Im torn.. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Im torn..
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:56 AM
So..

My plans for the car officially include a 5 speed.. I thought i could resist, but i cant =P. This poses a problem for me and my 01 z24..

Ive got two choices floating around in my head.

1st: I can scope out all the parts for the swap from my 4 speed auto. Problem is, after that, im 17 years old. And while i have a somewhat decent knowlage of cars for my age, swapping trannys (which would include welding new mounts and that) isnt in my ballpark. Ive always been one to try anything to avoid paying labor, but this one might have to see a professional. So, Just to be safe ill say a grand for parts, and (a grand?) for labor. Oh and wait.. Ive got a grand worth of body work (crash damage) that would need repaired as well. So 3 grand to put my current 01Z where i want it.

2nd: I can sell my cavy for an 02 eco 5 speed. Ive always wanted an eco but the ld9 hasnt given me any problems as of yet. Id go for the 02 because i can swap all of my mods (bolt ons for the most part =P) right over. After selling my car and paying off what i still owe on the personal loan, this option would cost me 2.5 grand if i got 3 grand for my cavy and spent 4 on the 02.

While option 2 might be cheaper, i love my car! its my first car as well as my first J. I would hate to see it go, but i need a 5 speed. Plus, i know where the car is at mechanically. How well maintanace has been (since 80k anyway), as well as whats been replaced.

Bottom line is. I NEED OPINIONS.

Thanks for your time guys

Re: Im torn..
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:00 AM
save your money.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:02 AM
i vote option #2

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:04 AM
lol, advice well given.

But im afraid im pretty set on it. Besides, for what? =P

Its an expensive hobby but, it gives me something to work for.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:06 AM
Thanks double(deadblade)

Wish JBO offered polls

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:22 AM
go for option 2.

even if a reputable shop does the labour for you in switching auto to manual, you are better off getting a new car, and swapping all your usable parts. then you can part the rest of the car out, and scrap it for a couple hundred bucks.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:41 AM
I vote option 2 as well.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:45 AM
Drag it to death wrote:I vote option 2 as well.

thou joeys idea would work too

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:20 AM
Do you really think i could make good bank parting it out? the engine and trans have 107k miles on it. Im not sure it would all be worth much

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:23 AM
If you have the place to do it.. and can live without the car for a while as you do the swap, I'd say #1.

I did my own swap when I had no idea what I was doing... a few trips to the wrecking yard to measure things and collect parts, and $100 and some beer for the guy in my local car club who brought his welder over and did the mounts for me.

It was a great learning experience, and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat. Oh wait, I have... since then I learned to weld and now can do my own mounts

...j

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:40 AM
option 2 ftw!

WiGM-Tuners member.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:00 PM
Hah, my first option 1'er.

Problem is john, i dont know any locals who really know what theyre doing, plus i can even buy beer =P. But, as for the learning expierience, i would like to. Theres a good rush of pride when you do it yourself, especially since it would let me keep my baby around. I simply cant afford the both of them.

Majority has been voting option two though. Can i ask ya'll why?

Thanks again

Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:33 PM
Have you tried the Regional forum on here? Maybe you can bribe someone who has a welder with some $$$ and will come to your house.

Most people will go with #2, because they don't have the skills or the desire to swap the transmission themselves. It is quite a bit of work the first time... however rewarding it may be.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:40 PM
Wait you expect to get 3k for an 01 with body damage?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search