muffler/exhaust hotter than normal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
muffler/exhaust hotter than normal
Monday, July 02, 2018 6:36 AM

What would cause the muffler area of the exhaust to radiate much more heat than usual? At first, I thought this was just my imagination, but now I'm pretty sure that a whole bunch of other problems (trunk condensation, lack of AC system to cool the car's interior, etc....) that I haven't had until recently are all actually a result of my muffler being way way way hotter than it has been for the last 17 years. Even long after I have turned off the engine, when open the trunk, the left side (above the muffler) feels like the inside of an oven. It is like having a space heater running inside the engine and is causing problems. Is this a thing? What would be the likely causes/solutions? Only other performance issues that have started recently has been rough running in the morning which I had chalked up to needing new spark plug wires. Checked under the hood - have a little oil around the breather hose on top of the valve cover, but nothing obvious going on and no CEL on. Am I losing my mind or is something broken / clogged further up into the exhaust system that would cause this?

Re: muffler/exhaust hotter than normal
Monday, July 02, 2018 7:44 AM
Is the heat shield rotted away or missing? Maybe the cat is plugged up? Did you have the head resurfaced recently?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search