2004 manual transmission cables - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 manual transmission cables
Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:08 AM
Hello. I need to change my cables but can't figure out how to disconnect them from the transmission. Anybody out there that can guide me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Re: 2004 manual transmission cables
Wednesday, March 01, 2017 5:00 PM
take a big screw driver or pry bar, wrap the end in electrical tape or a rag and wedge the bar/screwdriver under the plastic end and pop it off. There is a ball on the end of the actuators and just a socket on the plastic end piece. It doesn't fall off super easy, but don't be afraid to give it some ass. Just make sure you are prying up not sideways.

Saturday, September 07, 2019 5:01 PM
I'm in the same boat with an 03, but I cant seem to find the right cables. Don't know the length specs and none of the parts stores can even find a part or number. It grinds and pops into 1st, and grinds into 3rd and 5th. No issues with the other gears. I'm hunting the web but can't find anything.
Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:44 AM
You may be able to adjust your cables to solve the issue. If it’s the stock shifter, there is a metal piece on the back of the shifter assembly near the ball that can be pushed in to center the shifter. You can unlock the grey and white ends by gently prying up on the front side. With the shifter centered, it should allow the cables to self adjust. Lock the white and grey mechanisms back down on the cables and see how it does.

If it doesn’t solve the issue, new shift cables can usually be sourced via eBay.

Sunday, September 22, 2019 1:49 PM
I don't like that design. Held in place with a coil spring? I think I got one good shift to first and it came out of where I had it set. Still think the cable I took out was stretched though, I had pushed it all the way in and still had the issue. It's possible the coil spring is fatigued and not grabbing like intended.
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:37 PM
Im new here at I body but am currently in the same situation.. You have to get them from gm or online but the part number is 22707146.. I got mine from Amazon but did find them other places online
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search