thermostat housing removal??? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
thermostat housing removal???
Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:22 PM
O.k. just bought a 2004 cavalier 2.2L ecotec. Wife drove it aprox 50 miles with no problems. the next day it developed a coolant leak, which has been fixed (was a bolt on the water pump body, next to the drain screw).
Now the leak has moved. The bottom bolt on the thermostat housing has broke. I "think" it's from over tightening, but not 100% sure.

Is this housing removable? Can the bolt easily be removed or do I need to get another housing (from a junkyard since no part stores has them)?

Any help would be appreciated. We've had this car going on 3 weeks, and she hasn't been able to drive it, but 2 days (well, 1.5)

thanks

Re: thermostat housing removal???
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:50 AM
Im pretty sure it is but Idk 100% I've replaced thermostats but Idk about replacing that entire piece. Im sure its possible though .

G
Re: thermostat housing removal???
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:40 PM
If the head is cracked or in my case the whole corner broke off it can be repaired. Might be cheaper to buy a whole used head instead of getting it fixed. My bill with head resurfaced and for labour was bout 1400. My opinion is to replace it if ur able to do the work. Might be able to retap a new bolt hole if its doable

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search