap stuff....

Pin E PNK 439 Ignition 1 Voltage
Re: 98 pontiac sunfire 2.2L automatic, ERLS fuse, Help
Friday, March 29, 2013 11:11 PM
Bingo, got under the dash to snip the wire going to the ERLS fuse, and its all melted.

If I had to guess, the fuse was probably blowing because one of those solenoids was stuck....

so the previous owner probably put to big a fuse or a paper clip in there and melted the wiring.

So after I replace the wiring, if the fuse still blows then I will check the ohms on those solenoids, the car is low miles, so its most likely the EVAP solenoids, dont think the tranny solenoids would already have a problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search