coolant question, what type????? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coolant question, what type?????
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:44 PM
Hey there; i am getting my coolant system totally flushed and refilled by a rad place, and the buddy said they will put prestone coolant back in my car; he said its one of the best coolants, and it mixes with anything; but my car being a 98 sunfire 2200 came with dexcool, and they manual says use that; but if my system is totally flushed i should have no problem switching coolant brands right.
I EVEN heard dexcool was not all that; i heard it breaks down after like 2 years and its suppose to be good for 5 years.
ANYONE here get a coolant flush and use something other then dexcool in there car?
thanks very much for any help.

98 j-body sedan

Re: coolant question, what type?????
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:48 PM
I did not change from Dexcool when I had my 98 flushed a couple of years ago. No problems here using Dexcool.
Anyway, from what I have heard, if you do not want to use Dexcool, you can use anything else so long as you do a complete drain and flush to insure you get all the Dexcool out of your system.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:32 PM
Thanks man.
So if a rad place flushed my sytem out, that will get rid of all the dexcool fluid, and i should be good to go to use any other coolant right; with out worries of any remainning dexcool.

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:42 PM
Thats right.

But dexcool last longer than 2 years....the 5 years means 100k km...that could be 2 years or 5...its 5yr. or 100k...which ever comes first.

My buddie just had his changed on his 97 fire. it was done in 2000 when he got the car and he just had it done again...he's never had a prob with dexcool...
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:29 AM
So i should get dex-cool then by the sounds of it; everyone seems to go with that coolant when they got a flush; i was just curious if anyone went with another coolant in there j-body.
thanks everyone.
where yall get your coolant flushed at the dealer?

98 j-body sedan

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:51 PM
first off.. when you mechanic says Prestone.. he is talking about a Brand. Prestone makes the regular green and the red dex-cool.. keep it dex cool..
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:50 PM
There is a yellow colored prestone too...its used for people that have no idea about cars and still do stuff with them anyway...so if you add green or red to it it wont matter.
It is compatable with both dexcool and the old green stuff.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:37 PM
Yes i know prestone is a brand; yellow jug, i have seen it around for years.
I am going with dex-cool the same orange crap that is in her now; getting it flushed and filled friday at a rad shop.
Thanks everyone.

98 j-body sedan

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:47 PM
Not the yellow jug...yellow fluid....
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:37 PM
Dude its in a yellow jug(prestone) and the fluid inside that yellow jug is yellow in color; i know, i seen it where i work at a reatil store; yes there are two diffrent color prestones.

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:10 PM
actually GM had a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) about Dexcool, saying to get rid of it at coolant flushes cuz it was causeing corrosions of stuff it was supposed to prevent fromcorroding, i'd say use Motorcraft Gold coolant, it's life time coolant, with a proper coolant flush kit ( contains a cleaner and two diff conditoners, our is made by BG products)

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:34 PM
Never heard about this.
Too late now; just got dex-cool today and for $90 bucks, that what i am sticking with for now.

98 j-body sedan

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:28 PM
My car is a 2002 with 102,350 miles on it and I haven't changed the anti-freeze yet. I haven't noticed any discoloration or other problems with the DexCool. The owner's manual states to change the fluid at 150,000 miles.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:01 AM
I changed my fluid at 127,000 km, and my car is a 98.
My manual say's to change after either 150,000 or 5 years, its been 8 years; so it was time.
thank's yall.

98 j-body sedan

Sunday, September 12, 2021 9:45 PM
sunfirepower97 wrote:actually GM had a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) about Dexcool, saying to get rid of it at coolant flushes cuz it was causeing corrosions of stuff it was supposed to prevent fromcorroding, i'd say use Motorcraft Gold coolant, it's life time coolant, with a proper coolant flush kit ( contains a cleaner and two diff conditoners, our is made by BG products)

I don't think that there was a TSB for our J-body's with regard to Dexcool. There was a TSB for some GM models for some years because those models/years had gaskets and other parts which were degraded by Dexcool, thereby requiring repairs. GM stopped using those Dexcool-incompatible parts but continued using Dexcool. I just flushed with Dexcool.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search