repair exhaust or get a header? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
repair exhaust or get a header?
Monday, May 11, 2009 7:05 PM
so my 98 sunfire GTs (2.4) stock flex pipe took a dump on me today and the muffler shop wants about $230 CDN to repair/replace just that - new flex pipe and another pipe to weld up to the cat. I feel that is quite a bit of cash for such a simple repair. I have seen people go with a header for a little extra performance. I have searched a little around Ebay (about CDN 240 shipped for the OBX) and some performance stores at around CDN 290 in my town. I would do all the work myself. I have access to a welder but i have never done exhaust work myself before (or welding for that matter LOL)

I'm curious to know if it's worth it to do the header or should i just fix the damn thing and call it done. I have zero performance mods on it right now - possibly in the future though. Any thoughts? Where did you get your header from (especially if you're in canada)? And what other parts are needed to install a header too?

Re: repair exhaust or get a header?
Monday, May 11, 2009 7:26 PM
I say go for the mod. It will make the car a little louder but I'm sure you'll notice a difference in performance. I've owned 2 cars with headers and like the little bit of extra up and go it has =]

1997 Cavalier Z24 4Spd Auto. Magnaflow dual exhaust.
Monday, May 11, 2009 8:27 PM
I hope you have upgraded motor mounts. You need them if your not gonna have a flex pipe.

As for a choice, I say header. I love mine!

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:27 PM
hmmm, motor mounts. I'll need to search for what those go for - i seem to remember about a hundred or so. What if i just put in a cheap flex pipe too (now were going backwards, I know, haha)
the question of where you got your header is still out there though.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:03 AM
You could try and snag a used downpipe & cat from someone who's upgraded to a header.. as long as it's from a 96-98 2.4L you should be good to go. The 95 might fit too, not sure on that... but the 99+ used a different exhaust manifold, so the flange is different than the 98 one.

Maybe hit up a wrecker...

Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:02 PM
well looks like im just gonna repair the damn thing. picked up a brand new flex pipe for 50 bucks and im gonna weld it up so its just like new again... maybe when i get some more cash I'll do some real mods! Until then i guess im stock, damn.
Friday, May 15, 2009 6:11 PM
IDK.... I've had a full exhaust with a header and stock motor mounts for 2 years and havnt had any problems at all......

but apparently Im the only one......

Monday, May 18, 2009 11:29 AM
damn am i cheap... got my buddy to stick weld the stock flex back on the flange and used some exhaust repair paste to cover any holes left behind. Lets see how long this lasts, hopefully until i can get my header!
Monday, May 18, 2009 10:45 PM
^^^^^ I used some of that quick Steele puddy to patch a good sized hole in a cat once..... it never leaked again.....

if it works.... it works...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:37 AM
good to know!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:56 PM
i could be mistaken... but i know quite a few headers come with a downpipe that has a flex pipe built in... or at least theres a flexpipe in there somewhere. Unless im totally blind lol

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:36 PM
^^^^^^ Most headers come with a downpipe that has one of those flexy joints with the 2 long bolts in springs....

Friday, May 29, 2009 8:19 AM
the exhaust guys said it would break something like the header to head bolts, or the welds if i didnt put in a real flex pipe... anyone comment?
Friday, May 29, 2009 6:42 PM
Austin Roncalio wrote:the exhaust guys said it would break something like the header to head bolts, or the welds if i didnt put in a real flex pipe... anyone comment?

I have not had a flex pipe on mine in over three years ... All ok so far.. I also have a solid lower motor mount and a rksport upper mount insert

Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:32 PM
I would get a header
But if ur eliminating the flex pipe you could just tell the muffler guy to just add the. Flex pipe before the cat
That's like a got to go cause even though u put new motor mounts there still gonna where out one day

And u could get a 2 1/4 inch cat back while ur at it with nagnaflow or ur preference of exhaust
Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:01 PM
well my exhaust is having a hard time staying together so the whole thing will be replaced starting with the header and (money willing) the rest will come soon... probably something inexpensive, ill need to search a bit before deciding...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search