Confirmed: the Pontiac brand, R.I.P. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Confirmed: the Pontiac brand, R.I.P.
Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:33 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm

Now I wonder if I will regret removing all the emblems off my Sunfire (including painting over the logo on the rear panel and having an aftermarket front bumper with no arrow).

Re: Confirmed: the Pontiac brand, R.I.P.
Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:00 PM
mikeythemars wrote:Confirmed: the Pontiac brand, R.I.P.

FALSE

You can not use the word CONFIRMED until it comes from GM itself.

I should lock this post for inaccuracy.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:07 PM
Quote:

FOR RELEASE: 2009-04-24

Pontiac Statement Re: Media Speculation

Contrary to media speculation, General Motors has not announced any changes to its long-term viability plan or to the future status of any of its brands. GM is continuing to review its restructuring plan to go further and faster and best ensure its future success. Additional information will be released as any decisions are finalized.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=999&docid=53902

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:46 PM
Who would actually use CCN or any news channel to confirm anything? I only turn it one we I feel like being lied to

" Aint nothin' but a Peanut!"
Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:25 PM
"according to a source"

Once GM officially announces it then I will be upset. But it doesn't look too good.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:52 PM
eh i think GM is coming out with too many cars that aren't needed. They need to stick with a few selected ones and stop trying to bring out all these new brands since the economy is in the $hitter

Monday, April 27, 2009 6:55 AM
Confirmed.

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:10 AM
word, just saw it

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:10 AM
I see GM bringing Pontiac back in the future.

guess the G8 is gonna be the new Malibu. I was told that Holden is redesigning the Commodore next year.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:28 AM
It is confirmed listening to "on Point" on NPR and they are talking about the issues. Pontiac is axed by end of 2011-2012. Saturn Gets the axe end of this year. Sabb will be broken off of, Hummer will be gone. Wow.... Pontiac will be another division to RIP doubt it will return it now goes the way of oldsmobile.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you
Monday, April 27, 2009 8:11 AM
I think GM is just prolonging the inevitable. Make it look good to the government so they can keep getting money but killing off all of it's customer loyalty. Dump Hummer, ax saab or sell it off, kill buick (the last good car they made was the grand national anyways) sell off the gmc line of non heavy trucks because we don't need duplicated chevrolets with an added piece of chrome for 5k more. The saturn line was a fad of sorts, it had a good run and now it's just like everything else out there, they killed the niche when they lost the plastic body panels. It's a sad day in the automotive world. It just wont be right if somewhere down the line (if ever) GM brings back the firebird as anything else but a pontiac. When it comes time to replace the sunfire with something new I won't be buying GM.

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:33 AM
While I'll miss the Pontiac brand, mostly because I like the new badge ... it really doesn't make any business sense to have the same damn car under so many different nameplates.

Ok, the Cavalier and Sunfire were cosmetically different... but look at the G5/Pursuit compared to the Cobalt... very little difference, what's the point??? And the re-badged Aveo, Wave/G3, Suzuki Swift+ (in Canada), etc...

One car, one name. Not hard.

I WILL continue to buy GM, because I cannot support non-domestic brands (you people who buy improts and shop at Walmart every day are only helping to destroy your own economy... sorry to have to break it to you...).

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:50 AM
John Lenko wrote: (you people who buy improts and shop at Walmart every day are only helping to destroy your own economy... sorry to have to break it to you...).

very true

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:57 PM
Not happy

Monday, April 27, 2009 4:34 PM
John Lenko wrote:(you people who buy improts and shop at Walmart every day are only helping to destroy your own economy... sorry to have to break it to you...).

so so true

Monday, April 27, 2009 6:38 PM
My big wish to come from all of this is I hope that GM goes back to building most or all of their cars in the U.S. They aren't going to have as many models in a few years as they do now but they still have lots of factories here. They can either mothball them of put them to use instead of building cars in Mexico.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:38 AM
i will miss pontiac. here is something i found. agree with most of it

http://jalopnik.com/5229443/the-ten-greatest-pontiacs

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:40 AM
Everything but the Aztek I agree with. My family has always driven GM since I can remember. 72 lemans, 74 firebird, 81 bonneville woody wagon, 82 buick skyhawk, 84 firenza, 86 firenza, 89 corsica, 95 s-10, 94 saturn sl1, 93 saturn sc2 (actually 2 of them), 95 grand am, 96 grand am, 03 sunfire, 05 sunfire, 07 solstice gxp, 00 grand prix. There's only been 2 imports, a 78 datsun 280Z and my brothers 01 eclipse. Then there's my 98 Dakota. It's sad to see GM killing off the only brand that had any style.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:43 AM
i completely agree with the saturn comments as my brother has a 95 SC2 runnin 317whp and that car beats 500whp muscle cars because its PLASTIC!!!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:31 AM
Aztek, clearly that article is bull@!#$

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:00 PM
Mike (96RedCav) wrote:
John Lenko wrote: (you people who buy improts and shop at Walmart every day are only helping to destroy your own economy... sorry to have to break it to you...).

very true

Uh, i drive a 97 Sunfire, and last i checked, it was made in Mexico... since i don't live in Mexico, isn't it an import?

-------

I don't practice what I preach, because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:08 PM
stbucky wrote:
Mike (96RedCav) wrote:

very true

Uh, i drive a 97 Sunfire, and last i checked, it was made in Mexico... since i don't live in Mexico, isn't it an import?

Nope, it was made in Mexico, but good ol' USA born GM makes all the money.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:25 PM
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:46 PM
Darkstars wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

http://jalopnik.com/5229443/the-ten-greatest-pontiacs

and the 7 that killed it....

http://jalopnik.com/5231336/seven-cars-that-killed-pontiac

haha, some of the comments on that page are hilarious. My personal fav is. "you guys only found 7?"

the truth hurts lol.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:57 AM
bradsk88 wrote:Nope, it was made in Mexico, but good ol' USA born GM makes all the money.

I'm Canadian so that still makes it an import for me. The Toyota Corolla is more of a domestic to me than the j-body ever was. But whatever. I'll continue to buy what I think is the best car for me at any given time. Props to the company that builds it.

Joseph Hansen wrote:i completely agree with the saturn comments as my brother has a 95 SC2 runnin 317whp and that car beats 500whp muscle cars because its PLASTIC!!!

Umm... I'm pretty sure that Saturn's weigh more than comparable cars because of the plastic... not less...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search