need opinons about buying a cav - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need opinons about buying a cav
Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:30 PM
i found a used cavalier that is exactly what i've been looking for, and its actually in my price range. i recently went to take it for a test drive, and while i was there i snapped some pics. the thing is the car has been modified already, and i need some opinions on whether i should go for it or stay away from it. the car started up fine, and drove fine, but the "service light" was on and the "trac off" light was on. when i asked the dealer he said they just got this car in and since it sits so low they haven't been able to get it on the rack to check it out. he said whatever they find out it is they will fix it before i buy it. he also said if i didn't like the low suspension he would swap it back to stock.

the car is an 05 ls sport automatic with 55,000 miles...on with the pics...

i know the blue wire @!#$ has to go, and the previous owner left the sub wire laying there...but other than that does it look straight? i know without seeing it in person its hard to tell, but any input is appreciated. also, if anybody knows why that "trac off" light is on. thanks

Re: need opinons about buying a cav
Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:39 PM
check to see if its riding on coilovers or cut springs ... its looks pretty low. makes me think its on some coilovers. and i also spy a 4-2-1 header nice. !!

]
Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:43 PM
where the hell is that brown wire going? the one you can see in pic #4...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:34 PM
it is on coil covers. thats why he said he would swap it for stock suspension. he flat out told me he didn't like it THAT low. i admit i loved how low it sat, but i wouldn't wanna risk an accident on bad suspension. i have a brand new set of goldline springs in my basement and i'd probably just buy some konis.

the brown wire i forgot to mention. it was running with the sub wire to a piller pod inside. they had two gauges hooked up, but they pulled the wire for whatever reason.
Monday, February 11, 2008 12:47 AM
If thats the car you want then im sure you could have it looking really good, I love black. Would be nice to find out why the service light is on though?

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Monday, February 11, 2008 2:11 AM
c-show wrote:Would be nice to find out why the service light is on though?

yeah if they are a dealership, then there is no reason to NOT have them check that out
and if the car is on coils, then all they have to do is raise them up so they can get it on the rack.

im not very trusting of dealerships to begin with, and its just little things like that that make me trust them even less.

coming back in 2008...
Monday, February 11, 2008 6:06 AM
Keep the suspension on the car (if it's good brand) then buy the car,

sell the coilovers, make some money back, then put your goldlines/konis on.

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Monday, February 11, 2008 9:44 AM
(tabs) wrote:
c-show wrote:Would be nice to find out why the service light is on though?

yeah if they are a dealership, then there is no reason to NOT have them check that out
and if the car is on coils, then all they have to do is raise them up so they can get it on the rack.

well if they dont have the spanner wrenches i dont see how they could do that? i guess possibly try and track down a tuner shop somewhere and locate a set? its possible...

anyways, for the engine light and trac off light, usually that has to do with the IAT sensor, but i see its hooked up so i dont understand that.

drive the car, if it shifts hard and funny then its probly just that sensor, maybe they didnt hook it up right or something...

the car looks pretty clean and straight... but i wouldnt buy it unless they get those lights and or whatever is causing them to come on all fixed up. how much they asking?

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:33 AM
i agree with everyone..definately have them check that stuff out..and if its straight...go for it if its in your price range..which is another factor..mind me asking how much they want for it? thats another major factor that comes into play when the service light etc. is on...if its priced to low..id watch out.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:16 PM
you can adjust coils w/o a spanner wrench. you can use anything that will fit into the notch of the perch and turn it. ive had to do that a handful of times back when i had my coils because i was always misplacing my set. the dealership is just being lazy or is trying to conceal a defect so they can sell the car for more.

coming back in 2008...
Monday, February 11, 2008 4:28 PM
(tabs) wrote:you can adjust coils w/o a spanner wrench. you can use anything that will fit into the notch of the perch and turn it. ive had to do that a handful of times back when i had my coils because i was always misplacing my set. the dealership is just being lazy or is trying to conceal a defect so they can sell the car for more.

and if its on GC .. theres no need for wrenches. i never use them on mine. just a simple loosening of the allen screw and some turning of the bottom pearch .. i would check to see what kind of coilovers is on the car. if there cheap ones expect more problems with the car.

]

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:29 PM
If they can't get it onto one of their racks then how are they gonna swap out your suspension. Don't expect it to be free eather.
If they do swap it out, I am sure that they are gonna charge you for the price of the suspension somehow.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:47 PM
I doubt the suspension is of any quality... look at the top of the strut shaft.... no adjuster meaning its not Konis or Kyb agxs even thats for sure.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:24 PM
if you get it, i would suggest a bypass valve on the cold air intake. the engine doenst like sucking up water. did they cap the hose going to the valve cover or is it open. would suggest an oil catch can and throwing away the little filter. the engine has to work harder to expell the vapors then if the intake was sucking them out. just a suggestion

SMILE!! YOUR ON CAMERA
Monday, February 25, 2008 1:31 PM
if the "ABS" light is on along wit the "trac off", and "service"... it's a bad wheel speed sensor.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:37 PM
Five bucks says it's sitting on Ebay coil-overs.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:47 AM
The open fitting on the intake says shoddy work all over it. It's likely the rest of the work sucks too.

The dealer can simply drive the car on some boards to get it on a hoist. Teh car is too low for good driving habits. It says a lot about the previous owner.

If the body is in perfect condition, I might consider the car, but I would expect to have to redo everything. I would bet the underside of that car has taken some hits.

Go find another car that hasn't been abused.

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:19 PM
It's almost guaranteed that any modded car has been beat on. Suspension is more than likely crap. Offer them $3,000 I guess, and imo that's generous for a car that's been ragged on with a cheap suspension and check wallet, err engine light on.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search