88 Sunbird GT mystery whine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 Sunbird GT mystery whine
Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:09 PM
I have an 88 sunbird gt turbo convertible with 44k original miles. Want to sell as I've got it running pretty good now after installing a new fuel filter and replacing the torque converter solenoid. Might be a little rough on idle but my biggest problem right now is this intermittent whine/growl during idle after it has warmed up that sounds like a flutist doing a bad rendition of the solo in One Night in Bangkok. Its sounds like it is coming from the overhead Camshaft area just behind the timing chain. It's not the alternator or idller pulley and water pump seems highly doubtful as well as anything pertaining to the AC unit as supposedly a mechanic ruled that out. The flute sound goes away when I rev it up. Could anything associated with the camshaft be making this noise? Thanks.

Re: 88 Sunbird GT mystery whine
Sunday, March 13, 2016 10:41 PM
Could you do a short video and you can use photobucket or youtube to host it?I would not think a car with that mileage would have a cam noise,but I cannot be certain either.I will say the 1.8 ohc is supposedly known for cam noise but,on the 2.0 IDK.I would make a new post over on the 2nd forum or even the 1st gen forum as we really would not mind helping out !!! I would do things make a video or the hood open and just a good cold start up with the camera or phone for the shoot.2nd I would take a 12 inch long flat head screw driver and place on various parts of the engine while cold to listen thru with your ear the end of the screw driver handle like a stethoscope.Sounds crazy but it may really isolate the noise.Your car being a turbo we have a long time member who is very knowledge wise on the turbo 1st gens (paul) and maybe it is your turbo making racket not the cam lobes.I am just wiped out long tiring day and being I am more oriented in the older J's in this area in maintenance just making a post to let you know it has been noted.I would seriously repost this in the 2nd gen and or 1st gen forum as we do have some credits to our know how.Ron

Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:10 PM
I'll try to do the video tomorrow. I've been trying to isolate it with a tube to the ear and I think I hear it worst when i place it next to the crank shaft damper pulley. Would it be something related to the crankshaft? Also I am also wondering if I have an oil pump going bad.
Sunday, March 27, 2016 8:35 PM
Kind of wiped out tonight longggg day working.Idk at the moment and do not want to make a wrong suggestion.However it could be the water pump as noise can translate into other areas giving off noise thru the vibration.I will revisit when I am not dead tired.

Sunday, April 03, 2016 6:51 PM
Ok. I go finally got a YouTube video up. It just doesn't sound like a water pump. Oil pump maybe? It might also be something affiliated with the timing gear? Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/DLF4imAmHZs
Sunday, April 03, 2016 10:21 PM
Jonathon I have spent 10 minutes watching this over and going back and over in spots.The ONE thing that stands out to ME is that stand alone pulley closest to the crankshaft is NOT MOVING!!!!!!!!! I might be tired but that stand alone should move ALL the time and what is happening is the belt is getting hot causing the noise.I rewatched this area specific I swear that pulley is NOT moving and the belt is just moving thru it causing the drag on the crankshaft making the belt whine.I am going to post this over in the 1st gen forum to get multiple opinons and I will share my thoughts on this with the other guys to see if they agree or disagree.Ron .

Sunday, April 03, 2016 11:10 PM
I made a NEW post about your car over in the 1st gen forum.I linked the video and it shows it on the post (not just hyperlinked). I am reaching out to my other friends on the 1st gen board for there opinion.I would HIGHLY recommend you do your follow up on our post on the the new post I made to get the most feed back to help.Go to the generations on the forum to the left and click the 1st gen forum .That car is some kind of super sweet!!!!!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search