Replace slave or new entire clutch? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replace slave or new entire clutch?
Monday, May 09, 2016 10:37 AM
Hey I have a 2005 cavalier 2.2 and the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor...lines seem to be intact and fluid is leaking from the tranny so I believe it is the slave cylinder. From what I understand if you are gonna replace the slave might as well do the whole clutch, but is this correct? I am being quoted like 1500 for this job from local shops, and because about 800 of this is for their LUK parts I am thinking just to get only the slave done and hopefully save a lot of money by excluding the other more expensive parts like throw out bearing (I guess their dealership parts are marked up pretty ridiculously here in Canada).

Re: Replace slave or new entire clutch?
Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:47 PM
this happened to me a couple months ago. mechanic friend of mine recommended doing the clutch since it was about due and it might be necessary since the slave went. and if i didn't and the clutch went after the slave was repaired (or if the slave going caused a bit of damage to the clutch) then i would be paying a lot more.getting slave and clutch replaced together is a lot cheaper than getting them both replaced separately. i did save a bit of money by supplying my own parts to the shop that i picked up cheaper with a friends company discount. as i recall my friend advised not to get a new clutch wheel (? something like that?) unless it was visibly damaged. he always just had them send it out for resurfacing. the shop will probably offer to install a new one while the clutch is being worked on and my friend said it was usually unnecessary.
Sunday, May 29, 2016 12:44 PM
I did my clutch this weekend and even though it was a pain in the ass it was worth doing here in the driveway. If you have a Parts Source in your town (or canadian tire) you can get the clutch kit for $400 and it comes with a 1 year warranty. . I had to buy some tools and jack stands and brake cleaner and etc. So all in it was $550. If you have any technical questions feel free to ask while the process is still fresh in my mind lol

What one man can do another can do and it's a one man process.
Wednesday, June 01, 2016 3:39 PM
Hi Dale,

Is that correct that the whole sub frame needs to be lowered to get the transmission out?
This is what the factory service manual mentions. That does not sound like much fun...

Thanks, Peter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search