2001 Cavalier Oil Filter Relocation (base model) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 Cavalier Oil Filter Relocation (base model)
Monday, February 09, 2009 8:03 AM
The oil filter is next to impossible to get at on this car.

Are there any known write-ups on installing an oil filter relocation kit?

I figured with the impossible location of this filter, there would be a lot of people doing relocations, however I've scoured the net for 1/2 hr or so and to my surprise I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Scott

Re: 2001 Cavalier Oil Filter Relocation (base model)
Monday, February 09, 2009 8:15 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294924653+4294908216+4294907963+115+4294925232

honestly i dont understand what is so hard about it but theres some bypass plates for relocating the filter

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Monday, February 09, 2009 8:23 AM
Yeah, pretty easy. I have heard of people getting a 90* elbow off a donor car (dont remember which cars had the removable elbow with the same thread) that puts the filter right at the wheel well, so you just turn the wheel, and turn the filter off.

Monday, February 09, 2009 9:48 AM
Must have a 4speed.... Just go from the top. Makes it much easier...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, February 09, 2009 9:55 AM
It is an automatic (2.2L non-ecotec)

The oil filter is located on the back side of the engine and very difficult to reach, as the hole in the bottom of the subframe is barely big enough to get your arm through.
Monday, February 09, 2009 10:00 AM
do you have a fat arm or something? i think it is a cake walk to get to

Monday, February 09, 2009 10:20 AM
John Benham wrote:Yeah, pretty easy. I have heard of people getting a 90* elbow off a donor car (dont remember which cars had the removable elbow with the same thread) that puts the filter right at the wheel well, so you just turn the wheel, and turn the filter off.
early 2nd gen ohv cars. my 89 had one, puts the filter right in the wheel well.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:34 AM
Well, I just checked one of the oil filters and it says the thread is 18mm

This is the cheapest kit that I can find that includes the 18mm threaded adapter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-G4985

Plus not only is it the cheapest, but it has the longer 72in hose vs other kits that are more expensive that only include 36 inches (18inches when the hose is cut in 1/2)

I've read on some other forums that people say that kits sold with only 36 inches of hose are a waste because it doesn't give you enough hose length to actually relocate the filter.

So I went ahead an ordered one these Summit Oil Filter Relocation Kits
Part Number: SUM-G4985

I hope it works.
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:35 AM
well post some pics of how you do it...be nice to see

Monday, February 09, 2009 2:45 PM
I never had trouble getting to mine. Only complaint I had was that it was directly over the exhaust flex coupler.

Monday, February 09, 2009 3:39 PM
i do mine, with no tools. stock location

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:26 AM
Shadowfire wrote:I never had trouble getting to mine. Only complaint I had was that it was directly over the exhaust flex coupler.

x2

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2992749
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:56 PM
02ls wrote:
Shadowfire wrote:I never had trouble getting to mine. Only complaint I had was that it was directly over the exhaust flex coupler.

x2

before you drain your oil, put a piece of tinfoil over where it drips. after its done dripping, pull the foil off and put a new piece on. leave it in place till your next change (i usually just wrap the whole thing over. blends right in with my armourcoated pacesetter when you put the dull side out.) every time after you put the new filter on, replace the tinfoil. presto, no more smokey pipe for days after an oil change.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:01 PM
If you have a strut tower brace in the way and don't want to remove it, go from below. You can pull the filter out of the passenger wheel well, behind the axle. I could pull the filter out of the hole made by the subframe/transmission before I had an aftermarket exhaust (2 1/2" downpipe). As far as the flex pipe being directly under the filter, I always used the box from the oil filter. Just open both ends and tear it at the glued flap. Just place the disassembled box over the flex pipe, opening down, obviously. I never had a problem.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:17 AM
thanks for the tips, ill have to try those.

Friday, February 27, 2009 9:12 PM
I posted a write-up on adding the relocation kit in a seperate thread.

Here is the link:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=143468&t=143468

If the link goes dead, do a search. The title of the thread reads:

2001 Cavalier Oil Filter Relocation - Pictures & Instructions
Friday, February 27, 2009 9:16 PM
The write-up is also posted on my website at:

http://www.keystonepowdercoating.com/cavalieroilfilterrelocation/

I hope this information helps when you tackle this project. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Ask for Scott

Phone:
724-545-1321

Email:
CustomerService@KeystonePowderCoating.com
Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:52 PM
what a stupid spot to put the filter so every time you cchange your oil it drips all over the fan so when it turns on it flings it all over the engine bay

not to mention the way that filer is sitting and so high wouldn't it constantly drain its self back down to the pan everytime he shuts it off, leaving the filter empty untill it gets pumped back up.

i think that guy is just lazy and doesn't wanna lay on his back to remove it, should just mount it at the bottom

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:11 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:what a stupid spot to put the filter so every time you cchange your oil it drips all over the fan so when it turns on it flings it all over the engine bay

not to mention the way that filer is sitting and so high wouldn't it constantly drain its self back down to the pan everytime he shuts it off, leaving the filter empty untill it gets pumped back up.

i think that guy is just lazy and doesn't wanna lay on his back to remove it, should just mount it at the bottom
our filters have anti-backflow valves, so draining back into the pan doesn't happen.

however, i'm not a fan of the angle of the filter, as like stock, its on its side. when you fill the filter the first time (right after you change your oil) and spin it on you have to either be really quick or clean up oil.

Monday, March 02, 2009 2:34 PM
i agree, that is a stupid place to relocate it too, i havent had any problems with getting my oil filter off and on for oil changes, but some people might.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:28 PM
i know autos are a dink but if you use the small filters you should have no real issues definatly not a good place to put it, sure the only reason its there is to limit the undernieth work

whats next relocate the drain plug to the top?????

JBO since July 30, 2001

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search