oil light - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil light
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:10 AM
my oil light comes on just for a second during very hard and fast turns.Oil is about a half quart low.Is it somethig to worry about?

Re: oil light
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:18 AM
depends, if its a 2.4 then hell yes. you could be kissing your bearings goodbye if you let that keep happening.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:27 AM
yes.Its a 2.4.Been reading that if i turn to sharp and hard i can actually slosh the oil away from the sensor.I have been using 5w30 full synthetic and might try going to 10w40 regualar oil.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:28 PM
Sloshing the oil "away from the sensor" isn't the issue. Sloshing it away from the oil pickup is the issue. When this happens, the oil pressure drops and the switch turns on the light. The time interval between losing pressure and the light coming on is very small, but you don't have pressure until the light goes back out and you don't want to be flogging the engine while you count the split seconds. Whether you use 5-30 or 10-40 doesn't matter. I'd recommend you avoid the "very hard and fast turns" until you can make the necessary modifications to ensure reliability.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:31 PM
Yea its called sell it.This is just my commuter car.No money will be put into it if theres gunna be a big fix.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search