Trans won't shift after head gasket job - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trans won't shift after head gasket job
Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:46 PM
hey what's up? Let's get down to business.

I have a 2001 ohv 2.2L / 3t40 cavalier.

I just changed the head gasket on it and hooked everything ( I think ) back up.

I test drove it around my neighborhood and it would not shift out of first gear. It stayed in first no matter how high I revved the engine.

Before I did the HG job, the transmission had NO issues. None.

What leads me to believe is I may have unplugged some sensors and/or vacuum lines and not plugged em back in or in the wrong socket.

Does anyone know if there are any sensors or vac lines around the intake manifold or back of the engine that control shifting?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Trans won't shift after head gasket job
Wednesday, October 05, 2016 12:57 PM
A 3T40 has a TV cable (well they do on the 92 and 94 I have).
Are you sure you put it back in the right place? It hooks to the throttle body on the lever the throttle and cruise control cables hook to. If you have it hooked up wrong, it may be pulling too tight when you give it the gas and not allowing the trans to shift. They are adjustable. You can do a search on YouTube to see how they adjust for proper operation.
Friday, December 23, 2016 8:55 PM
I used to have the 3 speed auto in my 95 sunfire, and it did NOT have a cable linkage on the throttle body near the gas pedal or cruise control cable.
But i would agree, it probably is the electrical connections. Maybe try unseating it, and pushing the main wiring harness that goes into the trans, back in. Maybe it had a loose connection.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:34 AM
I thought the 3 speed transmissions were manually controlled, where a 4 speed is electronic. I know on a 4 speed if the VSS is not connected it will not shift.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:38 PM
Addicted to meth, I think you're right. I swapped my 3 speed to a 5 speed 10 years ago, and I guess my memory is failing me.
here's a picture of the 95-97 (can tell from the valve cover) and it does have what looks like a physical cable from the throttle body.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search