oil pressure switch - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil pressure switch
Friday, February 08, 2019 9:22 AM

2001 2.2 5-speed manual.

Is it possible to replace the oil pressure switch from the top without going under the car? That is how I change the filter. Also do you seriously need a special socket just for this one part ? Is it some odd-ball tool or will regular socket/ratchet set have what is needed? What's different about it than a regular socket?

Symptoms - over last month or so burning oil smell constantly, have searched for any leaks but it has leaked around the valve cover gasket forever so everything is covered with oil already so hard to tell/see anything new but figured location of sensor would mean it would drip down on the exhaust.....then when driving this morning for the first time ever (in 18 years) the oil pressure light came on very briefly - like for half a second - twice. So I added a quart of oil and it hasn't come on again but I have a feeling I am going to need to replace this switch.

Re: oil pressure switch
Saturday, February 09, 2019 8:12 AM
No idea about access to it from above on a 3rd gen. I really don't know anything about them. My experience is with 2nd gen.
The socket for the oil pressure (gauge) switch is deeper than most deep well sockets that come in sets. They also have a hex end so you can use a wrench on it, if you don't have room for a ratchet on it.
I have one and they do make removal and installation of the sender a snap. But they are kinda pricey. That said, mine have the long sender for the oil pressure gauge. The short ones for the idiot light may be okay using a regular deep well socket.

Most often if a special tool is called for, its the best way to go. They are designed especially for their purpose and save you much time and hassle. I have a number of Kent Moore tools and while I spent a good bit for them, they have proven to be worth every cent. Check ebay for the socket, you might find a good deal on a used one, if you do indeed need the long one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search