2000 Cavalier Manual first gear problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Cavalier Manual first gear problems
Saturday, November 26, 2016 11:40 AM
Hello all,

I have a 2000 cavalier with 156k on it, I cannot get it to go into first gear unless I put it into second, the it will allow me to shift into second. This is terribly annoying. Is there a shift cable problem I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Re: 2000 Cavalier Manual first gear problems
Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:35 AM

I have a 2001 manual and I have had this exact same problem for the last several years. I thought I was the only one since I never heard or saw anyone else mention it. I have become so used to dropping it down into second before going into first every time, I barely think about it but would love to know what the cause or solution is. The only time it really is annoying is when I'm stuck in traffic and have to constantly stop and start.

But I've got so many other problems and disasters to deal with on my car right now (clutch, fuel pump, etc......) it is almost easier to list the things that still work instead of the
things that are broken.
Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:48 PM
dark ipod wrote:Hello all,

I have a 2000 cavalier with 156k on it, I cannot get it to go into first gear unless I put it into second, the it will allow me to shift into second. This is terribly annoying. Is there a shift cable problem I should be looking for?

Thanks.

I would try adjusting the shifter cables.
I posted directions here

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, November 27, 2016 9:26 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:
dark ipod wrote:Hello all,

Thanks.

I would try adjusting the shifter cables.
I posted directions here

Nice, I will look into this tomorrow, thanks for the reply.

Would you happen to know if a instrument cluster out of an auto will work in my manual? I cannot for the life of me understand why they wouldnt put a damn TACK in a manual vehicle. I have been driving it for years now but if I ever want to teach someone to drive a stick its harder imo.
Monday, November 28, 2016 1:44 PM
If it is a 2000-2005 any sunfire or cavalier cluster is interchangeable, they are all plug and play.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, December 03, 2016 10:44 PM
I have been looking for a copy of the service manual thats in correct order, is there anyone who could send that to me in a PM?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search